Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought i would show how i open a turtle.i know you can cook in its shell and then crack it open.but i like to fillet the meat out.i was shown a different way to get in them and it was to hard for me.the large fillet knife opens them up real easy.the meat smell reminds me of the sea side.snappers are tough but 10 minutes in a pressure cooker cures that.hope this helps out someone.

cleaned meat in the bowl

garlic and onions go with anything

·
Registered
381 Posts
I got tons of snappers on my land. One of them is a real monster. Im gonna try cooking one up this spring. An Indian friend at work was telling me their eggs are also pretty tasty.

·
Renegade *******
228 Posts
Turtles are my favorite, like cat fish the bigger/older they are the more game like they taste. I like to sear them and then bake at 325 for 1.5 hours a whole mess.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,562 Posts
Cajun Turtle Soup

• 1/4 cup salt
• 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen turtle meat
• 6 cups beef stock
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 pinch thyme
• 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 3 tablespoons tomato purée
• 1/2 cup celery, chopped
• 1 cup green onions, chopped
• 1/2 cup yellow onions, chopped
• 2 lemons, halved
• 2 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
• 2 tablespoons roux
• Salt and white pepper to taste

Combine eight quarts of water and half the salt in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Place the turtle meat in and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove pot from heat, drain the meat, and chop in a food processor. Keep warm until needed.

Place the beef stock, garlic, bay leaves, cayenne pepper and thyme in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the tomato purée, vegetables, and lemons, and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the turtle meat back to the beef stock and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Thicken by adding small amounts of the roux.

Serves about six people.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Turtle is pretty tastey. The "seven meat" food. I have only cooked them in the shell over a grill or in a fire though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts