Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my rifle is shooting in a 1 foot circle at 100 yards. The scope is about 10 years old, and better models are on the market, so I decided to replace it.

Mount the new scope, step off from the target about 20 feet and fire one or two rounds. Adjust the scope and almost double the distance to the target. Fire a few rounds, adjust, back up again. Keep doing this until you reach the desired distance. I was 3 inches off on the first shot at @ 20 feet. At 100 yards I would have been 30+ inches off. So start close and work away from the target.

The rifle in the video is a Remington 700 BDL mountain rifle in 280. The scope is a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50. The other rifle in the picture is a marlin 336 30-30.

Attachments

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New File Added: Video - How to sight in a new scope

Downloads: A new file has been added by kev:

Video - How to sight in a new scope

This video covers the basics of sighting in a new scope. The scope is a Bushnell and the rifle is a Remington model 700 BDL mountain rifle in 280 / 7mm express.

This file is the same video that was uploaded to youtube. I am posting it here so members can download the file and view it at later time.

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to the camp and deer lease today.

The memory card on the trail camera needs to be swapped out - the trail camera thread and I need to finish sighting the rifle in. The scope is about an inch off at 100 feet. That is good enough to get me on the paper at 100 yards.

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from the camp.

The distance on the first round was about 60 yards. The first round hit about 5 inches high. The scope was adjusted and the second round hit 3 inches high.

After the second round, I moved to 75 yards. The first round at 75 yards hit bulls eye.

After the 75 yard shot, its time to move to further distances - such as 100+ yards.

Attachments

·
Funky Laughin' Monk
291 Posts
Good post, haven't watched the videos yet.

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good post, haven't watched the videos yet.
Thank you.

Phil Takken said:
This message may be a bit slow to get to its point (sorry).

My cousin Jack in scotland is my mentor when it comes to rifle shooting, him and jackson the sniper from saving private ryan. he has taught me so much about deer shooting and small game hunting e.g. rabbits. now i havn't taken up deer shooting just yet.

at my grandads 80th this summer i sat next to jack at the birthday lunch, he invited me up to scottland next summer, and left me and anna (my sis) with a very economical way of getting started with a new scope.

its called bore sighting that does not require shooting, but it just gets you started. now safety (empty) your 30/30 or which ever one you are using, slide the bolt out; look down the ballel (stock/butt end) and have the target in your view from the image at the end of the barrel (like the james bond opening scene) then hold the rifle perfectly in place; look through the scope. and see where you should alter the cross hairs. this is a good trick when large ammo is pricey. once the target shows in the scope and barrel, you can fine tweak it and have a mean machine. good luck man. happy hunting too. :)
Phil, yes that is a way of sighting in a scope, but it will not get you accurate at longer distances. The only way to get your scope sighted in for real accuracy is to fire a few rounds down range.

Instead of firing 1 round at 20 feet, the rifle could have been bore sighted, then back up to 50 - 75 feet.

·
Young Gun
107 Posts
no ofcourse not, but if your scope is first put on, it is best to get it clicked near the target before you fire. it doesnt sight it perfectly, but it gets u started.

·
Funky Laughin' Monk
291 Posts
Just finished watching the first video, well done.

·
Funky Laughin' Monk
291 Posts
Just finished watching the second video, again, well done. I'm sure it'll help any one who needs help sighting a new scope.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
to me that looks to be a hard way of zeroing your weapon.for my 308 what i do is at 25yrds zero it about 1"- 1 1/2" below center,at 100yrds it will be 1"-2" high of center this makes me zero at 200yrds and at 250 yrds it will have droped 1"-2" . which for hunting no matter if your 25yrds - 250 yrds if your aim is on you should still hit with in 2" which is fine for hunting. and i dont use near as big of a scope like that for under 300yrds. all i got is a 3x9 40mm. i do agree, you do need to let the barrel cool, i usually do 3 rnd grps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to rifles, and i couldnt understand exactly how to sight in a new scope please explain better if u can thnx.. dont mean to be rude!!

thns

·
Registered
6 Posts
ohh im sooo sorry i didnt mean to spam i thought this was like an msn messenger thing where u get replys automatically.. im so sorry guys...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts