Couldn't you cook the chlorine out?Depends on what you put in the water. Common brands of water treatment for swimming pools will cause nausea and vomiting if you swallow more than a few mouthfuls. That's why it's not uncommon for idiot kids to puke in or around the pool.
Just plain chlorine-- depends on how much is in there. Chlorine is naturally a gas. It's always trying to go back to that natural state whether you use liquid or granular. That's why you have to add it again after a while, it gasses off and is gone. If you treat for germs and algae you'd need to wait until chlorine levels are down to potable levels. Unless you have a drinking water filter that will take out chlorine.
Good article on explaining the problem, but it makes a fiery death crash when it comes to solving the problem.