Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a humanitarian daily ration. Its dropped off by the plane load over seas, and handed out after disasters here in the states. I came across these after hurricane Rita hit my area last year. These humanitarian daily rations (HDR) are designed to feed an improvished person for one whole day. They also contain NO meat by products. These HDRs can be dropped off in an area of any religion and still be eaten. If you see these at a gun show, I would pick up a couple, they will add nicely yo your MRE stock. The first couple of pics are an MRE and a MDR side by side so you can see the difference.

Notice that the food is wrapped in silver. I dont know why this is, maybe so soliders in the field can see the difference between an MRE and a HDR?

Notice the main meal looks just like a real MRE, out of the box you can not tell the difference. Look for a lot of fig bars and peanut butter and jelly in these meals.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
It does resemble an MRE.
Is there just one main entrée, in the pack?
Looks like about enough, for one meal and snack.

·
Concerned Citizen
536 Posts
There are two entrees per pack with HDRs because they're meant to sustain you for an entire day. They have 2200 calories and say something to the effect of enough food for one adult for one day (hence Daily Ration) as opposed to the MREs that are supposed to be one meal (although 2 MREs per day is more than enough).

·
Registered
364 Posts
I do not mean to hijack, but I have about 15 mre's from over 10 years ago. I think they are technically expired. I have them way back in my preps. Are they really expired or is it a cruel marketing technique to get me to buy more. I cannot see the crackers getting any more stale, or the cheese spread or peanut butter going bad. I could see the entree's turning bad though over time.

·
Concerned Citizen
536 Posts
Oh man, I'm a jerk for resurrecting this thread a second time. I'm just happening upon it in search results again and see that DarknessFalls never got a real response back in March. I very much hope that the info in my response justifies it. I've recently eaten MRE items as far back as 82 (the MRE premiered in 81) and I've never gotten sick as a result. I've eaten military rations a good deal older than that but we're talking MREs here.

Anyway, with MREs from the last 20 years I'd put their shelf life as indefinite if kept cool. If stored at room temp or above, say 70-80 degrees in an attic or warm garage, the shelf life chart on mreinfo.com is pretty accurate. If you're not sure, eat one as a test now and the rest can remain backup food if the one is ok - just assume at least one will have a bad entree when factoring how much food there is. The rest of the contents will almost certainly be fine so in worst case scenario where most or all of the entrees have gone bad you've still got 12,000 edible calories in almost any post-1990 case of MREs.

Before eating an MRE component older than the recommended shelf life, check for bulging (expanded/under-pressure) or leaking on the package. Any sign of either, toss it. When you open the package, take a whiff and see if it smells sharp or sour (unless it's something that's supposed to smell that way like sweet and sour pork chops). If it smells good I bet you it is good. If it smells off but looks good, eat a small amount (a bite) and wait 10 to 20 minutes. If you feel stomach pain or cramping drink a good deal of water, take an antacid and don't eat any more. If you feel fine, it's edible and the smell is probably nothing. Watch out for anything black - that would indicate it was too hot for too long.

Hope this info helps somebody. If not the original intended recipient then anyone else wondering how old an MRE really can be and still be considered fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts