Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you all mooooooooing today? :eek:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ma...&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/04/01/sciembryo101.xml - for the full article (below is just the opening of the article)

Hybrid embryos made by UK scientists
By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
Last Updated: 7:30pm BST 01/04/2008

The first hybrid embryos in Europe - a blend of human and cow DNA - have been created by scientists in Newcastle.

The hybrid embryos, which only developed for three days, were created by Dr Lyle Armstrong and colleagues at Newcastle University as part of basic research on cloning and not as part of any attempt to create a hybrid animal, which is not only illegal but thought highly unlikely for technical reasons. The Newcastle team emphasises this is "work in progress" and will be submitted for peer review.

The milestone, which is political rather than scientific, will trigger a furore, since the advance comes a month before MPs are to debate the future of such research, which has been condemned by the Catholic Church as "monstrous".

Anybody else think that this is not a good idea? This brings to mind the Jurassic Park movies and all that chaos stuff Jeff Goldbloom was muttering about.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok I have 1 question....Why?!?

What on earth could we benefit from mixing DNA of animals and humans?
I'm not Catholic but I have to agree with the Church that it just seems "Monstrous"

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I agree, it is monsterous.

I will gladly pass on any kind of benefit this could have to medical research. Its just not worth it.

Dr. Frankenstein anyone? These people are unconscionable and certifiable mad.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
I hope to see a beautiful horsewoman before my life is done, making that weird cartoon film I saw as a kid come true.
But really that is non-sense. I hope that better control of human and animal disease is established thanks to this breakthrough (which was the given reason).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a cheesy 50's B-movie "Attack of the Hu-Cows". I was thinking about starting a "Surviving a man-cow apocalypse" thread.

·
Banned
880 Posts
GOT MILK?

why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?

remember the chick in total recall with 3 breasts? now imagine 6! moo baby moo!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Ok I have 1 question....Why?!?
Because experimenting on the same DNA in a human egg would be illegal. They can get away with so much more cloning a human in a cow embryo in terms of what they can do to it.

It's just a clever (and evil) loophole. :mad:

SOLIDUS

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Reminds me of all the hippies and PETA crying about the mistreatment of animals by testing products on them and splicing DNA and stuff. Evidently a lot more people care about stuff like this.

·
28 Days Later
1,647 Posts
they were likely trying it so they could use Cows as Organ producers for human beings who need new organs, they've been trying the same thing with pigs. I'm probably in the minority here but i'm all for it, its stuff like this that will Cure Alzheimer's one day, or cancer, or Parkinson's disease. The power of science is scary, I wont deny that, but alot of our medical research from today came about from practices like this hundreds of years ago.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
hhhmmmm human beef steaks yuuummmm!

·
Banned
880 Posts
yeah to heck with god and all his "nature" and "morals" and "not being evil" we can create living creatures for our own spare parts. then we may live forever!

man-cows are a gateway monster, they lead to worse monsters.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
man-cows are a gateway monster, they lead to worse monsters.
ROFL! :D

These scientists may have done this for noble purposes, like trying to create a new human heart and other vital organs to help those in need.

However, it opens up for darker possiblities. Sure, people can kidnap children, adults and experiment on them, but that leaves many problems. A.) You've kidnapped someone! B.) Parents/families will come looking for them and C.) The law might not appreciate it.

Whereas, creating a human being in a lab might one day be accepted by the government. And so will cruel human testing. (Not saying it's going to happen for sure, but it might.)

They already have too much leeway with animals as it is, and if humans are being bought and sold as commodity because they weren't born like the rest of us... Well that presents a problem in my view. And the way we are heading, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. :(

SOLIDUS

**Edit**
Manbearpig is real! I'm cerial!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts