Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several dozen kerosene lamps and I would like to find a way to run them on vegetable oil. I know I need to thin the oil to make it more like kerosene or lamp oil but do not know what to use. I do not want a toxic odor either or something that will explode.

thanks
mooky

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,261 Posts
The short answer is that you can't. Making it into biodiesel might work, but it's rather involved just to make lamp oil. You can, however, buy or make lamps that are designed to burn vegetable oil rather than kerosene.

·
just me and mine
645 Posts
The short answer is that you can't. Making it into biodiesel might work, but it's rather involved just to make lamp oil. You can, however, buy or make lamps that are designed to burn vegetable oil rather than kerosene.
How would you alter the kerosene lamps?

This could save people (including me!) tons of money, as veg. oil can be bought in 5 gallon jugs at places like Costco or Sam's Club.... Ya, you have to buy the stinking membership, but if you have the money to shop regularly there for preps, you save alot over time.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,261 Posts
How would you alter the kerosene lamps?

This could save people (including me!) tons of money, as veg. oil can be bought in 5 gallon jugs at places like Costco or Sam's Club.... Ya, you have to buy the stinking membership, but if you have the money to shop regularly there for preps, you save alot over time.
I don't think you can modify a kerosene lamp to run on veggie oil. Veggie oil lamps are built completely differently. First of all, there isn't so much wick for the oil to climb. That's one reason oil won't work well in a kerosene lamp. It won't climb that much wick.

A veggie oil lamp is more like an oil candle. Smaller wick closer to the oil, and from what I've seen of them, most have no chimney, so of course they aren't nearly as bright. You can make them out of almost anything. Cans and cotton mop strings, etc.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have an oil lamp that burns lamp oil. I am told that it will burn olive oil as well. Is there a reason that it wouldn't burn regular veggie oil? I'd appreciate any explanation.

Thanks in advance!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts