Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how do you throw a knife. I know you have to stand at a certain distance to hold the handle but what at what distance and what knives (other than throwing knives, kinda obvious) can be thrown correctly?

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
one, don't like throwing non throwing knives, 1. you disarm yourself if you miss 2. knife is not made for the impact or side hit, can snap the blade either way. depends on your distance really, under hand , overhand, rotation ect. get one of these and practice. get a pro thrower and have at it... you wont break it.

Attachments

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one, don't like throwing non throwing knives, 1. you disarm yourself if you miss 2. knife is not made for the impact or side hit, can snap the blade either way. depends on your distance really, under hand , overhand, rotation ect. get one of these and practice. get a pro thrower and have at it... you wont break it.
I'm with you on not using knives that aren't suppose to be thrown. I'm interested in knife throwing as a LAST ditch self defense tactic (or non-tactic). I don't think it's a wise thing to do, but it looks like fun throwing them at targets (non-living targets that is, it's fun shooting, it's NOT fun killing)

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
I'm with you on not using knives that aren't suppose to be thrown. I'm interested in knife throwing as a LAST ditch self defense tactic (or non-tactic). I don't think it's a wise thing to do, but it looks like fun throwing them at targets (non-living targets that is, it's fun shooting, it's NOT fun killing)
it is fun, do it with hawks as well, go buy you a couple of cheap fixed blades, (under 10$ if ya can find em) start off at 5 feet, straight throw, no spin, watch for bounce backs. you get where you can hit that 10 out of 10,, back up another 5 feet, try 1 rotation, , depending on which is the heavy end of the knife, throw from the light end. if its heavy at the butt throw by the tip. to practice i would dull the edges and tape the scales, but thats just me. turns depens on the balance of the knife, the weight of the knife. under 10 feet, no spin , palm the blade tip fwd and underhand.....works for me anyway. results may vary/

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I was wondering how do you throw a knife. I know you have to stand at a certain distance to hold the handle but what at what distance and what knives (other than throwing knives, kinda obvious) can be thrown correctly?
Easier to show than tell.

But basically you want to keep the blade in line with your for arm your pinky js used for aiming/release

My biggest issue is I tend to rotate the wrist when I release like I did as a kid playing baseball.

Start at 3 meters
then 6
then 9

GloCK and sog are both good throwers not that I'm super keen on tossing a blade it can be useful to stop someone running.

·
I didn't do it !
505 Posts
Trying to hit a target that's moving at you isn't so easy. Throwing a knife at a fixed target is much easier. We use to kill mice in the barn this way. Got pretty good at it & even had a knife throwing act for a while.
Build your target from real wood (2x4,2x6 etc...), soft wood preferably (pine). Soak it in water (makes the wood softer so the knife will stick even on a gentle throw). Hold most of the blade in your hand (this helps control the amount of spin on the knife). Bring hand to ear, straighten arm (DO NOT flip your wrist) keep it straight and allow the knife to slip out of your hand just before your arm is straight. At around 6-7ft form the target. The knife should spin 180deg putting the point into the target. Knife at thigh? Bring arm straight out, keep your wrist straight.
Start out throwing softly at a wet wood target till you get the arm movement & timing if your release right. Then back off about 3-4ft and throw by holding the handle.
Use a good balanced knife. The more off balance it is the more the knife will spin which will change the distance for a straight impact. A gentle throw will stick in the soft wet wood. If the handle is pointing up step closer. If it's pointing down back up a foot.
Practice practice practice!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Go on YouTube and search no rotation knife throwing. I know that many of the YouTube videos are ads for DVD's and whatever, but you can learn the technique and it works for any type of knife, machete, whatever...even a sword. The guy does it in motion, around obstacles, etc. Once you learn the technique I believe it will work better than the rotational throwing techniques with less chance not to stick. I downloaded them to my laptop which I do not have accessible right now and have not really practiced it yet because I will have to unlearn the rotation method I have done since childhood, which works fairly well, but I will try to find the link.

·
swamp rat
2,533 Posts
You lash it to the end of a stick of wood and throw it like a javelin.
And you probably shouldn't be doing even that with your primary blade. Too easy to break or lose it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yea, I broke the tip off one of my better knives trying to learn how to throw. I never got past being able to do 1 rotation, even then it wasn't really a whole rotation, but I could adjust it so the knife would make that rotation slower as it went throw the air. Does that make sense? I'd hold it by the blade with my thumb and index finger with the blade facing my palm. Between it leaving my hand and hitting tree (my target) the blade only rotated a little over 180 degrees. Then after making sure it had enough force, it was a matter of controlling how fast that rotation was while making sure not to spin it. I still throw my EDC flip knife at the ground like that sometimes.

I think there also might be a way to just sorta palm the knife by the handle and then whip it like a baseball at your target trying to make it fly straight.

I don't know if knife throwing is all that useful in a practical sense, but doing it made me realize something like throwing stars could be in some instances.

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to affirm the point of having proper equipment I'll tell a short story: I was trying out knife throwing with a short kitchen knife, I chose a sampling tree for my target and I was at arm's length and a hand away from it (isn't that impressive, I could start a knife marksman club just on that. :) ) the knife stuck when I threw it and I thought "cool!", then I pulled it out and the blade broke and I thought "not cool!". Just goes to show you that you should use proper equipment .

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Yea, I broke the tip off one of my better knives trying to learn how to throw. I never got past being able to do 1 rotation, even then it wasn't really a whole rotation, but I could adjust it so the knife would make that rotation slower as it went throw the air. Does that make sense? I'd hold it by the blade with my thumb and index finger with the blade facing my palm. Between it leaving my hand and hitting tree (my target) the blade only rotated a little over 180 degrees. Then after making sure it had enough force, it was a matter of controlling how fast that rotation was while making sure not to spin it. I still throw my EDC flip knife at the ground like that sometimes.

I think there also might be a way to just sorta palm the knife by the handle and then whip it like a baseball at your target trying to make it fly straight.

I don't know if knife throwing is all that useful in a practical sense, but doing it made me realize something like throwing stars could be in some instances.
1 rotation no rotation doesn't matter. If you keep inlme with fore arm use pinky to aim
and hold blade farther from hilt farther you are from target you'll hit.

Closer to handle =less rotation
farther =more

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have loved knives, & and Using them all my life....
But I Never have been able to throw a knife (& stick it).
I'm not saying others cannot do it, but my lack of knife throwing skills, would keep me from throwing a knife in defense....
I wish you success in your practicing

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I have loved knives, & and Using them all my life....
But I Never have been able to throw a knife (& stick it).
I'm not saying others cannot do it, but my lack of knife throwing skills, would keep me from throwing a knife in defense....
I wish you success in your practicing
It's actually better to stick someone runNing if there ahead of you stick em jn the ass no **** tho

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I haven't done any knife throwing now for years, used to be mucking around throwing knives, tomahawks and machetes all the time when I was a young fella. I remember on the start of "Daniel Boon" old Daniel chucking a axe at a tree and spliliting it down the center, thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen and spent a lot of time with my hatchet trying to emulate my on screen hero but to no avail.

Throwing is fun and is a good holsome past time the whole family can join in but as a form of defence is next to useless. Evan if your able to reliably make the knife stick acuratly, pocking holes into an attacker, evan if those holes ultimately prove fatal, will more than likely enrage and embolden an attacker in the short term. Its not like in the movies were a fella gets a knife in the chest and folds over dead, evan if you get him in the heart he still needs to bleed out, and while bleeding out he now has a knife with which to attack you with. Arrows would be fare more effective than knives but ask any bow hunter how many times they have dropped a animal in there tracks with a bow and arrow? I think you will find hardly ever in any times at all.

Thowing bricks would probably be more effective than throwing knives.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
I haven't done any knife throwing now for years, used to be mucking around throwing knives, tomahawks and machetes all the time when I was a young fella. I remember on the start of "Daniel Boon" old Daniel chucking a axe at a tree and spliliting it down the center, thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen and spent a lot of time with my hatchet trying to emulate my on screen hero but to no avail.

Throwing is fun and is a good holsome past time the whole family can join in but as a form of defence is next to useless. Evan if your able to reliably make the knife stick acuratly, pocking holes into an attacker, evan if those holes ultimately prove fatal, will more than likely enrage and embolden an attacker in the short term. Its not like in the movies were a fella gets a knife in the chest and folds over dead, evan if you get him in the heart he still needs to bleed out, and while bleeding out he now has a knife with which to attack you with. Arrows would be fare more effective than knives but ask any bow hunter how many times they have dropped a animal in there tracks with a bow and arrow? I think you will find hardly ever in any times at all.

Thowing bricks would probably be more effective than throwing knives.
we used to "cut cards" every sunday, excellent pass time, and you made me flash back to that show, fess parker throwin tha hawk as Danil Boone. remember watching that in black and white.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Every bladed object--axe, knife etc. has a "stick point" at some (X) distance from the target...It varies by instrument and method of throwing--hilt vs. blade--but they all have them.

At Fur Trade rendezvous we throw hawks and knives, a lot...For hawks, take seven paces from the target, turn and step into the throw, continue taking a step and throw the knife...In both cases by the handles...At ten paces you throw the hawk with the blade reversed (away from the target) and it will stick handle up.

The biggest problem is the bullcrap that Hollywood has portrayed on knife throwing...Twenty feet away, the blade goes into the rib cage vertical and in up to the hilt and the bad guy drops dead right there and then...There is a problem, a wee, tiny, miniscule problem with that scenario...The blades are usually wider then the gap between the ribs and try taking a knife to your local butchers and stab the rib cage of a pig and see how far your knife enters and the amount of energy needed to achieve that depth--make sure you have a good hilt on it otherwise you'll cut your hand to rat faeces.

Throwing knives for sport is fun but as a defensive (or would that be offensive) stratagem sheer lunacy, even last ditch...That especially applies to shurikens...It was an extremely unlucky person who died from one and then only if a major artery was severed and even then it would take a few minutes for them to collapse from lack of oxygen to the brain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts