Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those who took a loan against their 401k's cashed out the ira or what have you. if you left it in how would you have done? just glancing at mine i am up 8% from before this same time last week. and up 10% from 2 weeks ago. over all for the year i am up 12%. not saying it is going to continue up in the short term. but over all i am up. all my "losses" are now a huge gain. why you may ask? because i bought low low low and all those losses are back to gains. my example of dodge and cox. low was 92.29. my 401k bought at 94. it is now worth 100.53

that was just but one mutual. so when i moved my 3 grand from my company match company shares over to dodge and cox i bout 32 more shares at 94 and that netted me 191 bucks or there abouts. doesnt seem like much but its 32 more shares then i had before. or 2 more shares then i would have had if i bought today.

so the question is how well would you have done. how well did you do?

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
First off, congrats on your investment savvy!

For me, depends on how you look at it, I cashed one of my IRA's out a year ago and re-invested some of it by purchasing my BOL, a 900 sq ft 2 bdrm home with a 700sq ft pole barn on a couple acres. I also purchased more than a year of long term food, solar and wind power systems, a good used truck, various hand tools , ammo and weapons. The remainder (about $30k went into physical gold and silver).
Both the silver and gold have done well, and the BOL is in trust and cannot be lost, save a tax foreclosure but the gold and silver could cover taxes for many years to come.

My remaining IRA has done about 7% and 401k has lost about .3%, so while I have not done as well as you on the paper side of things, when paper is worth nothing I still have a place to live for years to come and plenty of food.

Personally I would not trade the first IRA re-investments for 20% higher return on paper...

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, congrats on your investment savvy!

For me, depends on how you look at it, I cashed one of my IRA's out a year ago and re-invested some of it by purchasing my BOL, a 900 sq ft 2 bdrm home with a 700sq ft pole barn on a couple acres. I also purchased more than a year of long term food, solar and wind power systems, a good used truck, various hand tools , ammo and weapons. The remainder (about $30k went into physical gold and silver).
Both the silver and gold have done well, and the BOL is in trust and cannot be lost, save a tax foreclosure but the gold and silver could cover taxes for many years to come.

My remaining IRA has done about 7% and 401k has lost about .3%, so while I have not done as well as you on the paper side of things, when paper is worth nothing I still have a place to live for years to come and plenty of food.

Personally I would not trade the first IRA re-investments for 20% higher return on paper...
how close are you to retirement? meaning if you walked away from it all could you be happy with your standard of living with what you have saved?

I am 40. i know i have 25 to 30 years left to work. its a fact of life today and well to be honest id get bored really quick. i couldnt walk away from my savings and retirement and be happy with my standard of living. I have a nice chunk of hunting land. i have a good bit of prep. i could if i had to but i dont have to so why? still need to build that rammed earth home. no utilities even close to this place and not a hermit. anyway. my point was for those who freaked out sometimes its best to just wait a bit longer.

·
Banned
930 Posts
for those who took a loan against their 401k's cashed out the ira or what have you. if you left it in how would you have done? just glancing at mine i am up 8% from before this same time last week. and up 10% from 2 weeks ago. over all for the year i am up 12%. not saying it is going to continue up in the short term. but over all i am up. all my "losses" are now a huge gain. why you may ask? because i bought low low low and all those losses are back to gains. my example of dodge and cox. low was 92.29. my 401k bought at 94. it is now worth 100.53

that was just but one mutual. so when i moved my 3 grand from my company match company shares over to dodge and cox i bout 32 more shares at 94 and that netted me 191 bucks or there abouts. doesnt seem like much but its 32 more shares then i had before. or 2 more shares then i would have had if i bought today.

so the question is how well would you have done. how well did you do?
very good job..

i dont invest in paper no more, but my invest ment for the month did very well. i spent 2500 dollars to secure a dj, 150 for advertising, and gave 1000 to the club for renting out there place for the night.

total spent 3650ish

ticket price 15 dollars per head

people = 682 heads

some people were buddy's(i.e. let me get in dude) plus i spent some door money on drinks for the night, lets just call it 9k in pocket by end of night.

so did my investment do better then yours did this last couple of weeks?

Why does everyone think investments have to be in stocks and bonds only? Does anyone realize the ROI we make during concerts/raves/clubnights? I made 20k on door fee in one night before, others have made upwards of 100k IN ONE NIGHT.

keep investing for those 3-8% gains, i will keep looking for ways to keep my hands on my money AND earn 50% gains in a night/weeks time.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i have to ask. this was for those who removed money from the market last week. i take it you didnt right? so why are you commenting on this thread? and as for your business venture. uh huh sure.

very good job..

i dont invest in paper no more, but my invest ment for the month did very well. i spent 2500 dollars to secure a dj, 150 for advertising, and gave 1000 to the club for renting out there place for the night.

total spent 3650ish

ticket price 15 dollars per head

people = 682 heads

some people were buddy's(i.e. let me get in dude) plus i spent some door money on drinks for the night, lets just call it 9k in pocket by end of night.

so did my investment do better then yours did this last couple of weeks?

Why does everyone think investments have to be in stocks and bonds only? Does anyone realize the ROI we make during concerts/raves/clubnights? I made 20k on door fee in one night before, others have made upwards of 100k IN ONE NIGHT.

keep investing for those 3-8% gains, i will keep looking for ways to keep my hands on my money AND earn 50% gains in a night/weeks time.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
how close are you to retirement? meaning if you walked away from it all could you be happy with your standard of living with what you have saved?

I am 40. i know i have 25 to 30 years left to work. its a fact of life today and well to be honest id get bored really quick. i couldnt walk away from my savings and retirement and be happy with my standard of living. I have a nice chunk of hunting land. i have a good bit of prep. i could if i had to but i dont have to so why? still need to build that rammed earth home. no utilities even close to this place and not a hermit. anyway. my point was for those who freaked out sometimes its best to just wait a bit longer.
I'm 51 and semi-retired, I work part time these days but if I never worked again I would be able to live a lifestyle I am comfortable with for the rest of my days. I keep working to continue putting back money to help my children and grandchildren in the future as I think life will be far more difficult for them going forward than it was for me to get to where I am today.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm 51 and semi-retired, I work part time these days but if I never worked again I would be able to live a lifestyle I am comfortable with for the rest of my days. I keep working to continue putting back money to help my children and grandchildren in the future as I think life will be far more difficult for them going forward than it was for me to get to where I am today.
good deal. that is what allot of people fail to take into consideration. are they willing to drop out of everything and be ok with what they have right now. im 11 years younger which in the whole of things means little. im just not ok with the amount i would walk away with. 11 years maybe. ;-)

·
What would Mal do
4,913 Posts
ok...I understand the OP, but I also agree with the hijack point.

some of us pulled out of the market long before the last crash and the last crash before that and even taking the IRS ding, the ROI has far exceeded what the stock market has produced.

so for a market conversation...yep...good job at profiting on the roller coaster.

and for those who may not be as investment savvy there are other options out there.
in fact I saw a thread this morning that asked about sudden unemployment. Which I too experienced 2 years ago...but since I had already used my stock/401k investment to start my own small biz 6 yrs prior, I had a fall back that sustained us, made the mortgage payments, etc during that time.

9 yrs running now, my small biz investment has produced $98k to $140k annually on an original investment of $38k with recurring annual new spend of about $25k to grow the inventory.

so, sorry to participate in the hijack but for those who can't hold their head up this week about their 401k performance last week...there are alternatives.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok...I understand the OP, but I also agree with the hijack point.

some of us pulled out of the market long before the last crash and the last crash before that and even taking the IRS ding, the ROI has far exceeded what the stock market has produced.

so for a market conversation...yep...good job at profiting on the roller coaster.

and for those who may not be as investment savvy there are other options out there.
in fact I saw a thread this morning that asked about sudden unemployment. Which I too experienced 2 years ago...but since I had already used my stock/401k investment to start my own small biz 6 yrs prior, I had a fall back that sustained us, made the mortgage payments, etc during that time.

9 yrs running now, my small biz investment has produced $98k to $140k annually on an original investment of $38k with recurring annual new spend of about $25k to grow the inventory.

so, sorry to participate in the hijack but for those who can't hold their head up this week about their 401k performance last week...there are alternatives.
there is tons of alternatives. and not everyone has the balls or ability to just drop out and create thier own thing. and the point to this thread was a single blip. in the past 8 years i have had a total of 15% gain in my 401k. just that single 401k. my cd's not so much. savings even worse. my precious metals has done great. but the point was about pulling funds from a retirement plans meant for long term and how it went. if last week didnt happen would they be better off or would they still have pulled out. did they get out in the dip? that is the point. congrats again on your successful business. now can we get back to the point of this thread?

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW i didnt create this to make anyone feel bad. it was only to say relax. its never good to freak out and do some things in an irrational manor. its easy to get caught up. but think of it as when the crap does hit. you have to keep your head about yourself. remain calm and think things through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts