Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of converting a minivan into a BOV/camper. I know it is small for this purpose, but I don't have a lot of cash and want something as fuel efficient as possible. Also, the minivan doesn't look like a camper and could easily blend in and no one would suspect I was living in there. I could take out the back seats, cover up the windows with curtains and put a small bed or sleeping bag in the back. When I need to bathe, I could flip the bed 90 degrees vertical on its long side and then set up some kind of tub with a solar shower above me and shower curtains around to keep the water from leaking out all over the palce, but the details of the rig are hard to come up with. Anyone have suggestions? The tub has to be collapsible or easily stowable because there isn't a lot of space inside the van and it can't be in the way when I lay the bed back out to sleep on. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Make a ring to hang a shower curtain from OUTSIDE of the van. maybe clamp it to a luggage rack if you have one. Then get a twelve volt agricultural spray tank to fill with water. You can rig it to plug into the cigarette lighter. They come in sizes from back pack type sprayers, to the size that straps to a four wheeler, all the way up to the huge ones that take up the whole bed of a pick up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've lived in my minivan before for about 6 months when I was living in another province. It was quite comfortable, I showered at a truck stop that I had a fuel card for. You can buy those outdoor solar camping showers, I think that would be the best for you, they are small and fold up.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
shower outside the van. also, tint the windows then put curtains up. curtains are a dead give away.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Use an outside shower. I really don;t see how there's room to take a full shower. Sponge bath maybe but a shower would get everything wet. get a solar heated one for outside the van

·
Registered
195 Posts
Setting up a shower in a full sized van is difficult, in a minivan it's almost impractical. Since you won't be able to stand, you'll need a larger area- something you really don't have.

I stealth camp in my van a lot so I've got some experience in this area. If I'm not very dirty, I use handi-wipes; if I really need to get clean and can't find a secluded place to use my shower setup then I do the sponge bath thing. I have a sink and stove in the van so I can heat water and pour it in the sink. You'll need a way to dispose of the water too, you don't want folks noticing water coming out of your vehicle or they assume you're peeing; parking over/near a storm drain is what I usually do if I can't find a dirt road or other out of the way place (I use biodegradable soap). Alternately, you can leave/park somewhere else; otherwise it usually invites unwanted visits.

If I'm able to, I have a tarp that I can drape over the rear hatch and I have two types of shower setups- a solar shower which works fine when it's warm outside and a Coleman powered shower for when it's cooler and I want hotter water http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=827B500T&categoryid=6100. The Coleman can be attached to a Coleman water carrier or just drop it in a bucket (what I do); heat your water, pour it in the bucket and wash away. It actually gives a good flow and batteries last a reasonable time. The battery holder also has the on/off switch so just get yourself wet, then cut it off, soap up then rinse again. You'll need something to stand on too such as a wood rack or a floor mat.

My brother uses a metal pump sprayer in his camper when he's boondocking. Cut the wand shorter so it's easier to control/use.

As far as not getting hassled, light discipline is a must. Tint your windows as dark as you legally can then put Reflectix in them. This serves two purposes, light can't get through and it insulates some of your largest heat sinks. Next you need some sort of barrier between the front and the rear- if folks see empty front seats they tend to not pay much attention to the vehicle. Even hanging a blanket behind the seats works. There are also metal dividers available for work vans in all sizes. You'll need to keep noise and movement to a minimum also.

Ventilation is important summer and winter. In the summer it'll help make life bearable, in the winter it helps cut condensation- waking up with your windows frozen over on the inside is a dead giveaway and also delays your being able to depart. It's also mandatory if you run a heater. We give off a LOT of moisture just breathing. If you don't have a rooftop vent at least pick up a small battery powered fan. The one I got (from Lowe's IIRC) also came with an AC adapter. Instead of the AC adapter (which just reduces 120v to 6v), I use a 12V adapter that I can plug into my accessory outlet (runs off my second battery). On low speed it doesn't draw much juice. Speaking of electricity, LED lights are great for saving battery power.

Something else I would highly recommend is a decent sized wide mouth bottle for nighttime bathroom duty- once you're settled in for the night you don't want to be opening the doors or moving about much.

I've got plenty of suggestions and can tell you what works for me and what hasn't. If you've got other questions, feel free to ask.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Cabela's hunting,fishing and outdoor gear catalog has a Shower Shelter..Basically a tall tent..Really nice and u could make your own solar 5 gallon water pail heater...Get a free catalog 800-237-4444 ...In the 2009 Spring master catalog edition 1 they are on page 290... OR www.cabelas.com then search for Deluxe Shower Shelter....

·
Longboarder
5 Posts
1. Cut small hole in roof.
2. Cut hole in floor.
3. Stick hose through the hole in roof.
4. Turn on hose bib.
5. Bathe.
;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts