Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Doing a little at a time
Discussion Starter #1
Probably going to be a lurker for the most part, but figured I'd introduce myself anyway. :)

Relatively new at many things. But, my mother taught me the survival mindset from my earliest years, and in some ways, that seems to be half the battle.

I was born & raised in rural Texas, tornado valley. My mother & stepfather were volunteer first responders, stepfather also a volunteer firefighter.
Mom taught me to always have a "Go Bag" at the ready, because there are times when you leave home where you don't know if you'll ever return, or whether your home will still be there when you get back.
Our bags were put into action each spring; taking our things and going to a neighbor's storm shelter at a moment's notice was a regular part of tornado season.
We always had plans of action. What to do when there is a fire, planning escape routes for how to get out of home/school/etc. Always thinking ahead, always being aware of what's happening around you, always revisiting your plans and reaffirming what is most important to you.

I'm in my late 20s; have been living in Philadelphia for nearly a decade now. Long story. Very different from where I grew up.
Circumstances led me to a place in my life where I no longer had a Go Bag, no plan for when things get hairy, nothing to fall back on. The same can be said for my peers - friends, coworkers, most people I meet in this city. It doesn't seem to bother anybody. But it leaves me feeling very ungrounded, especially with how increasingly unstable things get with each passing day. I've been playing catch-up, a little at a time, trying to steel myself, prioritize, and prepare myself for whatever may come.

I've gotten a lot done the last year or so. I've got a solid Go Bag going, getting better all the time.
Trying to read & learn as much as I can; there is a wealth of knowledge out there! Taking advantage of the Internet while it's available; I can remember times where it did not exist in my life (apparently uncommon for people my age) and don't take it for granted.

I hope to move back to a rural home someday in the future. Start a homestead. But that's more of a long-term dream. It's beyond my ability for now. But the hope & goal keeps me going. Something to look forward to.

For now, the city is home, for better or worse. Doing what I can to understand this place, and know how to survive anything it throws my way (or simply when to walk on out while I have the chance).

Looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks in advance for what you've shared here. 馃挅

Registered
Where about in Philadelphia?

I work in Philly, live up in Bucks county.

In a SHTF situation Philly is going to turn into a ****hole, and quick. Once power goes out and the water stops being pumped into homes the violence is going to escalate. It's going to get really nasty. Have a solid plan. 馃憣

Registered
I'm in West Philly, a short walk from Delaware County. 馃憢
One thing I will tell you: it's a lot easier to get a ccw license in the counties (just doing out paperwork, background check) then it is in Philadelphia (wait times, interview, etc.). I imagine your not far from Baltimore ave., out that way. Row homes are large, but there is a lot of crime. Keep your head on a swivel. 馃憤

Dirt Dweller
鈥淥ne thing I will tell you: it's a lot easier to get a ccw license in the counties (just doing out paperwork, background check) then it is in Philadelphia (wait times, interview, etc.).鈥

Last I saw PA and Florida have reciprocity with each other. FL does not require that you are a resident. Check out Department of agriculture, Florida. You can do it all by mail including your FBI background check. Its very quick.

Registered
Probably going to be a lurker for the most part, but figured I'd introduce myself anyway. :)

Relatively new at many things. But, my mother taught me the survival mindset from my earliest years, and in some ways, that seems to be half the battle.

I was born & raised in rural Texas, tornado valley. My mother & stepfather were volunteer first responders, stepfather also a volunteer firefighter.
Mom taught me to always have a "Go Bag" at the ready, because there are times when you leave home where you don't know if you'll ever return, or whether your home will still be there when you get back.
Our bags were put into action each spring; taking our things and going to a neighbor's storm shelter at a moment's notice was a regular part of tornado season.
We always had plans of action. What to do when there is a fire, planning escape routes for how to get out of home/school/etc. Always thinking ahead, always being aware of what's happening around you, always revisiting your plans and reaffirming what is most important to you.

I'm in my late 20s; have been living in Philadelphia for nearly a decade now. Long story. Very different from where I grew up.
Circumstances led me to a place in my life where I no longer had a Go Bag, no plan for when things get hairy, nothing to fall back on. The same can be said for my peers - friends, coworkers, most people I meet in this city. It doesn't seem to bother anybody. But it leaves me feeling very ungrounded, especially with how increasingly unstable things get with each passing day. I've been playing catch-up, a little at a time, trying to steel myself, prioritize, and prepare myself for whatever may come.

I've gotten a lot done the last year or so. I've got a solid Go Bag going, getting better all the time.
Trying to read & learn as much as I can; there is a wealth of knowledge out there! Taking advantage of the Internet while it's available; I can remember times where it did not exist in my life (apparently uncommon for people my age) and don't take it for granted.

I hope to move back to a rural home someday in the future. Start a homestead. But that's more of a long-term dream. It's beyond my ability for now. But the hope & goal keeps me going. Something to look forward to.

For now, the city is home, for better or worse. Doing what I can to understand this place, and know how to survive anything it throws my way (or simply when to walk on out while I have the chance).

Looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks in advance for what you've shared here. 馃挅
Hello! New member here too. I'm in PA. I've spent a good amount of time in Philly. I hear you on all your friends having no plan for SHTF. I'd say not only 95% of my friends/family do not, they would consider such to be paranoid or fringe.

I have a go-bag packed up but needs to be re-assessed.

Premium Member

Hi. Too bad you left texas. We need more good people here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts