Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a facility that is sub-managed for the Department of Energy. When 9/11 occured (I didn't work there then) they locked the facility down... as in, you can't leave the building, period. So, forget your BOB...you can't get to your car.

I've been thinking about that. Recently, I stocked my office with food. Crackers, Pop-Tarts, snack bars, spare change for vending machines, boots, walking shoes, jacket, fan, heater, flashlight, extra phone charger, and some water bottles.

I think I'm going to add a sleeping bag/pad to my office as well

Has anyone else thought about this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I work in a similar environment and carry my EDC bag with me into the office minus the weapons. I keep and a case of bottled water, 2 boxes of Cliff Bars and 10 cans of Tuna in my desk. Most people in the office eat their lunch in the building so having food in your cube is common place. I like the sleeping pad idea, I might add an inflatable air matress to my cube.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
When I worked, I kept a small dorm-size fridge in my office, as well as an electric kettle and a supply of water, tea bags, snacks, etc, partly because it was so expensive to buy anything on-site. These days, I would definitely ramp up the office preps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This thread has cause many interesting thoughts to be running through my head...

Where i work it is a small privately owned company, family oriented, and the owner is a fellow prepper.

That being said my work property borders a US Military airbase... good or bad place to be if SHTF?

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
When I am in the office (three days a week), I have my "kit" with me in my backpack: protein bars, water bottle, flashlight, basic meds, etc. There is more in the car, but if the building becomes locked down for some reason I will have something with me. I am sharing my office desk with another person, so I am not keeping anything personal in the desk drawers.

Good idea about carrying change for the wending machines, thanks!

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
6,767 Posts
work in a tactal gun store plenty water food guns and ammo feel better there than home

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Why would people leave their weapons in the car? Is a job worth more than your life?

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
Why would people leave their weapons in the car? Is a job worth more than your life?
I work on a military base, they do not allow them even in your vehicle, and random searches are practiced throughout the year.

I do keep several cans of soup/ravioli/tuna and other snacks in my office - mainly because its such a hassle to leave the base to get lunch somewhere. I also keep bottled water in my office and change for vending.

Would love a pillow and cot, but the boss would probably not be too keen on that.... :sleep:

·
Banned
647 Posts
I am Law Enforcement, weapons and ammo arent an issue, we have communications out the ying yang and since I deal with convicts we have a massive supply of food and they are issued well water which is treated by other convicts from a well dug by......convicts.

When was the last time you heard of anyone actually running to jail? Besides the two idiots in Mansfield Ohio quite some time back, was running from the law and climbed over a low point in the wall of Mansfield Reformatory aka Shawshank. (This is where the movie was actually filmed.)

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not allowed to have one on 49 square miles of land. They do random searches and it would cost you your job if caught. I pray the commute is always peaceful.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
I've never given it much thought. My commute every morning is perhaps six minutes. To walk home from the office might take 35 or 40 minutes, which means unless I'm injured or there are things blocking the way home, I'm unlikely to be hunkering down in my office.

On the other hand, suppose I can't get home for some odd reason, say an extreme storm; it might make sense to lay in some bottled water and some food, perhaps a flashlight.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I keep my .45 in the glove box, cant bring it into the building. Actually not supposed to have it on Company property but my life is worth more than my job. The boss knows this.

I drive 50 miles each way to get to/from work, mostly interstate, but even then it gets kinda wierd. No way I am gonna leave my piece at home.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I eat breakfast at the office. I've usually got PopTarts, various flavors of oatmeal, and water of some kind in my desk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
work in a hospital;always the chance we could get quarantined in the event of an environmental disaster (pandemic flu,etc)or have to stay overnight in the case of an disaster involving shelter / care for refugees (happened during Katrina). Keep a case of water, 6 - 7 days of food and extra clothes in my office closet along with my GHB. Currently trying to figure out how to hang a hammock in my space without the attachments being obvious (Maintenance would freak re:ruining the sheet-rock!);probably go with a folding cot stored in my shower.

·
Hope to survive
440 Posts
I started stocking up food at work awhile ago, tuna, energy bars, etc. Have a flashlight, first aid kit and carry weapons. I don't advertise them, so no one has to know. Better safe than sorry. i have blankets in the car, best store one somewhere in the cube.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
work in a hospital;always the chance we could get quarantined in the event of an environmental disaster (pandemic flu,etc)or have to stay overnight in the case of an disaster involving shelter / care for refugees (happened during Katrina). Keep a case of water, 6 - 7 days of food and extra clothes in my office closet along with my GHB. Currently trying to figure out how to hang a hammock in my space without the attachments being obvious (Maintenance would freak re:ruining the sheet-rock!);probably go with a folding cot stored in my shower.
Interestingly enough my wife's friend who is a doctor got trapped at a hospital during an ice storm for three days!!! Needless to say, the hospital was getting antsy. They were running out of food, linens, etc. Her friend had nothing other than the recycled cafeteria food and the same crappy clothes for three days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m lucky enough to have an office at the station I’m assigned. I’m almost finished putting together my 72 hour kit. Being in EMS, if anything major was to happen we all get called in. When I’m happy with the kit and have a little free time I’m going to take a few pics and make a post to get every ones opinion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts