Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the right scenario, how safe is chlorinated pool water to drink or prepare foods? Any special precautions necessary? Anyone have first hand experience? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Depends on what you put in the water. Common brands of water treatment for swimming pools will cause nausea and vomiting if you swallow more than a few mouthfuls. That's why it's not uncommon for idiot kids to puke in or around the pool.

Just plain chlorine-- depends on how much is in there. Chlorine is naturally a gas. It's always trying to go back to that natural state whether you use liquid or granular. That's why you have to add it again after a while, it gasses off and is gone. If you treat for germs and algae you'd need to wait until chlorine levels are down to potable levels. Unless you have a drinking water filter that will take out chlorine.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
Because it is outdoors you should consider it raw water, albeit from a much cleaner source. Unless it was just recently shocked then it needs biological filtration. If it is frequently shocked then you need to deal with excess chlorine compounds.

Reactions: Kalifornia Guy

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Depends on what you put in the water. Common brands of water treatment for swimming pools will cause nausea and vomiting if you swallow more than a few mouthfuls. That's why it's not uncommon for idiot kids to puke in or around the pool.

Just plain chlorine-- depends on how much is in there. Chlorine is naturally a gas. It's always trying to go back to that natural state whether you use liquid or granular. That's why you have to add it again after a while, it gasses off and is gone. If you treat for germs and algae you'd need to wait until chlorine levels are down to potable levels. Unless you have a drinking water filter that will take out chlorine.
Couldn't you cook the chlorine out?
Which is a funny way of saying:
Doesn't heat drive it out?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use liquid chlorine. If the testable levels show low, is it safe then? Thanks for the replies, I will look into a filter that handles chlorine.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What? That link I posted? It's junior high chemistry at most.
Its not that I dont understand it, the solutions provided dont solve my scenario. Well, I guess a couple of them do. Thanks for the insight.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
I don't know if heat makes the chlorine dispel quicker. I don't know how much chlorine is considered potable. That's research everyone is going to need to do, since I won't. I don't have a swimming pool. If I get one then I'll do the math. Test strips would be a good suggestion to own. Absolutely, in a situation where nobody is looking after the water supply, I would depend on my own purification. Good filter plus boiling does it for me. If the only available wild water is yucky, then several filtrations, boiling and some chlorine too. I do live in an area where water availability could become the number one problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts