Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how everyone else treats the outside of their bunker before they bury them in the ground?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've read several posts where people used a waterproof paint and one person mentioned using a rubberized spray on coating that is the same stuff as used for pickup truck bed liners (probably pretty expensive unless you can DIY).

·
Registered
253 Posts
my plans are to use pink styrofoam insulation sheets 2"thick between the soil and the bunker..maybe spray it with papercrete or mortar before applying the foam board as an extra layer of protection

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
This needs to be done first!!! Read the article.... very informative

http://www.radonseal.com/basement-waterproofing.htm
It is not a bad idea. The things to remember:
1. There must be an external drainage/ bottom of the excavation preparation.
2. Whatever anyone does, water wins, eventually. Especially if something "drastic" occurs - something requiring usage of the shelter.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Underground concrete water proofing

I think something like what they sell at bestmaterials.com should work. I don't work there or get paid by them bla, bla, bla.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
EDPM Pond Liner is about the best waterproof protective cover around for anything earth covered. Just make sure the pond liner itself is tightly covered with 1/2 inch thick foam insulation board, or a relatively thick layer of sand, or gravel free dirt before you cover it with fill that may contain sharp rocks or objects.

Reactions: Aussie1

·
Registered
253 Posts
billboard tarps-old billboard advertising..they print it onto vinyl covers that go onto the roadside billboards..you can find the old ones for sale on the internet..usually pretty big sections..waterproof just like a pool/pond liner,same rules apply..

·
Registered
253 Posts
how to treat an underground bunker?

wasn't coal tar outlawed due to environmental restrictions? or am I confusing that with creosote?:xeye: I think the bigger solution is to select the site carefully for good drainage FIRST, and then when emplacing it, to use perforated drainage pipe buried around the close perimeter to carry away groundwater that exerts hydro pressure on the structure

coated with coal tar epoxy. They last a long time.
I think it is pretty much the gold standard

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,881 Posts
I think Coal tar Epoxy is still fine and legal to use. Just follow the precautions about PPE when applying, or buy it already applied.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=291310

Creosote I believe has been banned for consumer use (along with arsenic), but is still used by railway companies and for telephone poles.

I just walked past a few new coated telephone poles waiting for the crews to install them a few months ago and there was no mistaking that stench.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am not sure I would use creosote or coal tar if your water source is a moderately shallow well located near your bunker.

I think a fiberglass wrap works well if applied right and coated with foam insulation spray, then wrapped in several layers of plastic sheeting before burial.

·
Registered
253 Posts
the foam insulation spray sounds like a winner,big money but probably worth it with all thats at stake..the plastic wrap or EPDM liner would be awesome for a top layer wrap.....someone told me the poles went to a 'ZMA' zinc magnesium alginate instead of creosote due to restrictions on creosote application..I know you can't grind railroad ties here in MD,you have to ship them out of state..more $$$$$$$

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,881 Posts
the foam insulation spray sounds like a winner,big money but probably worth it with all thats at stake..the plastic wrap or EPDM liner would be awesome for a top layer wrap.....someone told me the poles went to a 'ZMA' zinc magnesium alginate instead of creosote due to restrictions on creosote application..I know you can't grind railroad ties here in MD,you have to ship them out of state..more $$$$$$$
It might depend on the state or the utility.
I know that the poles they just put in my housing area 2 months ago were definitely creosote. The stench was overpowering if you walked past the poles they had laying down until they used them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
how to treat the outside of a bunker

but isnt creosote a pressure impregnated treatment? where you have a pressure vessel that takes the poles or railroad ties and you load them in one end of a huge tank-like vessel that closes and pressure forces the creosote into the wood? or is it a spray-on treatment like hot asphalt? correct me if Im wrong on that one.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,881 Posts
but isnt creosote a pressure impregnated treatment? where you have a pressure vessel that takes the poles or railroad ties and you load them in one end of a huge tank-like vessel that closes and pressure forces the creosote into the wood? or is it a spray-on treatment like hot asphalt? correct me if Im wrong on that one.
Coal tar epoxy was the coating suggested for the bunker, not creosote.
it is not pressure applied.

The creosote topic was brought up by someone as a side question.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts