Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Emergency Kits
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have read a lot about buying and preparing 72 hour kits. I am very much aware of the importance of having a portable and well-equipped 72 hour kit with me. However, I am a bit confused about the items that should essentially go into building an emergency kit. The more I read about it, the more confused I get. While some websites explain the 3 bare minimum to have is food, water and medicines some other focus more on food, water, clothes and toiletries. For me all of them seem to have equal significance. When I think of medicines, I feel unhygienic toilet conditions can cause havoc during emergencies and vice versa. Can anyone suggest me a list of minimum essentials that I can include in a 72 hour kits without making it too bulky?

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
This website will confuse you just as bad lol. There are tons of ideas regarding BOBs and 72hrs kits and everybody thinks there way is the only way. Now if youre setting up a strictly 72hr kit you dont need hardly any food. I mean you can go 3 days without much food. No problem. All you really need is 3 or 4 clif bars. A few bottles of water would be just fine. A set of spare clothing. Maybe a blacket or small sleeping bag. Tolietries. Basically look at all the things you use over the course of 3 days. Then put them in a backpack. Poof! 72hr kit. Just add 5 $10 bills and youd be set.

Like i said most of the advice youll get on here are from guys planning on living much longer then 72hrs out of there bag. So theyre going to say pack GUNS and AMMO and AXES and BIG KNIVES. lol. but for a 72hr kit. you dont need that crap.

Bottom line is you know better then us what you need to get you through 3 days. If not spend the next three days writing down what you use. Like "I took a crap today. Maybe i should include some TP in my 72hr kit."

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just to add to what has been said above, maybe go out camping for three days with a load of stuff, much more than you would ever need in a 72h kit and just see what you use.
Basic list is some form of shelter, clothing, some food/means to catch food, money, fire starting equipment, some water and a basic first aid kit. This is by no means comprehensive, just a start :).

I think many people put too much emphasis on carrying weapons, I can think of few scenarios where they would actually be useful - especially as someone living in the UK!! Though this is obviously very location orientated.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
Mine is not a 72 hr per se, but a GH/RIP bag....With this, i can manage several days in one location and/or a trek home....

Fully loaded, including 3 litres of h2o, comes in at 26lbs....Has everything i need for my area and expected situations...

Yes, I have "survived," with less for 7 days before while in the service, but why suffer if i don't have to...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Depends on if your idea of bugging out is to go to another place that has a dwelling and utilities or bugging out to total wilderness. In event of an evacuation on a regional level, you would likely just go to another location that is still functional. In total meltdown and chaos bug out situation, you will have to figure on surviving under a tree or in a field. Just think of what you would need on a simplistic level if you walked out into the woods and had to live on what you carried with you. Water, shelter, food, protection. You can wipe your butt with leaves or your hand but safe drinking water is hard to find. Less toilet paper and more water filtration.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
Depends on if your idea of bugging out is to go to another place that has a dwelling and utilities or bugging out to total wilderness. In event of an evacuation on a regional level, you would likely just go to another location that is still functional. In total meltdown and chaos bug out situation, you will have to figure on surviving under a tree or in a field. Just think of what you would need on a simplistic level if you walked out into the woods and had to live on what you carried with you. Water, shelter, food, protection. You can wipe your butt with leaves or your hand but safe drinking water is hard to find. Less toilet paper and more water filtration.
From the tone of his post he's just going to grab his bad and go to his parents house or a motel not become mad max or survivorman.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It all depends on your area of the country and what disaster you might have to go through. For me in Okieland I worry about my house getting destroyed by a tornado and having to stay at a relatives house for a few days. even if my cars were destroyed I could call my sister up (1 hour away) and have her drive me to her house. so I pack for those scenarios.

The people who are planning for the apocalypse are preparing to get to their BOL and need a different set of tools.

Pick your reason for the 72 hour bag, then pack for the things you think you would need for that.

Do you have a BOL that is stocked for the end of the earth?
Do you have a relatives house that you would go to?
Do you have good enough insurance that they would just get you a hotel?
Do you think an EMP is months away from destroying civilization?

That is why there are so many different ideas.

p.s. I have always like Psyop soldier photos of his BOB, I have looked at his photos many times since I started building mine. I try to model mine after his.

·
Stay the Course
471 Posts
I bulit my BOB to get me home. There I have a bigger bug out bag, my family, and more weapons.
MY bug out bag is just designed to get me home in any event. No matter where I am I'm no more than a day or twos walk home so you just need to look at what you want it for.

21,494 Posts
I have a hybrid 72 hour thingy.
water and shelter are my priorities. But for me this consists of bottles of store bought water and a tarp (Hoochie).
I consider shelter as protection from the environment. So If it gets cold shelter is warm clothing.(Thermals or compression gear packs away the smallest). If it is hot and sunny shelter is sunscreen and a hat. My compression gear is also sun protection.

But each persons bag is different. For me one of my priorities is light. If I am stumbling around in the dark I will step on something that does not want to be stepped on and there will be issues. I live in a tropical area and Hygene is important for me as well including cut management.

I do carry a hatchet that I could do away with. I could get away with one knife in a 72 hour kit. With mabye a razor blade as a backup.

for my kit everything had to do more than one job and I constantly swich stuff in and out

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm beginning to understand that when putting a bag together it comes down to a few things.
1. where you live.
2. where you're going.
3. What you'll need to get there.
Being a New Hampshire resident. I plan on heading north before the plague of locusts from Mass get here.

21,494 Posts
I'm beginning to understand that when putting a bag together it comes down to a few things.
1. where you live.
2. where you're going.
3. What you'll need to get there.
Being a New Hampshire resident. I plan on heading north before the plague of locusts from Mass get here.
religious locust are the worst.
But yes you address your threats.
Even urban and rural have different risks. Even thinking of things like dust masks 911 style

·
Registered
479 Posts
Following Excel spreadsheet might give you a better idea as to what you "Could" put in your GHB or larger BOB...just depends on your needs for your location...(I.E. - East coast, West coast, North, South, Hot climate, Cold climate...etc...etc)

The spreadsheet is generic in the sense that you can track up to 5 BOB's at a time... as you are making them up. This is a BOB I'm finishing up on for my older sister...:xeye:

If you see an item of interest just do a Google search on the item (Example - ROTH-2330 bag) and more than likely it will take you to a site that is selling that item...or insert your own items...etc...etc

P.S. - If you guys/gals would like to download the Excel spreadsheet and change it to suit your needs...please do so...every little bit helps...hard enough to build up 1 BOB...even more so if building up 5 BOB's and trying to keep track of what's what...

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bottom line is you know better then us what you need to get you through 3 days. If not spend the next three days writing down what you use. Like "I took a crap today. Maybe i should include some TP in my 72hr kit."
It's very important to make dry runs with your kits to see what's missing or what changes need to be made. As someone else said, go camping for 3 days with your BOB and see what it's lacking or what it doesn't need.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
This website will confuse you just as bad lol. There are tons of ideas regarding BOBs and 72hrs kits and everybody thinks there way is the only way
er then us what you need to get you through 3 days. If not spend the next three days writing down what you use. Like "I took a crap today. Maybe i should include some TP in my 72hr kit."
A very level headed response. I second what urban said.

Except.....Ya gotta have at least one big knife. I mean seriously.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
I bulit my BOB to get me home. There I have a bigger bug out bag, my family, and more weapons.
MY bug out bag is just designed to get me home in any event. No matter where I am I'm no more than a day or twos walk home so you just need to look at what you want it for.
That is a GHB. Get Home Bag.

I live 18 miles from home. The route is all country, woods and rivers. But there are numerous houses, 4 gas stations and a BBQ place along the route.

My GHB consists of, comfortable hiking shoes, a couple days food, and basic camping gear. Also there are various items in my truck that would be added to the GHB, like a rain jacket and a pistol.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
With a family - it is hard to put 72 hours in one bag. Here is what I have done
I have a car bag in each car all the time. If we bug out, I'll put them all in our BOV.
I can also grab a few other pre packed bags as needed -- TAC, MRE's, Camp.

Car Bag - one in each care with;
- Clean Shirt, Socks & Skivvies (+two full sets of clothes for toddler)
- Basic Toiletries and wife through in old makeup kit.
- One set of Plasticware and Napkins.
- Maybe $30 in cash and coin.
This bag certainly will not handle TEOTWAWKI, but it will provide the basic overnight/picnic for an unplanned outing.

Tactical Bag - Yup. We each carry / this bag simply has an extra one and more ammo. We also have some cash and needed documents. We want to add an IRONKEY encrypted thumb drive and portable hard drive with documents and pictures. Anything else of high value would also go in here.

MRE Boxs - 24 MRE's Should last us a week - and will me easier to eat of above plastic plates.

We are just starting hour 72 Hour Bag(s) also.
My next bags would be;

Camp Bag - with a full set of long clothing and sleeping bags.
Tool Bag - in each car.
Ruck Sack with camping/survival gear
Jogging Stroller

Don't know for sure how I will do up these other bags.

There is a BOB index of past threads. I'll try and post a link.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Here is a basic list that you can use when brainstorming ideas of things to put in your Emergency Kit. Just as everyone else has said, it's important to keep your particular situation in mind and plan on doing some customization to meet your needs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This website will confuse you just as bad lol. There are tons of ideas regarding BOBs and 72hrs kits and everybody thinks there way is the only way. Now if youre setting up a strictly 72hr kit you dont need hardly any food. I mean you can go 3 days without much food. No problem. All you really need is 3 or 4 clif bars. A few bottles of water would be just fine. A set of spare clothing. Maybe a blacket or small sleeping bag. Tolietries. Basically look at all the things you use over the course of 3 days. Then put them in a backpack. Poof! 72hr kit. Just add 5 $10 bills and youd be set.

Like i said most of the advice youll get on here are from guys planning on living much longer then 72hrs out of there bag. So theyre going to say pack GUNS and AMMO and AXES and BIG KNIVES. lol. but for a 72hr kit. you dont need that crap.

+1

A person is more likely to spend a few days in a relatives house due to a natural disater than they are hiding in the woods from FEMA death squads, so they should plan accordingly.

The only thing I can add to this post is to suggest more cash in the BOB if a person can afford it. I personally would keep up to $500 to be on the safe side. I base that amount on my sisters experience after Katrina. She wasn't in the direct path of Katrina but it was bad enough that she didn't have electricity for weeks and didn't have access to her bank accounts for almost 2 weeks. They came close to running out of cash before things got back to somewhat normal so after that she started keeping more cash at home.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts