Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there. As I get the time, I will try and do a pic. set-up on installing solar and also, my raised bed gardens I am in the process of building and also my roof water colection system to water the garden. Stay tuned for future episodes.. Remember, this is my wind, and solar and I live on it.

·
Texas chooses people.
2,379 Posts
Nice. But a question or two. Why didn't you lay your conduit first, and pull the wire through it via a pull cord? When the genny turns with the wind, how is this controlled, something we fab or something that comes with the genny?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Texas Fire. It is easier especially on long runs , which this one is about 145' from my solar building, to lay the wire out, harness it about every 10' with tape and then slip the conduit over the wire. Much easier to do then trying to pull it all at once through the pipe. I also use a couple of sizes bigger in the conduit then nec. as it also makes it easier to do. The one inch plastic conduit only costs about $2.00 for a 10' length, so is actually pretty cheap to work with.

As far as the wire to the gen. head not twisting, you must use a slip ring. Some come with them built in and some you buy the slip ring extra. You need to buy the one that is ample for your current. I will take more pictures when I put up my second generator.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
If you would like to see how I just installed my first wind generator , go to this page, and get a gander !

http://www.arizonapetrifiedwood.com/buildingatower.html
Much appreciated.

I've been thinking of doing one but my real concern, especially after reading your excellent source page, is lightening.

We have electrical storms here, of one sort or the other, nearly ever evening in the summer. And living below the fall line in what is basically beach sand makes grounding very difficult.

As I read about your tower being made of iron and with the guide wires and all, I'm wondering if it wouldn't end up being nothing more than a big lightening rod in my area? I live on a hill plus I would have to get it above the 40' foot mark yours seems to be comfortable at because of our lob-lolly long needle pines around here. Plus grounding the thing, I'd probably have to drive my grounding rod as deep as the tower is high and have water trickling at the spot to feel secure about grounding it properly at that height.

Also, does the FAA give you any problems in your area or do they have any height restrictions?

Just wondering if you have any recommendations, any solutions or ideas, that you might offer for those of us living below the fall line along the coastal regions of the country?

I want to add wind to my solar and hydro but I have just not figured out a way to do it quite yet while overcoming the obstacles I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for any direction that you, or anyone else for that matter, might provide. :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gallo. Not sure where you live , but here in n.e.az. we have more lightning then most places, and have seen it hit trees around me several times. My home owners should cover it should I take a hit. My solar panels are out there for lighting to hit also, but since I live totally off the grid anyway, the need is great. Planes flying at only about 40' are ususally landing, taking off or crashing. Not much you could do about this other then post a smiley face saying "smile if you can read this , as your about to hit my trees". Just jokeing. Grounding. hmmm. I would think that you could take an 8' ground rod and bury it about a foot down rather then endwise. Grounding rods are designed to take the charge and "spread" it out into the ground. Not sure about this, but have heard of it being done here and there.

If lighting should strike your wind gen and tower, imagine about 5 trillion volts of elec. and you could get the melted tower and windgenerator syndrome no matter weather you have a ground rod or not. Would make for a great picture though ! May have also saved your house from what could have been a strike to in instead. Houses don't melt, they usually burn. If you live on the windy area of the coast, the wind gen. that I am using right now is designed for that more then anywhere else. It is a "high wind" designed system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts