Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
User Title
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m putting a couple emergency bags (think short term BOB that is with you all the time in the car/truck) for the wife and I and I started thinking I may put a 9mm with a few mags in each one. I carry (45’s) all the time so it’s not a big deal that I have a 9mm in the bag, but I can always “dump it” if I feel I don’t want to carry it. I’m getting off track though.

I never put much thought into it but what would be the best way to carry a pistol while wearing a pack with a belt and keeping it concealed? My paddle or belt holsters aren’t going to work out so hot with a pack and keeping it in the pack seems like giving up a big potential advantage. Something like a thigh holster comes to mind, and we have open carry in MI (we may not be in MI when things go sideways though….) and I would rather go for the “under cover” look if possible.

I looked, and didn’t find a small “pistol pack”/holster that would be unassuming and/or be able to be firmly secured to the packs belt or maybe even a strap. Anyone know of anything like that? Even something secured to the packs side that could be used as a “cross draw” holster (would be cumbersome, but would probably work). I’m just not finding anything.

These are the packs I got (good 3 day pack) and if caught away from home during an “event” would be real nice to have if you need to hoof it home.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Vulture-II-Backpack-12p114.htm

A few options, none so hot:
-Don’t use the packs belt
-Thigh holster
-Keep pistol in pack
-Have a pair of pants in the pack with cargo pockets, but the pistol would whip around a lot, too loose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!:thumb:

·
Banned
1,967 Posts
If your packs are MOLLE compatible, you could secure a 45 degree angle hostler to the side where you could reach it........I wouldnt just put it in the pack, you can't call a timeout to retrieve it if confronted.

if you want to conceal it, wear a jacket with a shoulder holster

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I have seen a few chest holsters that looked kinda like your typical radio pack.

I'm sure the idea could be modified to allow you to 'cover' the pistol completely if you need that ability.

The nice thing about this design was that you can drop the pack and retain the pistol without having to have it in your hand or drawn at the same time. I think being about to drop the pack for mobility is a VERY important feature.

I am working through a similar problem with my gear. I would like to be able to retain a small front bag and my pistol in its holster if I HAD to drop my larger heavier pack. Then rotate the front bag around to the rear ( like a gearslinger ). Worst case I would like to be able to drop the small gearslinger and keep my pistol/rifle etc.

Good luck on your gear search.

·
Resident Gun Nut
78 Posts
I carry strongside IWB with my pack. It's not a problem even when hiking 10+ miles in south MS 90+ Degree heat w/humidity... and I'm fat too. Doesn't bother me at all. If I didn't carry strongside while hiking, I'd carry crossdraw OWB...

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Well, with that pack, with the waist belt actually being at the waist and not on the hips, any regular way of carrying would work........

With my pack, with the belt at the hip, I can carry the gun on my hip belt......
but, maybe a fanny pack......

Btw, I's wondering, just what is a "tactical" backpack? Imo, something being tactical, it gives an advantage over an opponent, in a battle setting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had a smiliar concern with my gear set up....my summer pack is a osprey atmos 58(i think) and iw as able to attach their "camera pouch" to sternum strap to conceal a small .38....
This worked fine to carry, but i wasnt completely satisfied

I have also been looking for a pouch that would allow me to carry the 10 "essentials" that could be transfered from pack to pack with relative ease...

I discovered http://www.hillpeoplegear.com during an online search and it seems to be a good solution. While i have purchased one, i have not had time away to set it up and try it out...

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
-Keep pistol in pack
Logically, a pistol is a backup weapon. If you aren't instantly able to get to it, then it's purpose is lost.

In NC, We have open carry laws, however I'd prefer to conceal and carry.

My shirt hides my pistol and has a quick release so that I can deploy it in a moments notice.

A pistol in your bag also is considered concealed. If you aren't legal in doing so, then I wouldn't suggest it. At least with a shirt you can make it visible when you need to.

For my main pistol, I also wouldn't suggest leg holsters. Necessity is the mother of all inventions, which is why gun belts were invented. :)

·
FMJ trigger job
103 Posts
I carry mine in a shoulder holster but have also used a drop leg. Both work great. I use a Bianchi military holster which can be converted into a drop leg shoulder or belt holster.

·
What would Mal do
4,920 Posts
I carry daily, but i also keep a pistol in my grab bag which has a special zipper section for fairly quick access...but you have to be aware of surroundings and be able to get to it in advance.

One thing I have done and I like it...since my bag straps have moles all down the front, I have been able to take a simple holster with the metal belt clip, run that through the mole on the front of the strap (cross draw as it's on my left shoulder strap) the gun rides in a decent position and I use a small hand towel to drape over it so it looks like I've got a sweat rag hanging there for very normal use, but in fact it's covering the gun..I'm concealed but very quick access.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Thigh holster (safariland 6004)- I am not so much worried about concealment of a pistol when I carry a long gun openly all the time around here.

But if you must hide it get one of the waist packs and wear it in front, and don't use the packs waist belt.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I carry daily, but i also keep a pistol in my grab bag which has a special zipper section for fairly quick access...but you have to be aware of surroundings and be able to get to it in advance.

One thing I have done and I like it...since my bag straps have moles all down the front, I have been able to take a simple holster with the metal belt clip, run that through the mole on the front of the strap (cross draw as it's on my left shoulder strap) the gun rides in a decent position and I use a small hand towel to drape over it so it looks like I've got a sweat rag hanging there for very normal use, but in fact it's covering the gun..I'm concealed but very quick access.
I've seen those.

Maxpedition has a system using velcro which allows you to rip through to grab your pistol.

It's specifically geared towards quick deployment and the element of surprise.

I wouldn't count this as "stowing it in your bag". Instead I would call it tactically placing it where no one might suspect.

Then again, I've seen Strollers with tactical access points too.

These of course are pretty cool as well as a tactical advantage. (also probably a felony)

And no, they don't look like this.

Reactions: Ankylus

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I use a shoulder holster, if I am going throujgh heavy brush or running I don't have to think about it at all.
hip or thigh holsters are too vulnerable and can be snatched by some one else .
The shoulder holster puts the weapon righ under your armpit ,and it does not get in the way sitting down and still can be drawn easily,unlike hip or thigh locations.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts