Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Trying to Live Free
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....from mobs of raiders. Only strangers come through your area. Who do you trust and allow to hunker down with you?

What are you looking for in new friendships after SHTF?

·
Registered
844 Posts
*shrug*

....from mobs of raiders. Only strangers come through your area. Who do you trust and allow to hunker down with you?

Impossible to say.

No "what if" scenario has a solution.

If you are not currently living in a viable community that takes care of it's own and knows you and what to expect of you, you should move to a viable community and become a part of that community.

"Mobs of raiders" will be turned away from a viable community and the community will "hunker down" family by family.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
no way to determine how anyone that is hungry and truely desperate will act /react ...... throw in the possibility of trauma and loss of family members ....... but I think most people can tell the difference between a street thug and a suburban dad/husband

·
Enjoy the loss of gravity
610 Posts
I'll stick a skyrocket up my cat's butt and shoot her, screaming and clawing in all directions, into the middle of the mob. They won't have a chance. :D:

Or maybe I'll just use force multipliers...
OUCH, death by ****ed off cat! LOL!:eek:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Out here "us neighbors" trust one another and are planning together. It is dark out here and if one does not know the lay of the land they would be screwed so to speak. Reference "Southern Comfort" if you wish.

If a hungry, angry mob did wander this far out, it would be the last mistake they made.

Have's and have not's. I am planning ahead and learning a great deal here, others are not - not my issue. My family, my friends and neighbors will survive.

Although I think the "entitlement crowd" will stay away, something tells me they just plain know better, desperate or not.

·
What would Mal do
4,928 Posts
agree with those who know their neighbors well in advance. We've lived here long enough to know those we trust and those we don't.

We know who is resourceful and who would be freeloading.

on my little country street..which is kind of a half moon circle, half the road (about 5 homes) are all one family..3 generations. Good folk you can rely on.

down around the bend? couple house are populated with people we keep an eye on in normal times..nothing but trash n trouble. They come calling, it won't likely be friendly and I'd have to introduce them to Jesus, Smith and Wesson.

but important is that we are just out of scope far enough that I don't expect "hoards of zombies" . Mostly just nearby folks..some good and welcome,some just panic'd, some opportunists.

·
What would Mal do
4,928 Posts
and our family plan is for my adult children to make their way to our place if they can. That would resemble the crowd we had at our house this past july 4th which included 4 adult males all out in my back yard at my target range running through a couple hundred rounds of ammo.
I currently have 4 adult males and 2 females who have their CWP, have taken additional firearms course , have their own guns and are completely capable of defending...and of course there's no shortage of tools and supplies for them to defend with here at my house.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
"If I don't know you before the SHTF, I won't know you afterwards."

I won't be looking to take anyone in. If our group has lost enough people that we are short handed, then things might change. But there's no way to get to know someone well enough to trust them in such a short amount of time. So I don't have an answer.

·
locomotive jockey
195 Posts
Our community is at the end of civilization. Very defendable with the Clackamas river and Mt. Hood Wilderness on 3 sides. I have made an effort to get to know my neighbors and we watch out for each other when were away. Im fortunate to be in such a good area. For mobs to make it out this far is a 40 mile "hike" and not realistic. There is just more to loot in other directions:juggle:

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts

That is why it is of the utmost importance to form a group of like minded individuals NOW before the SHTF!!!

After the SHTF (and I'm talking about total collapse), I will trust no strangers. If or once things settle down, then and only then will my group try to establish contact with other groups to barter etc.

But with that said, we do have contingency plans as fall backs with two other groups near us, as do they with us.

III ~ Peaceful, but prepared.

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
"Mobs" will not make it out of the cities. They are disorganized groups of people, they are a short lived events. Now the ones who make it out and are a threat will be small organized armed groups.
When it hits the fan the unprepared will gather with relatives, friends, co-workers ect. The need to take in stranger should be very small.
Preppers are not idiots, they will work together to deal with the threat. What other choice do they have.
If you haven't stocked enough weapons to arm others whats the point to take unarmed strangers in? I think in the end you will know more than enough people who will be happy to join with you if the opportunity presents itself.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm not sure what nice stranger you think will show up expecting food and lodging. I am a week-willed individual. If I were hungry for a number of days, I'd be a miserable person and a danger to have around. That's why I prep. That's why I am urging my neighbors to prep. That's why I wish to help the community's underpriveleged prep. Churches have a long history of helping the poor and distressed. Rather than direct aid, which I think is dangerous, I'd considder helping a church or soup kitchen.

David

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts

Treat mobs & raiders as just that
Trust no one
Allow no strangers.
Until things settle down keep to yourself and tell no one where your place is.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts