Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What, me worry?
2,621 Posts
Cool! A little late for me, but definitely saving it.

Is that you?

Reactions: Vectorwoman

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some still on the vine, so I'll give it a try.
I do too.We have gotten a couple of light frost the last couple of days. So far; it hasn't affected the tomatoes, but the cucumbers took it hard.

When It gets too cold to leave the tomatoes outside; I bring them all in (even the green ones) Then most of them ripen in which I make more sauce for weeks after I bring them in.

When my tomatoes were not producing so well I bought a big box of tomatoes from a Mennonite produce stand for around 14 bucks. It make 20 quarts of sauce and 10 pints of pizza sauce.

I will probably go there within the next few days and see if they have some even cheaper now that the frosts are starting.

To make my pizza sauce; I add a little more spices, sugar and tomato paste and cook it down more to thicken it.

I use to (until this year), skin my tomatoes by boiling for a minute, letting them cool a bit then remove the skins.

Then I watched a cooking show, (Pati's Mexican table on the Create channel) She was making sauce from tomatoes and threw her tomatoes in a food processor whole. She didn't even core hers or cut the little brown part on the top off. I do core mine.

I was amazed and thrilled. it takes a lot of work to skin 14 quarts or more of tomatoes.

So I started doing that this year and though the sauce is not the same texture and not as smooth, it seems to taste even better. That trick has made processing soooo much easier. :)

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't expect a sauce w/ the same texture and thickness of Ragu brand store bought sauce. This is chunkier. I think that makes it better.

The longer you cook it the thicker it gets. I do not cook mine for hours like some people do. I can't afford the fuel it would take for that being as I can around 14 quarts or more a week sometimes.

We love the results though.

The difference in taste between sauce made from fresh tomatoes and store bought sauce can be compared to canned corn from the store and fresh corn on the cob.

The taste is awesome.

It feels so good to sit down and eat something that you grew from a baby, processed, and then canned. :)

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't be afraid to add what looks like a huge amount of onions, peppers, spices and such. It takes more than you would think especially making 14 quarts. The batch in the video made 14 quarts.

It takes a lot of salt to taste right. Just do a lot of tasting and adding till you get it just right. :)

Sugar is added because sugar removes bitterness from the herbs, w/o making the sauce noticeably sweet.

I mentioned in the video that one of the herbs I use is Plantain. (I do not know if I pronounced it correctly. Heck I don't even pronounce boil correctly, most of the time.LOL)

Anyhoo; I can't tell that it adds any taste to the sauce but it is very good for you. It can be found on most lawns in the US and considered a weed by most.

Plantain is good for coughs and colds. This tea is especially beneficial for week lungs. It is an excellent remedy for cleansing and removing toxins from your blood, and has a positive effect on chronic inflammation of the colon.

This is what it looks like.

I harvest the leaves, wash them, dehydrated them. Then crunch them up into a container. Then it looks like store bought parsley.

A quick and easy way to dehydrate a small amount of a leafy herbs, is to put it in a microwave. It only takes a few minutes to do it that way.

Here is some info on plantain.

·
What, me worry?
2,621 Posts
Plankton in pasta sauce?

That is a lot of head-space, more than one inch. But I can understand why you do not want it to boil over. Aside from the mess inside the canner, it can cause a seal to fail.

Reactions: Vectorwoman

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plankton in pasta sauce?

That is a lot of head-space, more than one inch. But I can understand why you do not want it to boil over. Aside from the mess inside the canner, it can cause a seal to fail.
Yep, Plantain in Pasta sauce. The herb that grows in your lawn, not the Mexican bananas. LOL I don't know if I pronounce it right :p

It really does not add any flavor that I can tell but has some really good health benefits.

Yes. It is a lot of head space. I learned the hard way and maybe over do it, but 1 jar makes plenty for Alan and I so...

:)

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Yes the kitchen is tiny. I have a bedroom next to the kitchen that has been made into a large pantry to hold all my kitchen stuff including a granite top island that use to be my parent's; and another stove (electric) that hopefully will be hooked up soon.

I wish I was married to Alan when he built this cabin.I would have designed that kitchen whole lot differently.

It works though. I have done a whole lot of cooking and canning in that tiny kitchen.

I bought those canisters at a 2nd hand store. I love them. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts