Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have messed with making stuff from corn meal and regrinding it into finer flour before. Generally it was not very good.

We have brought maze flour and used that to make our own corn chips, which came out pretty good.

To do more stuff like that with corn, and to avoid getting pellegra [common disease from eating unprocessed corn]; you need to lime the corn first.

Here I found a blog talking about liming corn using wood ash :)

Enjoy:

http://homegrown.org/blog/2011/08/living-homegrown-growing-corn-for-tortillas/

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
To do more stuff like that with corn, and to avoid getting pellegra [common disease from eating unprocessed corn]; you need to lime the corn first.
]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra

Forest is right in his statement that corn can be made more nutritious by liming.

But Pelegra is a vitamin deficiency, not a disease.

In reality corn is a nutritious food, eaten mainly for its carbohydrates.

The controversy on corn goes back to a famous experiment by Dr. Joseph Goldberger back in 1914, at the The Spartanburg Pellagra Hospital in Spartanburg, South Carolina. In this experiment the doctor fed a group of people a diet consisting of nothing but corn. And the people got sick. Not really surprising knowing what we know of dietary needs today. Something similar would happen no matter what single food item you fed those people. No single food item contains all the nutrients we need to maintain health.

The "illness" the people in Dr. Goldberger’s experiments developed is called pellagra. It is caused by a deficiency of niacin, also know as vitamin B3. Corn is very low in this nutrient.

If corn is a cause of pellegra then whole wheat is more so as it is lower in B3 than corn.

Corn................B3 Per Cup cooked..........%RDA per cup cooked
niacin - B3..............2.64 mg....................13.20

Whole wheat

niacin - B3..............1.82 mg.....................9.1

Sorry for the rant Forest, but the perception in some circles that corn is a bad food or non-nutritious is a pet peeve of mine.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
I've done it using the lye method and in fact have lye stored just for that purpose and for soap making. But it's far too labor and fuel intensive for what little you gain. So I've written it off. I'll get my niacin elsewhere. It's not a hard nutrient to get. Deficiencies were only common in corn based diets that had very little variety.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I've done it using the lye method and in fact have lye stored just for that purpose and for soap making. But it's far too labor and fuel intensive for what little you gain. So I've written it off. I'll get my niacin elsewhere. It's not a hard nutrient to get. Deficiencies were only common in corn based diets that had very little variety.
To be honest, If you're burning fuel directly to make masa, you are correct. If you have a fire going anyway putting another pot on the stove is not a waste of energy. So if you're canning on a wood stove or over an open fire putting a pot of limed corn on just makes your canning day, smoking, food prep or room heater that much more efficient.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts