Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Red White and Blue
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw this article about food needs in Storm Lake IA.

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Small-Iowa-town-a-window-into-hunger-problem-in-9966644.php

***Not having access to enough food is more severe in isolated counties than urban, metropolitan areas — 64 percent of the counties with the highest rate of food insecurity for children are rural, according to data from national anti-hunger group Feeding America.

While federal statistics show incomes among the poorest 10 percent of U.S. households increased 7.9 percent last year and the proportion of Americans in poverty dropped from 14.8 percent to 13.5 percent, small towns typically lag urban areas in job and income growth, especially in the Upper Midwest, said Gary Green, a University of Wisconsin-Madison professor who studies rural issues.***

any thoughts? anyone notice food shortages / needy in rural areas?
I know of a rural church that serves meals Friday/Saturday nights and they say they are packed.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,267 Posts
There is no excuse for hunger in this country. I can find enough food in the wild, to feed a family of four adequately. I've done it. I did it for the first four months I lived in Texas. NO one went hungry... Not for a single day. At one point, I was feeding six off of wild foods, small game, and fish. We never missed a meal. This is WITHOUT being on any .gov assistance.

Children go hungry due to a failure of parental planning, and parental ignorance.

There is no excuse for it, and it makes me angry that parents are that ill equipped to feed their kids.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
If a kid goes to bed hungry in America it's their parents fault.

There's enough programs/willing people all over to feed them all.

We (as a country) are blessed.
Beat me to it. There are way too many ways to feed your children available in this country. If the parents started doing right by their children.

Al

·
Registered
98 Posts
To quote Disraeli, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, d***ed lies, and statistics." The key phrase from the article is "food insecurity." It's not the same as hunger. It means the kid thought there was a chance they'd miss a meal. It doesn't necessarily mean the respondent ever missed a meal; they just thought there was a chance it was possible. It's a relatively new catchphrase the government and non-profits now use to drum up support for additional spending on food programs. As noted above, there's far more overweight people in the US than those not getting enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Without a doubt there are many that go hungry from children to seniors and everything in between. I wonder how many people don't want to learn how to cook from scratch and make due with the basics in life vs going to a grocery store to buy pre made food that requires no effort. IMHO you get more bang for your buck by purchasing ingredients and making your food. Same goes for growing food (I've recently began learning this myself). We have gotten away from the basics in life and when I go to the grocery store I see more people buying packaged junk vs meat, veggies etc... . I'm not sure that it's more prevalent today than it used to be, but I take any statistic with a grain of salt as I do most anything that comes from the "media" types.

If kids are going hungry then I agree, something is wrong with the parents, and if our senior citizens are going hungry then shame on their children or families. And while yes, I realize that not everyone has family there are resources out there that can assist them. I agree with Dragunov, we as a country are blessed.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
I remember hunting before and after school, whatever I got, was what was in the pot. as far as meat went for a few years. veggies, Grew our own. they was always something hot on the table, but if you went hungry, it was because you turned your nose up at it, not because it wasn't there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I sell real estate in Michigan. Things got bad here earlier than most of the rest of the country and seemed to last longer. For several years starting around 2006 or 2007 over half the home sales were foreclosure listings or short sales- distressed sales. I sell in a fairly affluent suburban area. I can count on 1 hand how many of the foreclosed homes I showed had remnants of a garden. And in case you are in a state where houses get taken back quickly- until recently in MI the home owner had 6 months to redeem their house after the sheriff's sale. A year if you were on at least 3 acres. It usually takes a minimum of a few months before the 6 or 12 month clock starts ticking.

People have gotten too used to being taken care of. I raise a few head of beef/year. There is usually still meat in the freezer when I am bringing home the new beef. I called a couple of the organizations who hand out free food to the "needy" with about 50 pounds of ground beef and a few cheaper cuts of roast- wouldn't take them unless they came from the grocery store. Afraid of getting sued! (My beef is slaughtered and processed at a professional slaughter house). They wouldn't take extra veggies from my garden, or extra eggs- not pasteurized and not from a store!

Sorry to rant on someone else's thread- this topic just burns my butt. OH- and now that things are much better in this area- 40% of the kids in this relatively affluent area are still on the free lunch program (average home sale around $250K)

·
TEXAS!!!
7,267 Posts
Without a doubt there are many that go hungry from children to seniors and everything in between. I wonder how many people don't want to learn how to cook from scratch and make due with the basics in life vs going to a grocery store to buy pre made food that requires no effort. IMHO you get more bang for your buck by purchasing ingredients and making your food. Same goes for growing food (I've recently began learning this myself). We have gotten away from the basics in life and when I go to the grocery store I see more people buying packaged junk vs meat, veggies etc... . I'm not sure that it's more prevalent today than it used to be, but I take any statistic with a grain of salt as I do most anything that comes from the "media" types.

If kids are going hungry then I agree, something is wrong with the parents, and if our senior citizens are going hungry then shame on their children or families. And while yes, I realize that not everyone has family there are resources out there that can assist them. I agree with Dragunov, we as a country are blessed.
I grew up in So_OH/NE.KY.. about 50 miles SE. of Cincy. I survived an entire autumn, and Winter there, on just what I foraged, out of doors, in a wikiup.

Southern Ohio is the garden of Eden for food plants, and game.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,267 Posts
I sell real estate in Michigan. Things got bad here earlier than most of the rest of the country and seemed to last longer. For several years starting around 2006 or 2007 over half the home sales were foreclosure listings or short sales- distressed sales. I sell in a fairly affluent suburban area. I can count on 1 hand how many of the foreclosed homes I showed had remnants of a garden. And in case you are in a state where houses get taken back quickly- until recently in MI the home owner had 6 months to redeem their house after the sheriff's sale. A year if you were on at least 3 acres. It usually takes a minimum of a few months before the 6 or 12 month clock starts ticking.

People have gotten too used to being taken care of. I raise a few head of beef/year. There is usually still meat in the freezer when I am bringing home the new beef. I called a couple of the organizations who hand out free food to the "needy" with about 50 pounds of ground beef and a few cheaper cuts of roast- wouldn't take them unless they came from the grocery store. Afraid of getting sued! (My beef is slaughtered and processed at a professional slaughter house). They wouldn't take extra veggies from my garden, or extra eggs- not pasteurized and not from a store!

Sorry to rant on someone else's thread- this topic just burns my butt. OH- and now that things are much better in this area- 40% of the kids in this relatively affluent area are still on the free lunch program (average home sale around $250K)
I'm not opposed to free lunches in schools. You force me to send my kids there, you need to be responsible for feeding them. If you don't, I'll send them elsewhere.

That's probably as close to "liberal" as I get.

·
gagged
3,833 Posts
I moved away from my mom at 15. I got married at 15 my husband was 19, the first year we lived on cat fish from the creek and deer meat plus our garden, and about 5.00 a week for extras. I graduated at 16 and with two incomes we had a few bucks for store bought stuff. It never occured to me that we would go hungry or were "food insecure".

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
950 Posts
Growing up in a rural area as a kid, my dad raised 3 kids on 13,000 a year. We didnt get crazy junk food or drinks. It was one meat and can veggies and tons of rice for dinner. We did miss meals when the EBT was cut out. But he worked hard and walked almost 10 miles to work till we had money to buy a car. Rent where i live now is more then most make with 1 pay check. But its true schools have progarms for meals and EBT.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
There is no excuse for hunger in this country. I can find enough food in the wild, to feed a family of four adequately. I've done it. I did it for the first four months I lived in Texas. NO one went hungry... Not for a single day. At one point, I was feeding six off of wild foods, small game, and fish. We never missed a meal. This is WITHOUT being on any .gov assistance.

Children go hungry due to a failure of parental planning, and parental ignorance.

There is no excuse for it, and it makes me angry that parents are that ill equipped to feed their kids.

Very well said, lack of planning, and lack of knowledge are huge problems!

When I first separated I lived off the food I had in storage for nearly a year before I was able to start storing again. I didn't have an option as I couldn't pay the bills, file for divorce, and buy grocieries.

·
Registered
465 Posts

It's not just poor planning and ignorance. How many parents are selling their food stamps for drug money?

Then there's the other side of the issue...at present I have 3 freezers full of poultry, pork, beef and fish, maybe 6 loaves of high quality bread, a few heat-n- eat freezer meals, a large pantry full of staples, canned foods including canned meals, canned meats/poultry/fish, vegies, fruit, instant potatoes, a few boxed meals; in the fridge there is milk, butter, condiments, fresh produce, and due to some recent bulk cooking there are 4 types of meals ready to heat. Oh, and due to a BD party, we also have cake, ice cream and soda on hand at present.

My 18 yr old daughter (who got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning), threw a fit at noon because she wasn't interested in anything I had to offer for lunch. She actually said, "There isn't a single thing to eat in this house!"
So "food insecurity" would likely depend on who you asked. I would answer that I could eat for close to a year on what's on hand. Daughter would undoubtedly state she had to go without lunch and has no idea where her next meal is coming from. :D:

·
Registered
493 Posts
SW KS here. Only hungry kids I've seen are ones who's parents sold their food stamps to party or what not.

Pretty rare (compared to yrs ago anyway) these days to see a parent to push their pride to the limit trying on their own. My mom and I don't agree on many things, but the yrs she was a single parent rarely where we on assistance. Don't ever remember any 4 of us kids going hungry, but I sure remember her doing it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's not just poor planning and ignorance. How many parents are selling their food stamps for drug money?
Selling food stamps for drugs? Personally, I'd say that's the very definition of ignorance.

So "food insecurity" would likely depend on who you asked. I would answer that I could eat for close to a year on what's on hand. Daughter would undoubtedly state she had to go without lunch and has no idea where her next meal is coming from. :D:
Perfect example! That's why they use such a vague term as "food insecurity" in these reports. The number of kids who actually go hungry from a lack of food is miniscule. It's disgusting that it happens at all, but unless you take the kids away from the incompetent parents, nothing will change.

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
So... what I've gathered from the general tenor of this thread -- if anyone is starving in America it's their own damned fault and that's too damned bad!

Heck, while we're at it, why don't we just "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out."

·
Officer Friendly
1,158 Posts
I was frequently hungry when I first moved out on my own (16 years old)

I could barely pay my rent and frequently went days without a meal. I also was raised by the state and was pretty much a runaway. I didn't want any involvement with the government so I didn't know where to turn for help.

I don't doubt that there are hungry kids in our country but it's likely that their parents just don't care enough to feed them

1 - 20 of 68 Posts