Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we've had a hell of a lot of snow here lately (for western WA that is). This has unfortunately resulted in every idiot who doesn't know how to drive in the snow making this a really dangerous place for insurance rates to go out driving in. So, lately, I've been walking down to the coffee shop in the morning to get my mocha and one for my wife. Since I have to walk back with my wifes, I bring our nifty little stainless steel thermos and bring it back in that. I've found that I don't like walking on icy ground with a cup of coffee in one hand and a thermos in the other, so I was working out a better way to carry the thermos and this is what I've put together (let me know what you all think):

Btw, sewing the webbing onto the elastic material was a pain as you have to stretch it to the correct length while sewing it.

--Wintermute

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
That's nifty! Oooh, now I want to make one. Nice sewing job!

And yes, actually, you should totally marker this thing. :B It's exactly the kind of thing people buy in winter. (and to go on unnecessarily heavy backpacking trips, which lots of people seem to enjoy...) After all, everyone loves coffee!

PS Have fun with the rest of the storm! XD

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice.did one for a water bottle.cost me 10 cent for the webbing.have trouble with my sewing machince (actually dont think i have the patience).so i usually do stuff by hand.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Looks nifty! Sorry to hear about the snow storm. Spent the day yesterday in shorts and tank top here!

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Those narrow metal thermos's fit well in the sides of a kids backpack. When hiking in the cold, they each carry their own hot cocoa,like yesterday. Great plan though.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Well, we've had a hell of a lot of snow here lately (for western WA that is). This has unfortunately resulted in every idiot who doesn't know how to drive in the snow making this a really dangerous place for insurance rates to go out driving in. So, lately, I've been walking down to the coffee shop in the morning to get my mocha and one for my wife. Since I have to walk back with my wifes, I bring our nifty little stainless steel thermos and bring it back in that. I've found that I don't like walking on icy ground with a cup of coffee in one hand and a thermos in the other, so I was working out a better way to carry the thermos and this is what I've put together (let me know what you all think):
--Wintermute
What's wrong with this picture???

We have a self-proclaimed survivalist making some really nifty web gear so he can hike thru the snow (uphill both ways no doubt) TO GET A CUP OF FREAKIN' COFFEE...
A real survivalist would have shovelled his way into the back yard, collected some pine needles and brewed some tea OR tapped into his substantial stores of MRE's and pulled out the instant coffee packets for the couple days of bad weather...

Just teasing...:D::D: Looks like a great idea...

Allan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TO GET A CUP OF FREAKIN' COFFEE...
Some things in life are worth dying for...like a good mocha in the morning :D:

OR tapped into his substantial stores of MRE's and pulled out the instant coffee packets for the couple days of bad weather...
Having to drink instant coffee is something that really does terrify me about a shtf scenario :) :thumb:

--Wintermute

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Have carried a thermos of hot coffee on every hunting and day outing. I leave it hanging from a tree with orange plastic ribbon at the halfway point. As I return, the coffee is always very warm if not hot.

That same bag contains food bars and other helpful additions. It is purposefully left at the halfway point, every time.

Learn from this bit of wisdom. Its not mine but from an old timer. And yes I do lighten my load by half at the halfway in point.

·
<< This Space For Rent >>
72 Posts
I just got a new stainless steel thermos from a barter transaction that came with its own carry pouch and shoulder strap. Fits into the water bottle holder on my backpack as well.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
nice webbing and all real good stiching But get a bigger thermos not one of them 3 cup coffee thermos, if your going to do it do it right, the colemen green has more uses

1 - 16 of 16 Posts