Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has had a couple of fruit flies in their home knows that they can multiply pretty quickly. Their small size makes then hard to see or to swat.

My wife keeps our home very clean so these little flies have really tormented her. While searching the internet I found a very easy way to kill them.
Here it is:
1. Put some wine or a small piece of cut fruit like an apple slice in a small drinking glass. I used triple sec and dropped a small glob of grape jelly.

2. Take some cling wrap and cover the glass with the cling wrap so that there is no way in or out of the glass.

3. Now poke a few small holes in the cling wrap. I used a toothpick to make holes small enough for the fruit flies to get inside. If you make the holes too big the flies will get out again, we don't want that. Now the flies will smell the bait, go into the glass through the little holes, get stuck in the glass and eventually fall into the liquid and drown.

4. Enjoy not having little bugs fly around your face and get into your food. :)

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
LOL it's so freaky that you posted this. I was just watching a re-run of MythBusters, the one where they bombarded cockroaches, fruit-flies and some other bug with 10,000 rads of radiation to see which bugs would survive SHTF Day Zero. Guess what, the fruit-flies survived, cockies died!

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
Most excellent idea, made banana bread the other night, don't know were they come from but they do like bananas.

(side note here)
I you are piffed at someone, coworker or boss a piece of banana peel taped under there rollaway or desk will bring them many little friends..... it'll drive em nuts. :D:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I think its from all the garden veggies and fruit we are all bringing into our homes as summer ends. Brought in pears and tomatoes, killed 2 fruit flies yesterday. Will try our this. Thanks for timely post.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Yes, the wine works great. I can attest to that. Been using it for years. Thanks for post!
Not talking about you...we're talking about the fruit flies:D:

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Most excellent idea, made banana bread the other night, don't know were they come from but they do like bananas.

(side note here)
I you are piffed at someone, coworker or boss a piece of banana peel taped under there rollaway or desk will bring them many little friends..... it'll drive em nuts. :D:
It's pretty amazing. These flies will seem non-existent until you eat a certain meal or open a certain container then they seem to come out of the woodwork. Bananas are probably the strongest attractant I can think of.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I first tried the vinegar and sugar in an open glass. I added a dab of dishwasher detergent to the liquid to make sure the surface tension was broken. Only two of them fell in and drowned after a day and a half. I got more than that in the first hour with the triple sec and cling wrap covered glass.

As for the flamethrower, I think my wife would liked to have used that if they plagued us much longer.

Now theres only a stray one left here and there. Much better than the swarm that came out of nowhere.

Reactions: breakneck

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Fruit flies are often drawn to places where there is moisture present to lay eggs. Drain traps, disposals etc. Keep these clean to cut down on population. Using an enzyme drain cleaner will dissolve the eggs and their food source in the drain. I put my glass of wine out for yhe fruit flie gueats today, hope it works.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
get ride of the fruit thats left out and put it in the fridge.. they seem to die in cold since what they do is lay eggs in fruit get ride of that get ride of the flys..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another idea that I happened upon by chance is leaving a bowl of cantaloupe seeds out. I was going to try and save some cantaloupe seeds a while back and I opened the melon, fed us the fleshy part for breakfast and left the scooped out seeds (and mush) in a bowl to ferment for a couple of days.

I noticed that the fruit flies that had been plaguing me liked the seeds. Then I put some dishsoap in with the seeds (and mush) and gave it a gentle stir. I left it for a few days. I couldn't believe the amount of flies that landed (and died) in that bowl!

I recently had some fruit in our house to deal with (read: can) and the fruit flies were back in full effect. I opened up the cantaloupe I had in the fridge, put the seeds (and mush) in a bowl with some dish soap, and by the time I was doing dealing with the rest of the fruit, I had six flies that were already in the bowl. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts