Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Army
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm old. I have old messed up eyes. I love old military surplus bolt guns, but I hate their stupid sights. I like red dot sights. Mount the gun, and boom, your brain does all the work for you. I looked, and looked at all the different picatinny rails, scout scope mounts and such you can get for these old war horses, but they all have one thing in common... they sit too high for my liking. I decided I was going to try my hand at some gunsmithing. I took the pin out of the sight on an old M44 Mosin, and got to work on a piece of old picatinny rail with the dremel tool. Well I did manage to get it the correct width, and it did fit in the sight base with the pin, but then I discovered something. I was never gonna be able to get the base leveled off enough to get it to sit right without a proper mill. Off to my gunsmith I go with my idea. Well, turns out the rear sight base itself, is just about the correct width to mount one of my favorite little red dot sights... the Sig Romeo 5. I had him mill the sight base flat, with a cross slot for the screw. Then he cut grooves in the sides for the claws to grab onto. Now I have a red dot that mounts very low, and in a perfect spot. Looks right at home too with the original wood. He did the M44 Mosin, and a 1916 Spanish Mauser for me. Picked them up tonight, and it's dark, so you just get "gun on the floor" photos, but you get the idea.

The sight base on the Mosin. Both are done the same.

The zombie guns...

Neither gun is "ruined" either. A replacement rear sight base, and they're good as new.

·
Retired Army
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a really slick setup! If I had a milsurp bolt gun I'd do the same thing.
They are all over gun shows. I got the Mauser cheep because it was "broken", and wouldn't go on safe.

The bolt was put back together wrong. Gotta have it on safe when you take it apart, and put it back together. Could have been sitting like that for 50 years for all I know, but it works now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like that very much. Nice job and I'd consider it a definite upgrade. A rifle you cant see the sights on is of no use at all, no matter how classic or pretty it may be. Need to show this one to my pops lol.

·
Retired Army
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the Spanish Mauser to the range today. I noticed two things.

1. I had to come down quite a bit to get on paper. Gunsmith may not have milled that rear sight base off exactly even with the bore...

2. An old M16A2 zero 25M target, just looks like a white piece of paper at 50 yds...

But it works. A 100 year old bolt gun, and a modern red dot sight can work together., even with a fat old half blind cripple shooting it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts