Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about the problems with backing stuff like Bisquick due to the butter or shortening going bad. So am thinking about just storing baking soda and cream of tarter separately and am uncertain on if eggs and shortening or butter can be stored long term. From those of you out there that know, what do you think? Thanks

·
Infraction Collector
2,409 Posts
We've always got laying hens so we're good there.

I suppose hog lard would have to do a lot. A wild hog,..would yield quite a LOT of lard,..and lard can be kept room temperature for months.

If you can get fresh milk,....like from a milk cow(heavey cream still in),.....butter is the simplest thing to make fresh. And NO you can't use goats milk.

You aren't going to be able to store butter without refridgeration. Not very long anyways.
Eggs ,..freshly laid,....if kept in a cool dry place will last a long time,....3 months I'm sure,....like a root cellar,..or underground where its cool,....but in the hot sun....1 or 2 days and it's over.

The storebought eggs most people buy,......have been refrigerated yes,..but they are most likely already 2 or 3 months old when they hit the store shelves.

I had researched all this when I decided to start raising hens several years ago. An egg is truely a masterpiece,...very resistant to nasties. Oh ,..also,..DOn't WASH THEM if you're going to store them.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Emergency Essentials has just started carrying small cans of powdered eggs and butter powder. Canned is the only way to store these items long time, but a #10 can is a LOT of powdered egg for one person, so I've ordered some small ones to try.

·
Retired Army
5,542 Posts
kinda pricey but neat
If you join the Buyers Club or whatever they call it, it is much lower. Example the eggs are listed @ $130 buyers club price -20% = $104 with free shipping to lower 48. 5-10 years shelf life unopened.
I did the math on the eggs one time and they actually were comparable to fresh eggs in price. (each can is equal to 50 eggs)

Now the butter on the other hand I think is high but, this is the best price I have found on it yet. ($195 - 20% = $156) Indefinite shelf life.

Al

·
Registered
184 Posts
Our store carries powered butter in #10 cans along with cheese, whole eggs and a lot of other long storage prep items. They have wheat both red and white wheat, and oats in 5 gallon buckets. The grocery store also carries food grade barrels in sizes 30 to 50 gallon. Living in a Mormon area has its advantages.

·
I am a woman. :o)
2,852 Posts
Our store carries powered butter in #10 cans along with cheese, whole eggs and a lot of other long storage prep items. They have wheat both red and white wheat, and oats in 5 gallon buckets. The grocery store also carries food grade barrels in sizes 30 to 50 gallon. Living in a Mormon area has its advantages.
I'm jealous!!!:) Nothing like that here in Central Texas that I know of.:(

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found smaller quantities on a site called Honeyville Food Products, and shipping for the total shipment is only $4.49. The site seems to check out as a good one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I found smaller quantities on a site called Honeyville Food Products, and shipping for the total shipment is only $4.49. The site seems to check out as a good one.
I've ordered things from Honeyville, they are a good site. If you can, you might want to wait a month or so and they should have their 10% or 15% off code again. Their current 10% off just ended yesterday.

that's almost $10 a pound for butter...:eek:
I know, but it's an less expensive alternative to the higher prices of other sites, like EE, SafeCastle, etc. for the same product. ;) However, The Ready Store has the same clarified butter for $71.49, plus $10 shipping.

·
Totally off grid
2,882 Posts
I've ordered things from Honeyville, they are a good site. If you can, you might want to wait a month or so and they should have their 10% or 15% off code again. Their current 10% off just ended yesterday.

I know, but it's an less expensive alternative to the higher prices of other sites, like EE, SafeCastle, etc. for the same product. ;) However, The Ready Store has the same clarified butter for $71.49, plus $10 shipping.
Dang...i guess my powdered butter is sounding better everyday...:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
There are a lot of threads on here about fats, so I won't go into that. But powdered eggs store fine as long as you keep them dry. For long term, they need protection from light and O2 also. Packed my mylar with O2 absorbers, they'll last well over a decade. I'm eating some from a #10 can that sat in the hot shed for over a decade. They're still plenty edible. They have a fair shelf life after opening also, as long as you keep them dry.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info, if I buy a large can of powdered eggs would I have the same storage time if I split the can into two mylar bags with 02 absorbers instead of leaving them in the factory cans?

And the same question on the shortening and butter? I just would like the ability to open smaller portions instead of large ones.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Thanks for the info, if I buy a large can of powdered eggs would I have the same storage time if I split the can into two mylar bags with 02 absorbers instead of leaving them in the factory cans?

And the same question on the shortening and butter? I just would like the ability to open smaller portions instead of large ones.
Mylar is the best that most of us have for long term storage. But even it's not 100% O2 impervious like the cans are. I think I'd keep it in the can until you need it. Then split it up after you open it. If you keep the spare eggs dry, they'll last until you use it up. A #10 can doesn't hold a whole lot of eggs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts