Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went by my local vitamin/natural foods store today and the lady at the counter was giving out this information. She had just received it today. I have not had the time to check it out at the store to see if it is accurate or not.

So, take this with a grain of salt but I did want to share it to see if anyone can verify it's accuracy or not. I'll copy it word for word so you can see what I have.

Supermarket

Not many consumers relaize that genetically modified foods do not have to be disclosed on labels. The FDA has decided that you don't care if the tomato you're eating has been crossbred with frog genes to render the tomator more resistant to cold weather. Here is how to determine if the fruits and vegetables you're buying contain (GM or GMO) genetically modified organisms.

- Conventionally grwon produce, (grown with toxic fertilizers and other chemicals) has a PLU Code on the sticker consisting of four numbers.
- Organically grown produce has a five numeral PLU prefaced by the number 9.
- Genetically engineered (GE or GMO) produce has a five numeral PLU prefaced by the number 8.

For example:
A conventionally grown banana would be: 4011
An organic banana would be: 94011
A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be: 84011
These tips are important now that over 80% of all processed foods in the US are genetically modified. Many counties in the EU have banned GE or GMO produce (including Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary and Luxembourg).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Good to know. I have to make a run to Safeway for milk tonight and I will check that out. I don't really have a problem with genetic modification in theory, it's just a more elaborate technical version of selective breeding, but I don't personally want to be eating it or feeding it to my kids.

·
Wide-Eyed and Stern
654 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Neat-o inf-o.

Not to discredit anything you said, and I'm not trying to be a ****, but if someone who WORKS there only just got that info today and didn't already know it, don't you think she might have gotten it from a internet chain mail or something? It sounds kind of fishy.

My theory does have holes though. Surely a simple stocker or clerk won't have the knowledge access and code-books that actual food-handlers have.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Recently we stopped into Whole Foods for the first time. I had just read this and was thinking about it.
Few things I notice: 1. Almost everything they sell is claiming to be Organic 2. It is all over priced! 3. ALL the produce claimed to be Organic and all had 9xxxx PLU numbers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts