Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know much about this situation?

Apparently a natural gas field that is the biggest gas discovery in over a decade and one of the biggest gas deposits on earth was found within the last 3 years in Syria (or off the coast in the mediteranean )

16 Trillion Cubic feet of Natural Gas (maybe more it isn't fully drilled yet)

1.5 Billion barrels of oil (maybe more)

Just this May, Noble and Delek announced that they had hit gas in another well, their seventh straight discovery, and upped their estimated holdings to 38 tcf. (38 TRILLION CUBIC FEET - value** Studies indicate, however, that this could be only a third of the potential offshore gas deposits in the region.

$480 BILLION DOLLARS WORTH OF GAS... (by my calculations at $4 per thousand cubic feet current nat gas prices)

http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/06/28/is-the-us-playing-with-gas-in-syria/

Also, apparently in order for this gas to be piped to the huge profitable markets in Europe and Asia, it must first be piped through Syria, in order to "connect with major pipelines in Turkey as well as tanker ports"

It seems a MIGHTY BIG COINCIDENCE that this tremendously profitable discovery just so happens to exist in a place where the biggest power players in the world are all suddenly willing to engage in potentially apocalyptic warfare to control...

I will continue to research this as my time allows, I will also update the OP if important information comes to me thru this thread or elsewhere to try and provide a concise synopsis of this rather interesting situation which seems to be flying WAY under the radar..... I understand that the mainstream media wouldn't be talking about something like this, but I am surprised that I haven't heard a bunch about this on alternative media sites.

Since this field is in the Mediterranean Sea, there have already been disputes between Israel, Lebanon and Syria over which country can lay claim to the land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_gas_field

Also very interesting is that the Syrian Civil War started AFTER this major discovery had been made..... the gas field was found in 2010, by March 2011 the early stages of the Syria civil conflict where beginning to play out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_civil_war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring

I am not an expert on Syria, Syrian history or Syrian politics, I just find it to be an amazing coincidence that there is little reported evidence of civil unrest until right after this gas field, with MAJOR financial implications, was discovered. Can someone tell me if there is a piece to this puzzle that I am missing? Assad's family has held the presidency since 1971 and yet all of the sudden, less than a year after this discovery (maybe even months from when they found out exactly how much gas/$$$) at that point all hell breaks loose and the USA is hellbent to do whatever it takes to support the rebel forces that are trying to overthrow the government which seems to control or at least play a key part in this gas field, pipeline and the endless piles of money that go along with all of this.

The media so far as I can tell has given little back story on this and I (in limited searching) have not come across anything that indicated that this situation existed or was anywhere near the explosive state it is currently in before the discovery of these gas fields.

Again I do not claim to be an expert, but I do find all of this awfully suspicious.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not exactly surprising! Subscribed for more snippets of this "superpowers invade little guys to exploit resources" revelation! :p

·
Banned
856 Posts
Nope. I'm a Petroleum Geologist. The Industry has known about the Leviathan field for quite some time now. For MUCH longer than this Syrian thing has been relevant. I knew about this in 2009. This area has been talked about at dinner and business events for about 6 years now. It always starts as a whisper and then just grows into louder conversation amongst industry professionals. It only became "big news" to the public in 2010. Just remember that many people (corporations and nations) consider these 'discoveries' very confidential in nature.....and are loathe to release specific information until the last possible moment.

Even so, the field is relatively new (compared to the 'older' sea bed plays such as the GoM and the North Sea) and, as such, much more research into the subsurface structural environment is still being conducted.........even as parts are starting to be drilled.

Geopolitically, might makes right. Israel is in the best position to take advantage of this. And they should. A giant fossil fuel bed this close to their ports takes a huge burden off of them regarding strategic energy sovereignty.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. I'm a Petroleum Geologist. The Industry has known about the Leviathan field for quite some time now. For MUCH longer than this Syrian thing has been relevant. I knew about this in 2009. This area has been talked about at dinner and business events for about 6 years now. It always starts as a whisper and then just grows into louder conversation amongst industry professionals. It only became "big news" to the public in 2010. Just remember that many people (corporations and nations) consider these 'discoveries' very confidential in nature.....and are loathe to release specific information until the last possible moment.

Even so, the field is relatively new (compared to the 'older' sea bed plays such as the GoM and the North Sea) and, as such, much more research into the subsurface structural environment is still being conducted.........even as parts are starting to be drilled.

Geopolitically, might makes right. Israel is in the best position to take advantage of this. And they should. A giant fossil fuel bed this close to their ports takes a huge burden off of them regarding strategic energy sovereignty.
I'm not quite sure what this disproves, please elaborate. What specifically are you referring to when you say "nope"?

Noble Energy operates Leviathan with a 39.66% working interest (US BASED COMPANY OUT OF TEXAS); Delek Drilling (ISRAELI OWNED) holds 22.67%; Avner Oil Exploration holds 22.67% (also ISRAELI OWNED); and Ratio Oil Exploration holds the remaining 15%

So US and Israeli (allies, and newest BFFs) companies own this project and they have access to a huge pile of natural gas (and oil as well if I understand correctly) and to most effectively sell this product they need to transport it through a pipeline that is either in Syria or under Syria control, or use the Suez canal to ship it. Assad did not go along with a proposal that would have had that gas going through a Qatar-Saudi Arabia-Iraq-Syria-Turkey gas pipeline, and then after he didn't agree to the deal that other countries wanted, he became public enemy #1 and Obama has since been hell bent on removing him from office.

http://english.geopolitics.ro/leviathan-under-the-shadow-of-the-conflict-in-syria/

This is the exact type of thing that would actually be going on while the media spins a BS story about how we should feel compassion for poor mistreated people in a country on the other side of the planet. When BBC reported on chemical weapons earlier this year, their findings indicated that the rebels (who we are siding with and have publicly been arming throughout all of this) had chemical weapons, there are videos on the internet of the rebels with canisters and a crude delivery system consistent with the findings of the investigation (not consistent with a well funded government or military operation), there are articles in middle eastern media in which investigations have yielded evidence of chemical weapons in the hands of the rebels including pictures and video of a small chemical lab and stash which is reported by that media outlet (not our MSM) to be rebel controlled. At the VERY LEAST a formal full scale investigation should take place, yet all based on finger pointing and still without ANY evidence being shown to the public acts of war are being planned. (remind anyone of Iraq?)

The deposit, discovered in 2010 in the Mediterranean Sea by America’s Noble Energy, is in fact the stake of Syria’s “democratization.” The drilling of natural gas has given birth to a new conflict in the region: Israel, Syria and the Gaza Strip as well claiming drilling rights.

Turkey presented Syrian President Bashar al-Assad the project of a Qatar-Saudi Arabia-Iraq-Syria-Turkey gas pipeline, from where the natural gas could have been exported to Europe too, at the expense of the Russian Federation, however the Syrian President (Assad) refused, implementing Iran’s natural gas pipeline project instead.

The construction of the natural gas pipeline started immediately and the destabilizing forces from the outside were set in motion. When the so-called revolt started in Daraa, Bashar ordered the authorities to talk to the people, to solve it peacefully.

Spurred on by the US, Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia started to directly support the Muslim Brotherhood as a destabilizing element for “traitorous” regimes that negotiated the Leviathan’s potential with Iran, Russia, China and India. Turkish warships are engaged in all kinds of conflicts with American, Israeli and Cypriot prospecting vessels in the Mediterranean Sea.

Turkey imports 60 per cent of its natural gas needs from Russia and cannot allow its “historical enemy” to manage the Leviathan too. It is hoped that the advantaged will be reversed once the Muslim Brotherhood comes to power. There are no permanent friendships, only permanent interests. And in the case of the Leviathan none of the sides will give in without a fight. The rest are just empty words.

The Leviathan, not concern for the Arab people, has brought all the warships to the Mediterranean!

Recoverable gas in the Levant Basin, which lies largely in Israeli and Cypriot waters in the eastern Mediterranean, hold some 3.5 trillion cubic metres of gas, the U.S. Geological Survey has estimated.

That would meet all of Europe's gas demand for seven years and could mean exports of as much as 2 trillion cubic metres from Cyprus and Israel worth some $800 billion at current European gas prices.

Unresolved territorial disputes in the eastern Mediterranean regions, including Cyprus and Turkey as well as Israel and Lebanon, mean that it may be difficult to agree on a pipeline route to Turkey.

Analysts say the Israeli government wants an export terminal for liquefied natural gas (LNG) to be built in Israel, although most point out that a shared LNG facility in Cyprus may be commercially more attractive.

An export route to Turkey and into Europe could also cut into Russian sales of gas in the region.

http://rt.com/news/rebel-tunnel-damascus-chemical-940/

·
Banned
856 Posts
I was saying "nope" regarding the original inference that the Syrian civil war, and our involvement have anything to do with the Leviathan field. At most, it's a secondary concern. Israel will take care of it's own interests as they have done for decades. Also to the 'fact' that it was discovered in 2010. To which I will just point out that I was correlating gamma ray logs from the leviathan basin in 2009 (and I wasn't the first to begin doing this). Just remember that when something is "officially" discovered and when it is 'actually' discovered are two different things. Public knowledge and private knowledge are two black and white concepts in the Oil and Gas Industry.

As far as a pipeline.........Israel is more concerned (at a fundamental level) about its own usage of the field for its own energy needs, rather than how easy it is to sell. Being surrounded by your enemies tends to do that.

These are summarized points taken from my experiences in that area of the world that I have experienced as a geological professional, and in my younger days as a military member. To get into the nitty-gritty and address every nuance of this would eat up gigabytes of bandwidth. As nearly everything in the middle east and energy related seems to do.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Nope....
That is what I've read elsewhere, that Israel is in the best position to claim and exploit the reserve. Their neighbors only come into play with pipelines and shipping. The Israelis have repeatedly proven themselves capable of defending their territory from their antagonistic neighbors, so I doubt there will be any real challenge unless significant outside powers contest Israel, by proxy the US.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Hey wait a minute...I thought only Bush went to war for oil. Is Obama a closet supporter of Haliburton? Bet you don't hear a peep from the anti war protesters of democrats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ORRRRRRRRRRRR.....

Syria has a border with Iraq and a coastline on the Med. If you want to extract the hydrocarbon resources from Iraq (estimated to last into 2030s) without using the Persian gulf, Indian Ocean or Suez Canal, a road, rail or pipeline link through Syria is a pretty healthy way to get the resources onto the European and American market.

It's not vital currently, but if Iran has nuclear capabilities it'll pretty soon be capable of making demands about its local waterway (Persian Gulf.) Also given the situation in Egypt, the Suez canal isn't the happiest option either.

Also, by destabilising Syria, it becomes less able to move into a position to extract any resources in the med.

It's all strategic, but knowing exactly what the strategy is requires a lot more intel than you or I can gather via google or news outlets.

the old Chinese curse/addage comes to mind:

"May you live in interesting times"

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I think Syria has been on the board since the Iran Contra scandal. The entire area is a Chess board. Iran is, and has always been the primary target. ALL other military actions have been to take position around Iran.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Syria has been on the board since the Iran Contra scandal. The entire area is a Chess board. Iran is, and has always been the primary target. ALL other military actions have been to take position around Iran.
and Syria and Iran have a defense pact, so getting into a fight with Syria will trigger that elusive fight with Iran.

·
Generator Wrangler
3,834 Posts
BS on the OP's premise.

1) The US has a huge amount of proven nat gas reserves much of it all ready developed and just sitting there because ...

2) .....the market for nat gas is in the dumps. Can't give it away.

The Middle East is a hotbed of political/religious chaos. One doesn't did to "discover" a nefarious reason why other nations of the world are being drawn in.

·
Generator Wrangler
3,834 Posts
Still looking for all that oil we stole from Iraq... lol.
You mean the oil that dropped the price of gasoline to pre-Dubya levels? ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BS on the OP's premise.

1) The US has a huge amount of proven nat gas reserves much of it all ready developed and just sitting there because ...

2) .....the market for nat gas is in the dumps. Can't give it away.

The Middle East is a hotbed of political/religious chaos. One doesn't did to "discover" a nefarious reason why other nations of the world are being drawn in.
It doesn't matter what we have, the US needs to control EVERY SINGLE DROP of oil and gas to keep the PETRODOLLAR SYSTEM in place so that our economy and world power status doesn't come crashing down.

PETRODOLLAR.... say it with me PET- RO DOL- LAR

Iraq tried to pull out of the petro dollar system and do deals with european countries without using the dollar as the currency..... remember what happened to them when they tried to do that? DO you still think that war was about the WMDs that they never found?

http://ftmdaily.com/preparing-for-the-collapse-of-the-petrodollar-system-part-3/

·
Banned
856 Posts
You mean the oil that dropped the price of gasoline to pre-Dubya levels? ;)
And by pre-Dubya, you must mean the prices BEFORE we invaded Iraq? You know, the event that caused speculators to drive up the oil prices in the first place? Naturally, ANY event in the mid-east causes the oil speculators to freak out (like the hive-minded little panic-monkeys that they are) and drive prices up.

Hurricane in the Gulf? Prices go up.
Iran makes another threat? Prices go up.
Israeli troops shoot another stupid rock-throwing Palestinian? Prices go up.
Putin does some more Putin stuff? Prices go up.
King Abdullah farts? Prices go up.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Every war is about money and control of resources , all this concern of humanitarian issues is pure balderdash

We know The Project for the New American Century has had Syria on the chopping block since at least 97

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
It doesn't matter what we have, the US needs to control EVERY SINGLE DROP of oil and gas to keep the PETRODOLLAR SYSTEM in place so that our economy and world power status doesn't come crashing down.

PETRODOLLAR.... say it with me PET- RO DOL- LAR

Iraq tried to pull out of the petro dollar system and do deals with european countries without using the dollar as the currency..... remember what happened to them when they tried to do that? DO you still think that war was about the WMDs that they never found?

http://ftmdaily.com/preparing-for-the-collapse-of-the-petrodollar-system-part-3/
and Libya and Iran , trying to sell your oil for gold is a sure fire way to feel the wrath of the u.s. military

·
Generator Wrangler
3,834 Posts
I believe it's about pertol bux but only in a general way. That part of the world is a gateway for the lifeblood of the world. It's important that it remains stable enough to keep the oil flowing. Important enough that all the countries in the world, especially the Super Powers, have a stake on the outcome and a motivation to remain involved. I'm not so naive that I don't allow for some behind the scenes maneuvering, but I think there is far more conspiratorial hypothesizing then needed to explain the current events of the Middle East. A lot of those theories have proven wrong. Iraq supposedly was about ensuring oil for the US remain cheap. And when did that happen? Afghanistan was supposedly about a pipeline or some sort of newly discovered mining areas (take your pick, both were put forward). What became of that?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts