Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first got the idea/info from allergyfree thanks for the great info

to all the potters out there
heres a little video on how to make a ceramic filter to do most of the filtering. you can put a layer of both zeolite and activated carbon underneath the clay pot to finish pulling out environmental toxins. use homemade colloidal silver to kill all single cell microorganisms

http://en.howtopedia.org/wiki/How_to_Make_the_Sri_Lankan_Clay_Water_Filter

mix clay with sawdust or something similar. when kilned it created the micro-pores that do most the filtration of larger particles
press/form the pot
let it dry and kiln
submerge in homemade/bought colloidal silver for 45+ seconds

looks pretty simple

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Could you make an estimate of how many microns this would be comparable to? Like 3, or .3, or .03?

Thanks for posting that! Its going into the notebook.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would say go for something smaller than sawdust. In the howtopedia article, it says the rice husks are ground with a hammer mill and/or grinder, meaning the particles are likely going to be smaller than what you would get with just sawdust. maybe take the winnowed chaff from wheat and run it through grinder a few times to get a near flour consistency?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Doulton made their first water filters 100-200 years ago, so this is not a new technology. There are several charitable agencies that set up water filter factories in Africa. They basically produce large flower pots that are sufficiently porous to strain out bacteria. The problem is quality control. Folks like Monolithic Filters and Berkeley produce the same quality level filter after filter. Homemade filters would be more hit and miss.

But it would be a great skill to develop if you are a potter! I'd buy one from you provided that you drank from the first filtration cycle before I did!

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Seein' as me and de brudder have a ceramic kiln, I think I'll be trying my hand at this one. As of now, I'm running a two-stage system at the farm on the well water. Fast sand filter gets the crawlies that make it through the strainer, slow sand filter gets the little microscopic wrigglers, and then, for the steam feedstock and my cooking (I don't go there for the livestock, they don't mind a little lime in their diets) I use the solar pup tent still. Adding the ceramic filter to the process would give me clean cooking water, and a way to produce a saleable product ( like ax heads ) in the event I need to build my own trade goods on down the line. Neat video. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts