Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
NO, I continue to use the transformer analogy because it's something simple that most people have seen and kinda understand. It's the easiest way to explain to folks with no understanding or desire to learn that effect of a voltage being induce by the changes in the magnetic field into a stationary wire. It's really basic motor generator theory and applies to what we're talking about. Where by turning a motor that has a permanent magnet you can generate a voltage. The difference being that with an EMP the wire is stationary and the field is changing.
The motor is immediately what I thought of and makes the most sense. Took physics about 6 years ago so I'm a bit rusty!

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
The motor is immediately what I thought of and makes the most sense. Took physics about 6 years ago so I'm a bit rusty!
You?

I took these basic electricity course back in the mid 70's and then again in the early 80's. So almost 30 years since I learned the basics. I actually had at least 3 different courses over a 10 year time period. (One in the Navy, one for an upgrade at work and then a few college level courses.)

Being a mechanic it wasn't all esoteric and delving into the minutia. But the teachers taught it and compared it to things we did understand. (I use to be a mechanic for much of my life.)

Like;
Voltage is similar to pressure.
Amperage is similar to flow.
Resistance is similar to reduction in pipe size.
That a generator is not much more then a motor coupled to an engine. Much like a generator or alternator on a vehicle.
As a mechanic in the Navy we ran steam driven (just a different form of engine) generators to power the ship.
etc.

The reason I prefer the transformer analogy is because of the fluctuating magnetic field on the primary side by the use of the iron core going through both sides (stationary wire) is then also induce onto the windings of the secondary side. I could have used traffic light signal trip switches where the metal of a vehicle changes the inductance in the coil buried in the ground.

But to many folks it's just magic that the signal 'knows' you're there and the traffic lights needs to change.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
5 gallon metal paint bucket inside and insulated from a 55 gallon metal drum that's grounded will handle most things, per a buddy of mine who has designed countermeasures for the EMP grenades that are current issue....

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.