Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have a lot knowlege about trees so who can help me:
how can i grow citrusfruits from seed(some of them i will use for crafting later)
How can i produce a lot of little trees fast? i have on a daily basis dozends of mandarinas and oranges and limones we eat and process for drinks. but they are not from my property. so now i want to start planting.
whats the fastest way to get the seeds to gemenation.

would be greatful for any tips

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,964 Posts
Citrus trees do not produce fruit unless the trees are pollinated. You can assume that all of the seeds are viable.

If you have an area to set up a compost pile, the easiest and fast method is to just burry the seed in compost and keep them moist for a few weeks. Many of the seeds should sprout. Once they reach about 6-8 inch height you can transplant them into pots and later plant them into you new orchard area.

Be careful to protect them as all fruit trees have a sweet sap and many animals will gladly eat your young trees.

·
Permaculturist
1,032 Posts
Don't forget about scarification and cold stratification which helps germinate some fruit trees. You can duplicate cold stratification by planting seeds in your refrigerator for a few months, or until they sprout. Do a google search on the terms.

·
Registered
194 Posts
and remember to keep the trunks covered. citrus is a actually a shrub not a true tree so the trunks sunburn. paint them white or cover them in burlap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts