Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never Gardened! Help!

I just got my seeds in the mail. How do I store them until spring?
What if I don't use them all, can I store them for over a year? How would I go about that?
Thanks for any help!

Have a blessed day

·
Registered
40 Posts
what has always worked good for me is keep them in the paper they came in and keep them high and dry. if you are taking seeds from a crop, lay them on a paper towl, news paper,etc. put up until dry, then store in envelopes clearly marked with name and date. if you dont use them all keep them stored in the same manner they will be fine for another year. happy gardening!

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I thought the best way was to store them in a freezer(?)

·
Registered
40 Posts
some say this is good but i personally havnt noticed any difference. they grow both ways for me. the reason for storing in the freezer is to trick them into thinking the have just wintered over. and you can do this by putting them in the freezer for a short period of time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
According to Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth, the dryer and cooler the storage conditions the longer seed will keep. She recommends using silica gel and packing in airtight containers. She also said that the moisture content of the seeds needs to be very low if you're going to freeze them, otherwise the ice crystals which form may damage the cell membranes.

Personally I just keep them in a cardboard box in a cool, dry area of the house.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I was wondering if putting them up in mylar with oxygen absorbers like we do food grains is the best way to go? Throw in a silica dissicant pouch and good to go, or would this dry the seed out too much?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Seeds are living things. They need oxygen to live. I don't know how much oxygen the absorbers take out but I would guess you'd be better off just using the dessicants.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I got this information from the company I ordered my seeds from:

Seeds can be stored safely for 3 years at 65 degrees temperature and much longer at lower temperatures. Viability remains at about 75-85% after 3 years at room temperature.

The critical factors for storing seeds are temperature and moisture content. Storage temperature should be a cool area of your home, these seeds may even be stored in your refrigerator.

Each 5.6 degree C (10.08 degree F) drop in storage temperature may double the storage life of non-hybrid seeds. People sometimes ask if freezing will hurt these seeds, the answer is no. The National Seed Laboratory freezes their long term storage seeds. Nature freezes seeds during their dormant winter period with no adverse effects.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I just found this on a site

Oxygen Absorbers are included in each airtight container for all Vegetable Patch Seed Kits! We recommend freezing these kits that are packed for long term storage, if you do not plan to plant them right away. New research has shown that removing the oxygen lengthens shelf life for seeds and that the seeds suffer no loss of germination potential, if stored in an oxygen free environment! Oxygen, Heat and Light destroy shelf life. If you use part of the seed and are saving some for next year; either vacuum seal the seeds (removing the oxygen) and freeze them or purchase some oxygen absorbers from us and repackage the seeds without oxygen in airtight containers such as canning jars and then refreeze. If you are unable to refreeze, then remember to store your seeds as cool as possible in a dry, dark room out of direct sunlight. Seed viability depends upon the storage conditions, the variety of seed or type of seed. For instance, most grains and beans have a 1 year shelf life in an oxygen environment at 75 degrees F. or cooler. The cooler the storage temperature the longer the shelf life. However, if the grain and bean seeds are packed in airtight containers with oxygen absorbers added, their shelf life extends to 15-20 years or more at 75 degrees F. or cooler.

Non-hybrid Seeds will bear true in succeeding generations and are most helpful, if you plan to save seed (10% of crop) and plant for the next year.
AAOOB

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ok I'm lazy I admit.

I buy seeds.
I put seeds in an unzipped ziploc (sorted by type e.g. cool season/ hot season).
I put unziplocs into a small paper tote bag with handles (like you get from a nice store KWIM?).
I hang tote bag on handle of sewing room.
I plant seeds.
Seeds grow.

Nothing fancy about my storage system...and it works.
I live in a low humidity area though.

HTH
Heather

1 - 10 of 10 Posts