Votes: 7 7.4%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 32 34.0%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is looking right out of our kitchen window. I can get within 10ft of these quail without them seeing me. More than likely I will just let them be but if you were going to have some quail for dinner, which method would you use to harvest these birds?

Reactions: AncientBrit

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would bet that with a .22 and some shorts I could take at least three before they get wise and flush. I have tried the shoot in amongst them method wit a shotgun, never worked well for me . You can also construct a simple repeating trap and bait it , you might wind up with the entire covey inside it.

·
15T :)
505 Posts
ya see...you invite some friends and then do a volley fire with some 12's in bird shot.

if you want to get all of them that is....you did say harvest after all

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
If I was just looking to have a bird that night, I'd be usea .22 firearm (or air rifle). If I wanted to harvest as many as possible, a shotgun.

With a shotgun you could probably get multiple per shot.

I was hunting with a buddy when we came across 3 grouse up the trail. He handed me his pack and then began this strange looking sideways kinda stalk- back and forth. He stopped, took one shot with his 20ga. and dropped two of the birds.

Said he was moving side-to-side trying to get a line on all three but couldn't.

With a shotgun you might also get a shot when they flush.

Cheers,
-Per.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
Pellet gun. Sit in the same window and pick-em off one by one with a .22 pellet gun.

Another possibility is one that I saw another forum member (Silveressa) suggest, take some of those Dixie cups (the small bathroom size) put a little seed in the bottom of the cup, put some petroleum jelly around the top edge of the cup... when the birds try to eat the seeds, the petroleum jelly will cause the cup to stick to the birds head, when a bird can't see it will just stand still... when the cup is stuck on the birds head, just walk out and pick it up.

·
15T :)
505 Posts
Pellet gun. Sit in the same window and pick-em off one by one with a .22 pellet gun.

Another possibility is one that I saw another forum member (Silveressa) suggest, take some of those Dixie cups (the small bathroom size) put a little seed in the bottom of the cup, put some petroleum jelly around the top edge of the cup... when the birds try to eat the seeds, the petroleum jelly will cause the cup to stick to the birds head, when a bird can't see it will just stand still... when the cup is stuck on the birds head, just walk out and pick it up.
thats so funny!

i gotta try that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I`d be trying a small set of old-school Bolas

With these, if you dont manage to tangle any you can at least guarantee hitting/stunning one or two...

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
.22 bolt action shooting CB caps. Open kitchen window and shoot from inside the kitchen. The window being opened will make more noise than the CB caps and they are definitely quieter than any pellet rifle I have seen. The round is propelled by the primer [email protected] 300-700 fps.

·
In a State of Disbelief
209 Posts
Flash-bang, then round 'em up. :rolleyes:

Seriously, looks like this is a regular occurance. I'd use an air rifle thru an open window or door.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only thing I don't like about the shotgun is all the little birdshot I would have to pick out.

Reactions: Kalifornia Guy

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Flash-bang, then round 'em up. :rolleyes:

Seriously, looks like this is a regular occurance. I'd use an air rifle thru an open window or door.
lol yeah, they are here every day. Man, they sure eat a lot of birdseed!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
1st method in a SHTF siuationt: M80 (Big Firecracker)+Glue+BB's= Frag em.
Toss it or use a slingshot with a cig in your mouth to light the fuse....Oh yeah be behind some cover.

2nd method in a SHTF situation: Rat Traps with penut butter and seeds.

Ah heck just use a pellet rifle, 22 or shotgun. As Idaho said, For myself I hate biteing down on shot.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Looks like you have Preps walking around out there. Go to the feed store and get you some corn chops and start feeding them a little away from your bird feeder.Then when you want one to eat pop you one with a 22 short.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
I'd use 22 shorts, with a silencer if allowed, so that a) you don't scare the others away and b) they don't associate your place with scary loud noises and steer clear of it in the future.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts