Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

SO I am doing quals, and I am shooting lower left quadrant of target, seems like I do this pretty consistently, I qualed, but not well!

Went home and tried with .22, my 9mm, and my .45acp all consistently hit in that lower left section. I had my friend flinch test me by "loading' the gun out of my sight and handing it to me to shoot.

No visible flinch, but as soon as I shoot...pow lower left quadrant. I am thinking I got something funky going on with my trigger pull.

So the question is how do I isolate and resolve this?

Thanks!

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Where is your trigger finger placement at?
Tip of finger, or first joint?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Quite somple, Go get the .22 out and focuse on overcoming it.

Squuuueese the trigger.

Make that the focuse of your shooting.

An afternoon and 500 rounds should go a LONG way towards correcting it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Another good method is to get a revolver, have someone else load just some of the cylinders. When shooting, squeeze the trigger slowly paying attention to proper hand placement and control. You will notice if you flinch when the hammer drops on an empty chamber when you didn't know it was going to be empty. If you are flinching every time, spend alot more time practicing with .22's instead of larger calibers (if you can do the same exercise with a .22, that's even better). Do this consistently until you no longer flinch when you drop the hammer on an empty chamber. Additionally, make absolutely sure that you are holding the weapon correctly and that you aren't tucking your thumb from your firing hand under the thumb of your supporting hand. Make sure your stance is solid, and that when holding the weapon, it is properly aligned in your hand so that it is in straight alignment with your wrist, forearm, and body.

--Wintermute

·
281 Posts
how to fix undetectable flinch

If you will place a coin on top of your weapons slide or cylinder, and practice squeezing trigger without dropping coin you will eventually see a difference in trigger squeeze...the coin shouldn't fall til weapon is fired.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome thanks guys!

I am placing my finger middle of first pad on trigger, should I be placing it more towards the tip?

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
ensure you have EQUAL pressure in either hand, trigger(press) instead of SQUEEZING the trigger. ensure its evenly pulled to the rear. the trigger should be in the meaty middle part of the diget or pad. If your concerned with firing try to do Dry fire drills. Ensure your weapon is cleared out and no ammo or mag is in it. pick a spot on the wall like a small mark or dot on the wall, aim at it point blank. hold the pistol to the wall cock the pistol and practice good fundamentals. I suggest placing a dime ontop of the slide or atop the pistol. the dime shouldnt move at all if it falls of your doing something wrong. GL

·
Registered
46 Posts
A good way to break out of a bad shooting habit is to buy some dummy rounds and have someone randomly load them into the mags for you. You will see what you are doing wrong and be able to correct it in no time.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Never intentionally aim off!!

I think you are anticipating the break. When was the last time you got a surprise break? Do you shoot lower left on a gun you have never shot before? Try this: Don't rest your finger on the trigger, but on the backside of the trigger guard. When you are lined up and ready to fire, make one smooth motion from the trigger guard "through" the trigger.

Many experienced shooters get complacent and forget the basics. I have been found on occasion to shoot a smaller group on a strangers gun than my own...

Want a true surprise break? put a bandaid on your finger where it touches the trigger.

The practice of placing the strong hand thumb on top of the support hand thumb is relatively new. This comes from the increased involvement of the support hand in gun operation over the last few decades. In the old days (with slimmer grips) support hand use was sometimes frowned upon. Kinda like cheating. Haha. Try both and see what works better for you. Personally I grip my pistols with only the shooting hand then bring up the support hand. I refuse to adjust my strong hand grip just because the "support" hand is there also. But some could call this stubbornness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts