Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
it would probably be good for small perch or crappie or even small trout....nice find and the price is reasonable

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
hell for the price it wont hurt to try it out if it works i would just get moree weights and hooks i probaly will get 1

·
V
21,713 Posts
Ive read on other boards of people using a similar product (might even be the same one)

If your looking at this serioulsy, for the price consider getting one to try out then come back and post a review. Ive heard tell of people buying them some have even suggested they've used them but Ive yet to come across a solid review. Not being a fisherman myself.......... I have no clue :taped:

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
by the looks and how cheap it is i dought it will last very long before it falls apart. if you go to auctions you can get rods/reels of better quality for around the same price. ive bought brand new rod & reel for $7. but who know it hold up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
by the looks and how cheap it is i dought it will last very long before it falls apart. if you go to auctions you can get rods/reels of better quality for around the same price. ive bought brand new rod & reel for $7. but who know it hold up.
Its not about the cost, its about the size. You are not gonna have a full sized fishing pole and reel in your smaller survival bags...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think u would be better off buying a pocket fisherman
The pocket fisherman is WAY bigger and heavier... I would rather have my breakdown full sized pole which is probably the same size and length! But if I were going to put toghether a bare essentials survival kit for the truck or whatever a pen style kit like this seems the way to go!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Very compact, very reasonably priced, if it will hold up to use I think its got some merit.

As for the Pocket fisherman, I agree its way heavier and bulkier. I think the Sponge Bob rod and reel I found at the river would serve better. As cheesey as it looks I have netted a lot of 1-5 lbs channel cats with it and more saucer sized bream than I can shake a stick at. I use it and a sabiki rig mainly, to catch small 3-5 inch bream for catfish bait when I am out Yakking and on the hunt for some 20 plus pound catfish. Its small, handy and gets the job done fine...I just look awful stupid using it!

·
Registered
345 Posts
To my mind, there is such a thing as too cheap. However, I think Smudge is right... you shoud get one, check it out and report back... by 15 Nov. (we will be waiting) :thumb:

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Very compact, very reasonably priced, if it will hold up to use I think its got some merit.

As for the Pocket fisherman, I agree its way heavier and bulkier. I think the Sponge Bob rod and reel I found at the river would serve better. As cheesey as it looks I have netted a lot of 1-5 lbs channel cats with it and more saucer sized bream than I can shake a stick at. I use it and a sabiki rig mainly, to catch small 3-5 inch bream for catfish bait when I am out Yakking and on the hunt for some 20 plus pound catfish. Its small, handy and gets the job done fine...I just look awful stupid using it!
I second that. I've used a "Loony Tunes Tasmanian Devil" kid's fishing pole with great success for perch, large mouth bass and pickerel. About $7 at your box store.

Small, light, cheap. It works great. Change the line, though.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
why couldnt you put a better reel on the looney toon or sponge bob poles for durablity. if you kept the string light enough pounds it shouldnt hurt the pole. you would have a fishing rig that should last a while.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I've toyed with several compact fishing kits. I know the cheap version is the soda can for a hand-caster, but there's also a commercial one that is a little better at holding the fishing line and it has a flat profile which is better at packing. Another great compact pole is designed by EMMROD; they're a little expensive, but I've found them very functional at long distance casting and great for smaller streams with a lot of overhead foliage. Of course, you can always just pack a few safety pins or snare wire and make your own rod and if you really want to do some fishing just buy a quality compact reel and attach it to a sapling with zip-ties and imporvised eyelets from snare wire or safety pins.

Here's a simple kit I put together for my smaller BoB and when out backpacking (fits a small container slightly larger than a film cannister):

Here's a small perch my son caught with his mini-fishing kit; he was 8 years old at the time, so with some practice it is more than feasible:

ROCK6

·
Registered
688 Posts
That emmrod looks like a great little unit. They've got a few models.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
why couldnt you put a better reel on the looney toon or sponge bob poles for durablity. if you kept the string light enough pounds it shouldnt hurt the pole. you would have a fishing rig that should last a while.
I gotta check it, but I think the rod and reel are one piece.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've toyed with several compact fishing kits. I know the cheap version is the soda can for a hand-caster, but there's also a commercial one that is a little better at holding the fishing line and it has a flat profile which is better at packing. Another great compact pole is designed by EMMROD; they're a little expensive, but I've found them very functional at long distance casting and great for smaller streams with a lot of overhead foliage. Of course, you can always just pack a few safety pins or snare wire and make your own rod and if you really want to do some fishing just buy a quality compact reel and attach it to a sapling with zip-ties and imporvised eyelets from snare wire or safety pins.

Here's a simple kit I put together for my smaller BoB and when out backpacking (fits a small container slightly larger than a film cannister):

Here's a small perch my son caught with his mini-fishing kit; he was 8 years old at the time, so with some practice it is more than feasible:

ROCK6
Thank you for this post about EMMROD. I never heard of this system and I intend to get one. I have fished all my life and this would be my choice for my BOB.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptkeeper

I gotta check it, but I think the rod and reel are one piece.
Unfortunately they are so thats not an option or it would have been a done deal. There is a Youtube video of a guy on the gulf coast catching a Bull Red with one, that made me give this cheesy set up a little more credit than I would otherwise.

I haven't seen anything about telescopic cane poles on any of these threads. Theyre light, CHEAP, and while they might be a lil on the long side (3.5 ft) I have taken a many crappie with one.
Here's a link for one that's pretty cheap
Yeah not a bad idea. I used these things in Japan although they had a reel seat on them instead of a cleat to attatch and store extra line. These could easily be lashed to a backpack frame for easy carry, then whipped out when a fishing oppertunity presents itself. They would beat the heck out of using a stick and line for dangling a jig or dropping a baited hook in the water.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts