Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
This is the way I sight in my long guns. Saves big bucks at the range. You really need a shooting vice, my .02. You can do three shot groups if you want but I save that for fine tuning.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=1D75BE208093A82FB8D91D75BE208093A82FB8D9

Bore sight to 50 yard and make sure you are on paper, then use the above at 100 yard. I have shocked a lot of people at the range using this. It does work!

As I stated before, invest in a good shooting vice and use it.

Dave

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Brought this up to an employee at my LGS and he said that you're supposed to move the reticle to where the impacts are. I've been shooting and using scope for quite a while and have never heard this logic before. It's always been adjust the turrets in the direction you want the bullet impact to go.

Has anyone every heard of logic like this before? Or are my turret directions just backwards?
Either way works. Both ways you are simply getting scope to agree with where rifle is actually impacting when held on a given line.

Adjusting scope to match previous impact works fine IF the impact shows on scope and you can lock down the gun between the shot and the adjustment fairly well.

A quick way to get close with very first shot works with guns where you can see through the bore. Lock it down, look through bore at a defined spot, then adjust scope to that spot, looking back and forth between bore and scope until they match.

You can do that with AR by just taking upper off, removing BCG and laying upper on something stable.

It's just "boresighting" with your eye instead of a laser.

- OS

·
Troll Slayer
781 Posts
Either way works. Both ways you are simply getting scope to agree with where rifle is actually impacting when held on a given line.

Adjusting scope to match previous impact works fine IF the impact shows on scope and you can lock down the gun between the shot and the adjustment fairly well.

A quick way to get close with very first shot works with guns where you can see through the bore. Lock it down, look through bore at a defined spot, then adjust scope to that spot, looking back and forth between bore and scope until they match.

You can do that with AR by just taking upper off, removing BCG and laying upper on something stable.

It's just "boresighting" with your eye instead of a laser.

- OS
That's exactly what I did when I "boresighted" the AR after losing too much light outside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys, I'm new here. I decided to join because I want to learn more about guns in general. I'm looking for advice on which among the scopes I should buy in this review I read. I don't want to make the wrong decision by deciding by myself. Thanks in advance guys.
Scope Review

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,983 Posts
I am sure you won't believe how I sighted in my Mini-14 in my kitchen, but it worked. Can't look down the bore, so I tried this.
I put the rifle in a vice. I ran a piece of surveyor's line through a .223 shell and out the primer hole and knotted the end. I ran the other end out the barrel to the far wall about 12 feet away. Looking at the barrel, I visually centered the line in the bore as I pulled it tight. I marked where that was on the wall. I measured the vertical distance from the bore to the center of the scope, and marked that on the wall above the other mark. I then sighted the scope on the upper mark. On the range I was only off by about 1" at 50 yards. It is amazing how accurately you can visually find the center of the bore that way.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts