Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Nice video!

I have mentioned this before, but I will do so again in this thread, since it is a bout fire.

Put 2-3 cotton balls in the change pocket of your jeans or pants. Then just leave them there. After a washing and drying or 2, you end up with a nice wad of cotton tinder in every pair of your pants. So, as long as you travel with a lighter or fire starter every day, you can make fire anywhere, anytime.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
The guy in the OP video, sounded like our very own Kev, is good with his FireSteel. I've found it better to hold the lint in the same hand as the striker (the lint is pinched between the index finger and the steel.) This way the spark has almost zero gap to jump (i.e. it's hotter when it hits the tinder) and you can't miss (i.e. the first, last, and every spark will hit the target dryer lint.) Just be prepared to drop the tinder into your firebundle fast, otherwise you'll burn your fingers.

Allan

·
Slush Butter Knife
326 Posts
Nice video!

I have mentioned this before, but I will do so again in this thread, since it is a bout fire.

Put 2-3 cotton balls in the change pocket of your jeans or pants. Then just leave them there. After a washing and drying or 2, you end up with a nice wad of cotton tinder in every pair of your pants. So, as long as you travel with a lighter or fire starter every day, you can make fire anywhere, anytime.
That's pretty funny Chin!!!

I can picture my wife asking me why I am I carrying around so much cotton all of a sudden.

and I do carry a lighter around with me at all times too!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
LOL Coda,

It actually presses down and you don't even know it is there after you wash the jeans a few times.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Woah. I had no idea that dryer lint was that flamable. eek. I'm glad it's just habit I clean out my lint trap every time I use the dryer!! But now that I'm in to prepping, I'm definitely going to make me up little containers of dryer lint, cotton balls and fire starters!! Thanks for sharing!

·
Country Boy
1,093 Posts
Want to start a fire with dryer lint, never clean out the duct work from your dryer to the outside. You will be amazed at how much lint builds up in the duct.

·
Ready and Able
43 Posts
Thanks for the post Kev and Patrick, I like using dryer lint more than cotton balls, just a personal preferance I guess. Its cheaper than wet fire tabs for darn sure and I can always get a fire going with it even with wet wood ( just takes more work with your knife to whittle the wood down to the dry parts) Good posts guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts