Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
What hell, pay attention
8,273 Posts
I load up when ever I can, and things never seem to stay "plentiful". :)

Historically, for me anyway, when the panic gets to full bloom, the internet hasnt been the place to go, for powder and primers.

Bullets arent doing real good this time either. At least in the past, they would still let you order "out of stock" stuff, and ship it when it came back in and you rotated through the queue. They dont seem to be doing it this time around.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts

·
reluctant sinner
17,912 Posts
Maybe the great toilet paper shortage of 2020 will teach people about having some stock on hand.

Buy when stuff is on sale or in stock not during the shortage or pay extra/do without.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,273 Posts
Naaa. The bulk of the same people who got burned in any of the last shortages got burned in this one too. Just human nature I guess.

Just wait until hunting season gets close. Those one box a year is plenty boys are going to be freaking out! Again. :thumb:

I think most of the people who are always at it, rarely have any issues, even if things do run out. I try my best to keep what I have loaded, and on the plus side in components there too. If the flow were to get cut off, I could shoot like I always do each week for over a year, just with whats loaded. And could easily double or triple that if I slow down a bit.

This time around, it was a bit of a double, maybe triple whammy, and people who normally wouldnt buy anything, piled on.

Cant wait until things die back down again and the "deals" start to come back.

Just fattening up the "like new, used gun" money envelope in the safe. :D:

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
611 Posts
I am asking myself," how am I doing without any new primers"? (Shocking news)

Good thing that I ordered and bought pre primed 7.62 x 51 Thinking I have 800 to 1000 of those left. Bought 500 pre primed .45 ACP.

I am stocked for small pistol , very few large pistol, about 1400 large magnum pistol, 500 large rifle.
1500 small rifle. Not as much as I wanted to stock up on... Now look at me.

Although the back of the garage is packed with boxes of assorted bullets . I won't be going into the ammo making Biz. But I have 17 GI ammo boxes full ...at my disposal.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I load up when ever I can, and things never seem to stay "plentiful". :)

Historically, for me anyway, when the panic gets to full bloom, the internet hasnt been the place to go, for powder and primers.

Bullets arent doing real good this time either. At least in the past, they would still let you order "out of stock" stuff, and ship it when it came back in and you rotated through the queue. They dont seem to be doing it this time around.
Like that with most things gun related. Been looking for a .308...no back order and no notification.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Yet another non-issue.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Hard to find primer so I buy when they appear. I have enough components to reload in the next month or so, and I usually don't start until I can reload 20k or more.

·
Just trying to learn
176 Posts
There is a reloading company about an hour south of me. I was buying SPP from them for $28 per thousand. They were still selling them in March so I added to my supply. Now they're out of stock and many are SOL.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Since 1994....I have seen this movie a few times!

I got several bricks of primers, of each type except Mag Pistol and rifle and I have a good bit of that too. Id be setting great on powder if I hadnt have bought a 44 Mag (got another 1911 while I was at it since the price for both were too good to pass up)and wanted something that could load moderate power loads (wanted to push 180gr HP's at about 950-1000 fps). No shortage of bullets or cases. Plenty of loaded ammo on hand. Is it as much as I would like? Never is! Since the Sandy Hook ammo shortage I am not sure any amount is enough until you need a warehouse. Not sure I will ever have that much but I intend to get a "A" for effort though.

While I wait for this to pass, I will sit here like I did before and wait for things to come back in stock and then start buying a few "goodies" every payday to stash away for a rainy day like I was doing before this Covid 19 crap happened. Doing so has allowed me to build up a considerable stash of supplies the last 6 years!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Placed an order when 1000 packs of primers began getting scarce. 8lbs of lil gun, 8 lbs of varget, 8 lbs of blue dot, 10k each of spp, lpp, spp mag, lpp mag, srp, lrp, srp mag, lrp mag and shotgun primers. That was on top of the 25-30k of other primers. Somewhere around 110-120k primers. I think I’m set for now but still keep my eyes open.

·
More than .0001%
1,434 Posts
I’m slightly under 15k, but that is a mix for sizes. I still have some when I payed $55 for a case of 5000 at the Great Western Gun Show at LA Fairgrounds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts