Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my name is Garrett im 26 and new to the forum and the preparedness lifestyle. Actually I just started last week assessing my surroundings and the possible threats that I face in my area along with starting to prepare a BOB along with a few other things. My question is, how do I go about approaching friends and neighbors about this? Anytime I have even mentioned to anyone, even close friends, what I am doing they just laugh and tell me that im paranoid and this is stupid. I know things will be better off if close ones are prepared also and we can band together in a crisis, but everyone seems to blow it off and think its a stupid paranoia and that everything is going to always be fine. Its frustrating.....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
you cannot force people to think like you do. you can show them evidence of why you think the way you do, you can answer questions and tell them why you believe what you believe, you can invite them to share your feelings, you can urge them to consider what you are saying, but ultimately it's up to them to decide to prepare or not. it might be frustrating, but you have to accept it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you cannot force people to think like you do. you can show them evidence of why you think the way you do, you can answer questions and tell them why you believe what you believe, you can invite them to share your feelings, you can urge them to consider what you are saying, but ultimately it's up to them to decide to prepare or not. it might be frustrating, but you have to accept it.
Thanks for the reply. Yea I understand people will act of there on accord, your right. Just didn't know if any of you had had any success with this. Anytime I begin to open up about it people seem to have the "it will never happen to me" mindset. Wasn't sure if any of you had come across this and if so how did you were you able to open there eyes.

·
I'll fix it
2,547 Posts
Stop talking about it immediately. Agree that it was stupid and and you have blown off the idea.
Proceed with your preps secretly untill you have substantial stocks in place and then you can carefully find like minded people.
Keep things low key with family members along the lines of simple emergency preparedness as suggested by ready.gov.
http://www.ready.gov
Fly low, prep hard.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
This is a topic that is brought up quite often on this forum and I think you will find that the above poster is right you cannot make people see something they don't want to. This is something many of us here have struggled with trying to get family and friends on board and I can tell you from personal experience it is almost impossible. It took me almost a year of outright nagging at my parents to get them to finally realize that something bad can happen. They have now begun to put away some food and they are thinking about solar or a generator for the well pump but I have to say it wasn't easy. I got the usual "you'r paranoid" or "your crazy" eyes rolling brush off from most people I knew so I just quit trying. The only exception I made was my folks and let me tell you I hammered away at them even going to the point of calling them up to tell them to watch a certain disaster show on tv every week! It finally worked after my mother watched a show about 2012 (?? of all things to work right??). It didn't matter to me what changed their minds I was just glad it did. My suggestion would be to use whatever local emergencies you have as an example as to why they should prepare that and point out even the government and FEMA is telling everyone they should have some type of emergency rations set aside. Don't let it drive you crazy though because in the end it will be up to the individual to change their mind not you, good luck to you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Another way to get them on board without directly doing the "ZOMG Zombies!!" route is point out the rising costs of...well everything. Mention that you're stocking up basics so that you have more flexibility in your budget so you can hold out for sales on the items you want/need.

Most people are less apprehensive about the economical benefits of prepping as they are to the "packin away beans and bullets and waiting for the hordes to show up" side of it.

For that just cite some local robberies/violent crimes and comment along the lines of "ya know, I've been thinking and it may be wise to keep some kind of home defense items around, to keep from becoming a victim." Folks like to empower themselves to not be a victim, but aren't always big on the Rambo aspect of owning a gun. Of course, if they do get a gun, invite them to go practice with you, even if you have to pick up their range fees a few times. It's better than letting them just let it collect dust, then not even know how to turn the safety off when they need it.

keep it low key, try to approach it from the angle of someone that DOESN'T think like you. What would appeal to them?

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Hey guys my name is Garrett im 26 and new to the forum and the preparedness lifestyle. Actually I just started last week assessing my surroundings and the possible threats that I face in my area along with starting to prepare a BOB along with a few other things. My question is, how do I go about approaching friends and neighbors about this? Anytime I have even mentioned to anyone, even close friends, what I am doing they just laugh and tell me that im paranoid and this is stupid. I know things will be better off if close ones are prepared also and we can band together in a crisis, but everyone seems to blow it off and think its a stupid paranoia and that everything is going to always be fine. Its frustrating.....
If you do a search here, you'll find an almost endless string of threads discussing this very thing. What they all have in common is that the people you talk to are NOT going to come around. They just don't.

What they will do, however, is come to your place in a crisis expecting a handout. If they don't get one, they'll get all huffy about how they don't have anything and you do, so it's your "responsibility" to share with them. In the end, they will be the ones taking from you by force.

I'd either drop it alltogether, or make VERY light mention of the disasters on the news. Acting shocked that the people didn't even have a little food and water, or alternate heat or light or whatever. This *might* open someone's eyes, though in my experience, it's just a big waste of time. But at least you can say you've tried.

The one thing you DON'T want, is for those people to know that you are prepared.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I converted a few people by just sending a few emails once in a while with a news source-- showing some disaster.... hurricane, earthquake, fire, whatever... And usually say something like-- wow-- so glad it didn't happen in OUR neighborhood! What would people around US do????????

A few of those, once in a while, really gets people thinking. Subtle, not forceful, just little seeds planted in their hearts and minds.

Many just havent bothered checking the news, or blows it off. They dont think of the "what if it happened to ME"? scenario.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't try to convert people, I prep for me and mine, and actually don't talk about it with any friends. I don't even talk about it with family...they just know I have a lot of "stuff". No one outside of my family has ever been in my "prepping area" or seen my supplies.
Gardens, canning and stockpiling are fairly common out here in the country.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hello and welcome Garrett. You have hit on a very touchy subject (as you have seen from the excellent replies you have received so far). Everything that the replies is good advice. I as most have said, do not show or tell anyone, except immediate family that are of the same mind set, what I have stored, bought and accumulated to date! I think that is most important. My wife (it took quite a while and lots of talking, showing survival related new, etc - to get her on board) and I have talked quite a bit about what we will do when the "ShummerHTF" and friends & people come asking for help. We have agreed that we will help those we can - with what we can - and the rest will be sent on their way!

One thing I would suggest to you, that I didn't see anyone else mention- go to James Rawles "Survivalblog.com" and look at the extensive articles there about prepping and the subject you brought up above. Most of us, I believe, read Jim's blog each and every day.

One other thing I might suggest for you - get and read Jim's book "Patriots". It is excellent and his new one "How to Survive The End of The World as We Know it" is also excellent. My suggestion for possibly talking to someone about prepping - when the time is right, offer to let them read Jim's "Patriots" book - - or buy them one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All that is needed for evil to succeed is, that decent human being do nothing" Edmund Burke

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
Another member here loaned me the book "One Second After". I have been prepping for a while, but hadn't read it. My wife, 3 of my 4 kids and my son's girlfriend are solidly onboard.

Get the book, read it and loan it out. That's a start.

Also, next time the topic of a major disaster like Hati, Katrina etc comes up ask point blank. "How long will it take for the gooberment to respond and what will you do in the meantime?" Followed by, "How comfortable do you want to be, to the gooberments standard or your own?"

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Stop talking about it immediately. Agree that it was stupid and and you have blown off the idea.
Proceed with your preps secretly untill you have substantial stocks in place and then you can carefully find like minded people.
Keep things low key with family members along the lines of simple emergency preparedness as suggested by ready.gov.
Fly low, prep hard.
+1 to all of that.

For loved ones etc, that you really wouldn't want to see suffer, you may think of putting away some extra food for them.

Also, there are parts of prepping that can "save money" (ie, buying food in bulk, having a full pantry saving trips to the shop, etc), so you could emphasize the "cost saving" aspects, not the "survival" aspects.

Another benefit of a full pantry is time saving. Your cooking a meal, oh, you need a can of beans, whats faster, a trip to the shop? or a trip to the cupboard?

I cant really think of any way of "advertising" storing water to those people that think it comes (almost) free from a tap, and always will...

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
30,609 Posts
Like a crazy friend of mine says, "Comfort the Disturbed and Disturb the Comfortable".

The best time to talk to friends and family about prepping is right after an incident. Even a minor one. If the power goes out for a few days or an area gets snow for the first time in three decades and people actually have a glimpse at how unprepared they are, that spark of realization can be fanned into a flame. Considering the string of winter storms that battered the south and southeast US this year, I bet now is a great time to bring up some common sense ideas to prepare for such an occurrence in the future.

Start small within the context of their recent experience. Build on that. A lot of people take comfort in knowing they can make sure something awful doesn't happen again.

Then again, some people could fall down the same elevator shaft ten times and not figure out the elevator doesn't work. You have to know when to give up too.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Fly low, prep hard.
Totally agree with this...you MUST keep it quiet that you are storing up preps or you will be in trouble when SHTF and they remember you have food.

I agree with what others said too about talking about the increase of food prices. Then say something like "Wow, it'd be smart to stock some food now before it goes up again, wouldn't it?" This is something we will all face before any SHTF happenings. For some of us on fixed income that alone IS a SHTF scenario.

People are still losing jobs too. If you know someone who is afraid of losing their job, suggest they stock up on food ahead of time. That just makes sense to have something laid away for rainy days.

But say it as if you suddenly thought of it and arn't sure you will do it, not as someone who has already been doing it for awhile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have to agree with most....get prepared first. I was faced with a similar situation, however I started preparing anyway....I later engage those family members in conversation about things in the news that was leading me in the direction of getting prepared. You get the gist...later as I helped to expose new idea's (slowly) they came on board....hell a few have surpassed me now because they have a better cash flow.
-Chris

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Greetings! And welcome! As you've probably gathered by now, most here have had bad experiences trying to spread the word about possible problems to those closest to them. AND anticipate worse should TSHTF and all those they've talked to about preparing for disaster, suddenly made desperate and needy, make the logical assumption that if you urged them to prep, that probably meant YOU had already prepared, and so show up at your door looking for help. Indeed, there have been stories where exactly that thing has happened during local emergencies: Preppers were confronted by friends and family - and friends of friends and family who the latter had told tales to about the prepper's silly 'hobby' of being ready for disaster - all asking (or occasionally demanding) succor. And also sometimes blaming the prepper for being prepared and safe and comfortable while they were not, and behaving like jerks even as they lived off the prepper's larder... Conventional wisdom, therefore, is to not talk about such things, both to make sure your doorstep remains unoccupied in a disaster, and to avoid derision... Maybe if you're close to someone, and think they might be receptive to warning, raising the matter (usually in conjunction with some disaster in the news) and feeling out their position before saying anything that might incriminate you, is possible. But just preaching to everyone: No, that's doesn't work too well.

One possible way around this, if you've got the time, money, and inclination, is to become a disaster expert. Heck, it might even lead to a career. Get Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training, take courses in first aid, check with your county and city Health and police departments and see what sort of emergency response plans and organization they've got, perhaps even become a first responder or a member of a planning board. If you're a part of the existing power structure and / or acknowledged as someone who knows what he's talking about, you'll be able to speak with LOTS more authority to others about what they should be doing, without folks necessarily assuming you're prepping yourself (after all, nobody expects the head of FEMA to be a survivalist. Unfortunately). And even if friends and family do suspect you of being an actual prepper, hassling someone who may be on a first name basis witn police, the Mayor, or county commissoners might strike them as not a good idea... And this would aslo give you a chance to become familair with, and maybe even develop, your local disaster plans.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.