Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I saw a couple videos where someone used a similar method and the only way they could get it to work well was to boil the seawater down so it was about 10% salt. Once they had the lye and bleach they also made lime from burning sea shells.

After that they were able to do a lot of interesting things by mixing the lye, lime, bleach, and salt to make a lot of useful products, glues, and cement and plaster are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Bleach on the average is 3-6%

Buy a can of "Pool Blast" which is a powder you mix with water. You can make any percentage yo wish. There is no expire date either.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,734 Posts

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Storing it is difficult to do. It tends to eat up anything nearby.
Sunny Beaches! I just puled the container down form where its been for 12 years. The plastic jug is split, and the entire area of preps smells like clorox.

I have some glass jars with sir tight lids. Thanks for the warning

·
Registered
427 Posts
I found something a lot easier. Never tried them before. But I got some anyway. Just 6.50 so I thought i'd give them a try. 1 tablet to a gallon of water so in essence you have 32 gallons. Not bad for 6.50. Just hope it works like it's supposed to.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolve-Bleac...754473&sprefix=bleach+tablets,aps,211&sr=8-12
These look great! I wonder what the shelf life is for the tablets. That’s a lot of bleach for the money in a small container.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
These look great! I wonder what the shelf life is for the tablets. That’s a lot of bleach for the money in a small container.
The seller says one complete bottle is equal to a gallon of bleach then later says 21 tablets. The gallons on the instructions are a suitable strength for mopping and etc.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Storing it is difficult to do. It tends to eat up anything nearby.
Sunny Beaches! I just puled the container down form where its been for 12 years. The plastic jug is split, and the entire area of preps smells like clorox.

I have some glass jars with sir tight lids. Thanks for the warning
Storing concentrated powdered bleach is a awful prep that needs go away. It outgasses and eats everything. I know this from experience. It's not worth storing because of its effects and risks. In a world of "paranoid" survivalist this prep doesn't make sense.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
The powder is now in safe glassed air tight glass jars.

Bleach degrades over time. The power, when kept dry does not.

You keep your 3% household beach for a year and its not 1%

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It will eat the rubber shortly and outgas everything around it. I tried two ways of storing it and both failed. I actually forgot about this prep and found it when I realized my garage wall locker was rusting.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
I cleaned everything, moved them to a warm dry place, and will monitor the seals.
I have some vulcanized rubber made seals. It will take a NY minute to eat though.
Besides the powder level is inches below the seal.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If it makes you feel better I had them two bagged into gallon Mason jars. It ate through within two years. Had it double wrapped in a cooler wrapped with duck tape and it made a hole through the cooler when I found it five years later. Sorry it's one of those preps I have actual experience with.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I had some near a rim for my classic T120 Triumph motorcycle and it ate the lid off the container and the vapors took the chrome off the rim.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
That crap is so far away from the Harley.
Have to check preps all the time, just added those jugs to the list

1 - 18 of 18 Posts