Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Let me preface this statement, by saying I love the idea of hunting, I love the outdoors, I love the outdoors, I love knowing where my food comes from. I've caught my food before by snaring and fishing, in a wilderness program. I recently joined the "firearms owner community" and I want to get into hunting small game first, and then work my way up to bigger things.
Now here's the statement I have no ****ing clue where to start. I live in Los Angeles, and cant exactly go hunting in my backyard. And there is no public land in the area I could use. I have very little experience hunting or tracking.

I don't know many hunters so I can't exactly ask them to teach me. I have a couple of small game rifles, a Marlin Papoose, and a single shot Springfield 69a. I also have a stevens 311a 12ga with a 32 Inch barrel and also a goose gun I'm willing to cut down.
So any advice?
Where to hunt near LA,
what to hunt near LA
How to hunt near LA
When to hunt Near LA
and so on?

·
Master Mariner- retired
957 Posts
Google the Ca. Wildlife an Fisheries. Download their brochures on hunting regulations. They will have maps of any public lands open for hunting. Read the regs CAREFULLY. In places, they will ticket you for even the slightest infraction.
The state should have hunter education courses. Sign up and go to one. You will probably run into a number of like minded people.
Ask questions. Get to know the local hunters. Most probably, you can find a local hunter that will mentor you.
Last but not least, read, read, read.

·
Bob Dole
172 Posts
Google the Ca. Wildlife an Fisheries. Download their brochures on hunting regulations. They will have maps of any public lands open for hunting. Read the regs CAREFULLY. In places, they will ticket you for even the slightest infraction.
The state should have hunter education courses. Sign up and go to one. You will probably run into a number of like minded people.
Ask questions. Get to know the local hunters. Most probably, you can find a local hunter that will mentor you.
Last but not least, read, read, read.
In all likely hood you are going to have to go to a hunter's education course before you can get a hunting license. It is highly recommended that you go anyhow, while you may know about firearm safety they do teach a lot about what to do in the woods dealing with firearm safety. The brochure is the best place to look to start, I never thought there would be the public land around for me to hunt as there was until I looked in the brochures.

·
Master Mariner- retired
957 Posts
Don't know about Commiefornia, but in Florida, if you are under a certain age you have to take the hunter education course to get a hunting license. The brochures will give you that information.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,659 Posts
Let me preface this statement, by saying I love the idea of hunting, I love the outdoors, I love the outdoors, I love knowing where my food comes from. I've caught my food before by snaring and fishing, in a wilderness program. I recently joined the "firearms owner community" and I want to get into hunting small game first, and then work my way up to bigger things.
Now here's the statement I have no ****ing clue where to start. I live in Los Angeles, and cant exactly go hunting in my backyard. And there is no public land in the area I could use. I have very little experience hunting or tracking.

I don't know many hunters so I can't exactly ask them to teach me. I have a couple of small game rifles, a Marlin Papoose, and a single shot Springfield 69a. I also have a stevens 311a 12ga with a 32 Inch barrel and also a goose gun I'm willing to cut down.
So any advice?
Where to hunt near LA,
what to hunt near LA
How to hunt near LA
When to hunt Near LA
and so on?
Many folks living in LA hunt.
Many moved there having already hunted in other states.
Yes, you must take a hunter safety course offered by the NRA.

Places to start.
Hunting clubs and formal or informal groups. Most people learn hunting from other, more experienced hunters.

What to hunt.
Start with small game like rabbits and tree squirrels, game birds like chucker and quail, predators such as bobcat and coyote.

Where to hunt.
Mountains and deserts. You are going to travel a lot to find decent bird hunting. Consider driving at least 140 miles north to the high desert. You can find coyotes closer to the city, but you must find an area where it is both legal and safe to shoot them.

When you decide to make the jump to big game, you should consider the cost and perhaps even hunt out of state.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
google, hunting forums, and books are your friend... i always wanted to deer hunt, i live in Cali also, so 3 years ago i started at the age of 46... no license, no deer rifle, no boots, nothing... three seasons later i filled my tag this year 4 hours into opening day hunting alone on a very popular piece of public land that has a 4% success rate... there are lots of things to learn, but if you are willing to study and get out and hike where you want to hunt you can do it...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Lots of good advice. Take it slow, start small and read read read. And don't be embarrassed about asking more experience hunters questions. Everyone has their own tricks and methods. You have the guns, now take classes provided by your states DNR or the NRA. And don't be discouraged. Took me 3 years to fill my first tag after missing or not even seeing anything. It takes patience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts