Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Realist
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no better defense than not having to fight at all. And more, it is best to never even become a target to begin with.

http://martial.jessecrouch.com/2009/09/how-to-hide-in-plain-sight.html

A followup/reply to a survivalist post I read about hiding in plain sight that focused on backcountry areas. I wrote my post with a focus on urban instead.

The concept is really the same though. Blend.

·
Realist
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Grevlin
Interesting with the two sets. I've been debating recently what to pack and have come across the same issue - should I look like I'm dressed in normal clothes, or should I grab some form of multi-cam and be as prepared to blend with the woods (and even urban areas) as possible? I read another post recently that convinced me not to go camo just because of how military it seems. It could make you stand out and get you killed.

I like the idea of having both. Not sure I have the room though.

Would love to know where I can pick up some good quality Desert All Over Brush pattern stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Over_Brush

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
@Grevlin
Interesting with the two sets. I've been debating recently what to pack and have come across the same issue - should I look like I'm dressed in normal clothes, or should I grab some form of multi-cam and be as prepared to blend with the woods (and even urban areas) as possible? I read another post recently that convinced me not to go camo just because of how military it seems. It could make you stand out and get you killed.

I like the idea of having both. Not sure I have the room though.

Would love to know where I can pick up some good quality Desert All Over Brush pattern stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Over_Brush
Well my situation is bugging in as long as possible. I use the low-key stuff in my truck as a get-home gear. The serious stuff is in my house should the S fly. I'm still debating a CCW license, leaning towards yes these days.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
@Grevlin
should I look like I'm dressed in normal clothes, or should I grab some form of multi-cam and be as prepared to blend with the woods (and even urban areas) as possible?
Get a pack in Sheeple Grey and a camo rain cover.

I´m in the same predicament. I thought about getting a Maxpedition pack but I´d look like military. My 200+ pounds and shaved head doesn´t help either...

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Get a pack in Sheeple Grey and a camo rain cover.

I´m in the same predicament. I thought about getting a Maxpedition pack but I´d look like military. My 200+ pounds and shaved head doesn´t help either...
Great idea, I have a woodland camo rain poncho in my truck GHB. (works for Carolinas)

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
At least have your pack and rifle match your local dirt in case you need to stow/ditch it under a bush for a while. I like sheeple khaki with a woodland poncho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i dont understand the practicality of tactical gear in an urban enviroment, it just seems, well.......unpractical. seems as if your putting a target on your back.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I like the mailman idea for cammo, it just makes sense. Anyway, it's impossible to hide from thermal imaging systems. So I was thinking about ways to make myself look like something else on a FLIR, or something like that.

·
Ego Dominus Vos
565 Posts
I call the camo color: Sheeple Grey :D:

Dress like um...
Move like um...
Act like um...

But be better prepared then them...

I have 2 sets of gear,(bags, holsters) one that is low key/sheeple grey and the other set for full on tactical shtf/eotwawki.
Sheeple Grey ... works ... :thumb:

·
Registered
142 Posts
But what if I AM paranoid?
Anyhow, I already don't answer my door most of the time. The only time it's all that pleasant when I answer the door is when I'm expecting them anyways.

But the problem with not answering your door is that some thieves do a doorbell and knock to see if anyone's home. If no one is home, it means they have some time to try to steal things. If your vehicle is in a garage and out of sight, they may think no one is home. A vehicle in sight, the person can pass off that they were napping and didn't hear the bell (when they were actually ignoring it). Just some thoughts to bear in mind.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,007 Posts
But what if I AM paranoid?
Anyhow, I already don't answer my door most of the time. The only time it's all that pleasant when I answer the door is when I'm expecting them anyways.

But the problem with not answering your door is that some thieves do a doorbell and knock to see if anyone's home. If no one is home, it means they have some time to try to steal things. If your vehicle is in a garage and out of sight, they may think no one is home. A vehicle in sight, the person can pass off that they were napping and didn't hear the bell (when they were actually ignoring it). Just some thoughts to bear in mind.
Reply]
This is what you want, so you can lure them into your trap!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts