Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Like most folks here, my head is spinning from the vast amount of (often contradictory) information on EMP's. Everytime I THINK I actually know something concrete, I read something convincing that makes me doubt it.
Anyway, it's my understanding that EMP's are basically a radio wave, as are cell phone signals. So, I'm curious about MikeK's experience with the microwave filtering cell signals, but then allowing a toy remote control signal to pass. This doesn't instill much confidence in the security of a micro-wave oven as an EMP-proof container ( in fact, I'd say it shoots it all to hell).
I'm thinking about testing this further, by placing a small am/fm radio,turned up loud, inside a microwave and seeing if it gets a signal. Then I could try it with a little Motorola walkie-talkie. The same tests could be done with ammo,paint and garbage cans, but I guess it STILL wouldn't be a fool-proof test of whether or not an EMP will get through.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I admit, I USED to be relatively unconcerned about EMP's, but the more I read, the more I realized how vulnerable we are to it,how easy it would be for any number of our enemies to send us back to the middle ages, and the fact that THEY KNOW THIS. To dismiss this entirely is just plain stupid.Period.
Sure, there are aspects of this threat that we can't protect oursleves from, but there are a couple practical things we can and should do,at the personal level. If nothing else, imagine what a God-send a few flashlights would be if there was no electricity? And imagine how stupid and ill-prepared you'd feel if we DID get EMP'd, and you're sitting on a several expensive,high quality LED flashlights........that are completely fried.
With this in mind, several months ago, I took several good flashlights (Surefire, Streamlight, Gerber Infinity,etc.) and did the home-made nested cage thing. I have lots of other good lights, so I'm not missing them, but if something DOES happen, at the very least I'll have light.
In this case,an old expression comes to mind, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king". :D:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.