Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone had any info on what exactly to do with the hide after you skin and animal ?

how to dry it and preserve or tanning?

i have skiined small game for camping and hunting but never tryed to save the hide cause i basicly dont no how but i am wanting to learn

any info would really help

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Me too. I know that they have to be stretched scraped (the fat) and dried but not much else.

·
Traveler
229 Posts
Don't know how you guys do it, but many years ago when I was a 7th grade student, my teacher used to do it with a big old wooden paddle...LOL

It had holes drilled in it so no air could restrict its downward force...haha.

But on a serious not, I would also like to learn this trade myself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It depends if you want the hair removed first. If you want the hair off then soak it thoroughly and add white wood ashes to the hair side and then roll it up and secure it. Plave it in a moving stream for 3-4 days until the hair slips. Then use a blunt stick to remove the rest of the hair. Next prepare a large garbage can with either a mixture of chemical tanning agent, or a tannin based agent and soak the hide for a minimum of 5 days. remove and rinse well and scrape all remaining hide and hair from it. Let hang and dry for a day and then stretch it and twist it until supple. Leather will be usable after this process.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Look up brain tanning .The Native American way Know a few people who do it in my area.In fact I use the Hides for regailia,bags and other things

Watch one,Do one,Teach one.
MEDICUS ORDINARIUS

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
A buddy of mine brain tans several hundred deer a year. He says a critter has enough brains to tan it's own hide. (exept for a few humans I know) You can use any kind of brains to tan with. He gets brains from the butcher shop. After you scrape the hide you have to boil the brains into a paste and smear them on the hide. You can leave the hair on if you want. Just put the brains on the inside of the hide. If you want the hair off do like reforger68 said. After its tanned my buddy works it over the end of a 2x4 to soften it. To keep it from rehardening when it gets wet hang it in the smoke of a fire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The traditional method is to:

remove all the excess meat
then brain tan the hide (brains mixed with boiling water)
then dry it over a smoking fire :):):)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts