Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know exactly where to put this, but has anyone successfully hunted coyotes? How did you do it? We basically live in the national forest on a mountain. They only seem to come out at night, and I want them gone.

Our livestock dogs are locked in the barn with the sheep and goats at night and in the pasture during the day, so they don't go up the mountain to hunt them. The house dogs just chase them off when we let them out. There seem to be more and more of them,and I hate hearing them howl at night.
I worry about them getting bold enough to hunt during the day and if there is enough of them hurt the dogs ( can they?).

So how does one hunt a coyote?

Oh, I don't want to put traps out, the dogs might get in them

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,695 Posts
Don't know exactly where to put this, but has anyone successfully hunted coyotes? How did you do it? We basically live in the national forest on a mountain. They only seem to come out at night, and I want them gone.

Our livestock dogs are locked in the barn with the sheep and goats at night and in the pasture during the day, so they don't go up the mountain to hunt them. The house dogs just chase them off when we let them out. There seem to be more and more of them,and I hate hearing them howl at night.
I worry about them getting bold enough to hunt during the day and if there is enough of them hurt the dogs ( can they?).

So how does one hunt a coyote?

Oh, I don't want to put traps out, the dogs might get in them
we used to hunt them here in Florida with a 22 hornet

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we used to hunt them here in Florida with a 22 hornet
Maybe I didn't ask the right question...

How does one locate them? They only seem to come out at night and it's dark, and I don't have night vision . You never see them. You only hear them, loudly
We did see one run across the road a few weeks ago in the evening

As for gun, I am thinking 12 GA should take care of it

·
Let the Debate begin
6,378 Posts
Coyote Bounty Law
Coyote bounties are not administered by DGIF. Counties have the option of establishing their own coyote bounty system. For more information, hunters and trappers should contact their County Administrator or County Board of Supervisors.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/furbearerhunting/#coyote

I would find out if you can collect a bounty on those coyotes, if so, they
may provide how they expect you to do it. For instance they may require
you to use a specific type of rifle or shotgun.

·
9,695 Posts

How does one locate them? They only seem to come out at night and it's dark, and I don't have night vision . You never see them. You only hear them, loudly

I do not know what they are considered in Va. but down here they are considered a rodent, just like wild boars are. Which means here you can bait them and lay in wait. I would set up some kind of minimal lighting around the bait area and then go to the sporting goods and get some of that scent away spray and set up a blind so they actually take the bait and while they are there open fire. and if you use 00 buck you will probably get more than one with a single shell.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,378 Posts

You should find out if you can use bait. If so, you bait them, than
when they start eating, shoot them.

Edit" Ghost beat me by 10 seconds

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coyote Bounty Law
Coyote bounties are not administered by DGIF. Counties have the option of establishing their own coyote bounty system. For more information, hunters and trappers should contact their County Administrator or County Board of Supervisors.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/furbearerhunting/#coyote

I would find out if you can collect a bounty on those coyotes, if so, they
may provide how they expect you to do it. For instance they may require
you to use a specific type of rifle or shotgun.
It's our own private property that just happens to be located in the national forest. When we moved here we were told we can shoot them whenever we want by the game warden. He came up here because our neighbor wanted to shoot some deer out of season because they were eating his garden

But still, not a bad idea, I could call and ask them how to do best do it

·
Let the Debate begin
6,378 Posts
It's our own private property that just happens to be located in the national forest. When we moved here we were told we can shoot them whenever we want by the game warden. He came up here because our neighbor wanted to shoot some deer out of season because they were eating his garden

Make sure you get the name of who gives you advice in case some one
tries to accuse you of hunting something you are not hunting.
Its amazing the lengths those wardens will go to catch poachers.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not know what they are considered in Va. but down here they are considered a rodent, just like wild boars are. Which means here you can bait them and lay in wait. I would set up some kind of minimal lighting around the bait area and then go to the sporting goods and get some of that scent away spray and set up a blind so they actually take the bait and while they are there open fire. and if you use 00 buck you will probably get more than one with a single shell.
same here, same as raccoons and skunks, no boars here

I tried that with the raccoons at the chicken coop a few years ago. i sat there half the night waiting for the damned raccoon, it didn't show until after i left. We ended up putting a camera up and caught it climbing up the chicken coop and squeezing through a small hole to get in. We got it by putting a raccoon trap with peanut butter out. Dogs or other animals can't get stuck in them.

But it's worse a try.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure you get the name of who gives you advice in case some one tries to accuse you of hunting something you are not hunting.
Its amazing the lengths those wardens will go to catch poachers.
The Amish around here hunt whatever whenever...usually the only time any sort of government official comes way out here is if someone calls them, like our law abiding neighbor with his deer problem. Everyone shoots around here
Sometimes it sounds like there is a civil war going on already . So far we haven't gotten shot at or lost a goat or sheep so hopefully everyone is careful

We haven't hunted deer since we moved here for the reason we never have room in our freezers. Currently have half a cow, some goat and lamb in there. plus whatever I have bought at the store for the coming China virus

But we have had to get rid of many raccoons and some skunks.

·
9,695 Posts
same here, same as raccoons and skunks, no boars here

I tried that with the raccoons at the chicken coop a few years ago. i sat there half the night waiting for the damned raccoon, it didn't show until after i left. We ended up putting a camera up and caught it climbing up the chicken coop and squeezing through a small hole to get in. We got it by putting a raccoon trap with peanut butter out. Dogs or other animals can't get stuck in them.

But it's worse a try.
they didn't come because they could smell you. seriously get some of that spray hunters use. it smells like crap but it works

Reactions: sonya1

·
Registered
536 Posts
Occasionally I go after the coyotes and like yours they are active at night.

While I've gotten a few during the day using a electronic call I get most of them at night using a night vision scope. I put the electronic call out in a field and sit about 100 yds downwind of the call, usually at the treeline. Usually it's only one or two yotes that approach but once you make that 1st shot they run quick as lightening. It's unusual to get more than 2 shots before they are back in cover.

I have the best results with a wounded rabbit call.

My best day and it's only happened once was I knew where they sometimes layed up under a bank by the creek during the daytime. I would check it occasionally and one day there were about 8 adult yotes and a few half grown pups there. I pulled the trigger as fast as I could dropping 3 and hitting a few more that ran off, probably to die.

We have a lot of deer around here and as long as there are deer we will have yotes in the area.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they didn't come because they could smell you. seriously get some of that spray hunters use. it smells like crap but it works
do yo think they would take the bait during the day? I am really not much of a night person, sort of night blind actually. Maybe son wants to do this, he stays up late
It was so bad last night, i opened the window in like 10 degree weather, and yelled 'shut the **** up' in the middle of the night, neighbors probably got woken up by me yelling not the coyotes:taped:

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a lot of deer around here and as long as there are deer we will have yotes in the area.
We have a ton of them also. And to be honest they are sort of annoying also. They eat the garden, if we don't put electric fencing around it, they spread worms in the pasture for the goats to get (not anymore, we put electric fencing all around now) and they destroy vehicles. Son just hit one a few months ago, thankfully his truck was not too bad

·
reluctant sinner
17,577 Posts
Don't buy anything from Acme, it never works! j/k

+1 for calling, electronic ones do work. It takes real skill to just wound a rabbit with a .270.

A poem I wrote in high school, back when I hunted brother coyote.

Do you know how to make a rabbit cry?
Step on his ears and reach his hind legs for the sky.

·
9,695 Posts
do yo think they would take the bait during the day? I am really not much of a night person, sort of night blind actually. Maybe son wants to do this, he stays up late
It was so bad last night, i opened the window in like 10 degree weather, and yelled 'shut the **** up' in the middle of the night, neighbors probably got woken up by me yelling not the coyotes:taped:
the best time that we killed them down here was at dusk, when they first start stirring for the evening. I used to have to shoot them to protect the calf's when they were young.

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
Here in the high country we've seen them pretty much any time of the day or night if we're out for a walk. A .223 or similar at 200-400 yards has proven to be quite effective. Others have made sport of it by calling them into shotgun range.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
We have a coyote problem. I shoot them on sight. I use a centerfire 22 or a 25-20. I truly love my 22 hornet but is just does not anchor them. Nor does the 22mag. I'm sure they go off and die but I want to hang them on the fence. they come in at night and the dogs keep them at bay as long as I have dogs. I lost two pyrenees to old age and am short right now. Shotgun has too short of range unless you are calling. I suggest a 22 lr or better. If you want fur or a post ornament then 223 or better.

·
Start up the rotors
7,656 Posts

Baiting works well. We hunt them here using electronic calls and scent or bait. Chicken gizzards or rabbit entrails usually.
During deer season we'll put the deer guts out in a pile and see how many we can get.
A lot of our shots are 100+ yards, an AR is perfect but guys use 22-250's, 243's, whatever.

I've shot a bunch in bar ditches from the truck using a shotgun though, it'll roll 'em up just fine. Just pass them, drive about half a mile and then turn around. Lean the shotgun out the window... Problem solved.
Had a female come up on my turkey decoy during spring turkey about ten years ago. Hadn't gotten any turkey love, so rolled her up with #4 and called it a day.
Shoot them pheasant hunting about once a year. We'll spook them in a field, or the dogs will run one out of it's den. Did have one run right through our line once, right between two shooters. They didn't shoot it because they weren't sure if it was someone's dog, lol.

I like coyotes, respect them in a way, but kill them every time I can.

Reactions: Ghost863
1 - 20 of 56 Posts