Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bake bread 2 or 3 times per week. I have about 5 favorite bread recipes and baking methods.

Anyway, some days I'll bake 3 or 4 loaves at once. How do you store bread to keep a few days. Around my house, it won't sit around without being eaten for more than a week or so. :) But, I am asking how to store it so that it remains freshest.

When I store in a plastic bag, even if it is stone cold, sometimes it still creates fog inside the bag. I don't want to store it just on the counter in the open, I don't want bugs crawling on it.

How do you store bread to remain fresh for the longest? Or what do you store bread in?

·
Homesteader / Workershare
1,660 Posts
I just sewed up some cotton fabric draw string bags for mine. It's not meant to keep it fresher but keep it bug free, crusty (they will soften in plastic) and clean looking on the counter. If you eat it that fast I wouldnt' think freshness would be a big problem. I bake one loaf a week that lasts me through the week. At the end of the week it just gets toasted if I used commercial flower. If I used fresh ground wheat it is usually still moist by that point.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I store mine in a bread box, but if you bake that many loaves at once have you considered freezing it? It'll stay fresher longer if you do that, but then there's the defrost time. I bake one loaf at a time a couple times a week to keep bread on hand, but then I'm using a bread machine, not making it by hand because I just don't have that kind of time available.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,135 Posts
I have the same problem. In my dry climate, bread left out soon dries out. But if I put it in a plastic bag, the humidity inside the bag turns the crust soggy. Years back I used to find specialty bags meant for storing veggies in the crisper. They had a zillion tiny holes in the bag. These worked well for bread, but were too small for an entire loaf. I don't see them in the stores anymore anyway. Maybe poking a bunch of small holes in a plastic bag would have the same effect on moderating the humidity inside the bag. I haven't tried it.

Wyldflwr is right about freezing. That'll keep bread in good shape. I wish I had enough freezer space to dedicate to that.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I have the same problem. In my dry climate, bread left out soon dries out. But if I put it in a plastic bag, the humidity inside the bag turns the crust soggy. Years back I used to find specialty bags meant for storing veggies in the crisper. They had a zillion tiny holes in the bag. These worked well for bread, but were too small for an entire loaf. I don't see them in the stores anymore anyway. Maybe poking a bunch of small holes in a plastic bag would have the same effect on moderating the humidity inside the bag. I haven't tried it.

Wyldflwr is right about freezing. That'll keep bread in good shape. I wish I had enough freezer space to dedicate to that.
I got some bags like that at the Dollar Tree a few weeks ago.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
I bake bread 2 or 3 times per week. I have about 5 favorite bread recipes and baking methods.

Anyway, some days I'll bake 3 or 4 loaves at once. How do you store bread to keep a few days. Around my house, it won't sit around without being eaten for more than a week or so. :) But, I am asking how to store it so that it remains freshest.

When I store in a plastic bag, even if it is stone cold, sometimes it still creates fog inside the bag. I don't want to store it just on the counter in the open, I don't want bugs crawling on it.

How do you store bread to remain fresh for the longest? Or what do you store bread in?
Baking bread 2 or 3 times a week means it only needs to last for 2 - 3 days.

If you put ascorbic acid (vitamin c) in bread it is fresh for another day...

Otherwise home-made bread is different on day 2 than it is on day 1 and you just cut your slices thinner. I really enjoy 2 day old bread cut as very thin toast with thin slices of cheese put on it.

Storage - I have always left it covered with a tea-towel in the pantry. I am sure you could buy a bread bin.

If you wish to store for more than 3 days freeze it on the day you bake it.

Bread goes stale however, the closer it gets to freezing point. it will stale as fast in the refrigerator in one day as it would stale in five on the bench - so don't refrigerate.

Weird but true. Either freeze it or leave it at room temperature. It stores in the freezer for weeks and weeks without staling further. About a month is probably my limit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This all seems strange to me. I bake 2 loaves of whole wheat (100%) bread at a time. Let them cool and then freeze one. They are good for a week without getting moldy. They may get a little dry, but they are still VERY edible (as a matter of fact, I ate the last 2 pieces this afternoon with peanut butter from a loaf that was out of the freezer for 6 days). I need to go grind wheat and bake 2 more now as a matter of fact.

Something seems different, and I certainly don't use any preservatives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts