Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Happy to be here!
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My used 870 has worn/ scratched bluing. Living in this humid, sweat pool called Florida, and this being a cheap, hard use weapon, I decided to apply a new finish. I would definitely NOT suggest doing this to a collector or high dollar weapon. For a SHTF gun you want to camo up or give a protective finish to…go for it. I used Alumahyde paint from Brownell’s because I’ve had good results with it in the past. The first step is taking apart the weapon and cleaning it thoroughly. I used brake cleaner to remove all the oil, and clean rags to dry it off.

Next, I taped all areas I didn’t want paint on, and hung it up.

Finally, I shot it with a coat of mat parker zed finish.

I’ll let it dry for a few days and post pictures of the finished product. The whole job ran me about $25 including shipping.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
One thing about AlumaHydeII, letting it dry longer is better.
If you can leave it a week, and in the sun, even better.

It hardens over time, the longer you can wait, the less issues you will have with scratching and chipping during assembly.

·
Farm Security for Hire
305 Posts
I've dabbled in gun painting a time or two. Here's my first project, using cheap army issue spray paint.

And here's my AK. I just sanded the wood, taped off all the metal parts, gave it a coat of primer and a couple coats of OD green Krylon. The best part is when the paint gets a few dings and chips in it. Gives it character.

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
I did my 870 in brownells alumahyde also. As someone mentioned above, it takes much longer to completely harden than it says on the can. I left mine alone for two weeks before it was good and hardened.

·
Happy to be here!
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did my 870 in brownells alumahyde also. As someone mentioned above, it takes much longer to completely harden than it says on the can. I left mine alone for two weeks before it was good and hardened.
Yup. I did an AK, and it's diamond hard after about 6 months.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Here is the best how to video on painting/camo'ing a rifle I could find. It also talks a lot about preparation before painting.

·
Mad Trapper
1,149 Posts
I just use rust olum flat black or krylon. Dries fast and holds up to heat and most chemicals.....not all, but its fast and cheap to touch up. And it keeps the moisture off the metal.
Look at any original lee enfield rifle.....there were all painted long before dura coat was even a thought. Even guns from the crimian wars were painted in the 1820s.
US navy did it to some of there guns during the cival war.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
You could have Duracoated for about the same price and had less cure time involved...I was skeptical until I tried it. Good stuff.

Just don't paint it fluorescent pink
Hahahaha...Duracoat markets a glow in the dark gun finish...

Will, nice looking shotgun, before and after....
Thnx for the pics...good job, Come to think of it I have some guns that are rattier looking than the one in the "before" picture...

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
I use base coat flat black engine block paint then after drying time camo paint then more drying works real good for me will try to post picture at later time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts