Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Survival Actual
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just one easy way to make a survival fishing rod in a pinch.
Build time: 5-10 Minutes

For this example i used a very short stick so i could fit the whole thing in the picture.
I would recommend something 4-5 feet.

List of supplies used:

Multi tool
Metal coat hanger
Duct tape
2 hose clamps
Shimano Wonder reel (or any other micro reel)
Straight Stick (freshly cut, 4-5 feet long)​

BUILD IT.....

1) Cut a length of wire from the coat hanger to make the rod tip. I used one of the bottom corners of the coat hanger since it was pretty much already bent into the shape i needed.

2) Bend the wire piece into a tight loop and tape it onto the end of the stick as tight as you can get it.

3) Attach the reel to the bottom of the stick using the hose clamps. In my example, i had hose clamps that were too big, so i made the stick wider by wrapping duct tape around it until it was thicker. This also makes for a nice comfortable handle and prevents the reel from slipping.

4) Align the reel with the loop best you can, and tighten the hose clamps to secure it. Reel should be on the same side of the stick as the loop.

That's it. Now you have a decent way to catch fish short of tying a string to a stick.

For BOB carry, all you will need is a multi tool, micro reel, hose clamps, duct tape, and a pre-formed tip you can make in advance. Then just add some hooks, lures, and bobbers, or whatever works best in your area.

I hope this helps. Thank You for reading.

·
Farmer of Men
674 Posts
I saw this done with thinner wire replacing the duct tape, which I guess is good as it's reusable. But I like yours better cuz I like duct tape. Faster and easier.

Mac

·
Registered
300 Posts
I like the idea, but a reel duct taped to a stick is still a stick. If you're going to have a reel you might as well have the rod to - Check out the Emmrod. I have three and they work great, fit in the BOB and breakdown backpack size for easy transport. Got them all on Ebay, if you wait for deals you can find them for @$30.00.

http://www.emmrod.com/

Attachments

·
Survival Actual
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the idea, but a reel duct taped to a stick is still a stick. If you're going to have a reel you might as well have the rod to - Check out the Emmrod. I have three and they work great, fit in the BOB and breakdown backpack size for easy transport. Got them all on Ebay, if you wait for deals you can find them for @$30.00.

http://www.emmrod.com/
The reel is not taped to the stick. It's clamped on. I don't have room for a 2 foot fishing rod in my bob, but i do have room for the items i used to make the emergency fishing rod above, which pack up nicely into a small plastic bag.

That emmrod looks like a cool little setup for camping or hiking trips though.

·
Spectre
595 Posts
Here's an idea just throwing it out there. Ive seen some small one man tents that I would use in my BOB if I could afford it :(
But anyways the tent comes with a section of collapsible pole that could be used as a decent lightweight rod. Of course your still going to have to duct tape the joints. I myself wouldn't bother with a reel in my kit. I would focus on building a long dip pole and target smaller fish. And build limb lines and target gar/alligator/catfish/turtles etc.. with the remains from supper. I also added a rock cod rig to my BOB which resembles a trot line. I figure the more time you can spend foraging/building shelter/ fire etc.. is worth it. That is letting the lines soak while you work or sleep. I mean no offense to you and I really like the rig you built. You may want to add another guide or two to avoid the line rubbing on the stick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i made one like a cane pole. 5-6 foot long stick, freshly cut, and with fishing line tied several times to the end. add a hook and a weight to the end and a cork. Ready made survival pole. took me 5 minutes to make. i have 2 now, with one more soon to be made.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just have some black trot line, some hooks and some cloth to tie a rock in. All I have to do is throw it in the water, tie the heavy line to either a root or something else on the bank , so I can get my camp, hunt for other food and such. Let the fish do the work and I'll reap the harvest.

·
Survivalist
260 Posts
Couldn't you also make more guides using the coat hanger? i'd hate to see the coat hanger go to waste in a survival situation. Epescially if you have all that duct tape to make a handle like that it would be better put to use taping more guides.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
This is just one easy way to make a survival fishing rod in a pinch.
Build time: 5-10 Minutes

For this example i used a very short stick so i could fit the whole thing in the picture.
I would recommend something 4-5 feet.

List of supplies used:
Multi tool
Metal coat hanger
Duct tape
2 hose clamps
Shimano Wonder reel (or any other micro reel)
Straight Stick (freshly cut, 4-5 feet long)

BUILD IT.....

1) Cut a length of wire from the coat hanger to make the rod tip. I used one of the bottom corners of the coat hanger since it was pretty much already bent into the shape i needed.

2) Bend the wire piece into a tight loop and tape it onto the end of the stick as tight as you can get it.

3) Attach the reel to the bottom of the stick using the hose clamps. In my example, i had hose clamps that were too big, so i made the stick wider by wrapping duct tape around it until it was thicker. This also makes for a nice comfortable handle and prevents the reel from slipping.

4) Align the reel with the loop best you can, and tighten the hose clamps to secure it. Reel should be on the same side of the stick as the loop.

That's it. Now you have a decent way to catch fish short of tying a string to a stick.

For BOB carry, all you will need is a multi tool, micro reel, hose clamps, duct tape, and a pre-formed tip you can make in advance. Then just add some hooks, lures, and bobbers, or whatever works best in your area.

I hope this helps. Thank You for reading.

:eek: :wow: yours is HIGH tech

here is mine, anything more is fancy dancy (lol)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts