Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the local news, much is being made of people getting sick from the hamburger that they are taking out of the freezer....

Apparently a lot of people bought hamburger that was later recalled.... but they didn't get the memo...

When I googled hamburger recall.... there were a lot more than seemed reasonable....

I recently watched a program called "The Poison Squad".... It documented the disturbing practice of the food industry to use unhealthful additives in their products to stretch shelf life and extend the volume of the products...

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/poison-squad/

With the new de-regulations being pushed through by the various producers allowing them to speed up the production lines, and self inspect... due to the numbers of inspectors being reduced by govt penny-pinchers....

Got to wonder about the likelihood of our preps being more dangerous than whatever event we are attempting to survive!

Seems like misplaced trust if we fail to demand thorough inspections of the commercial food industry...

Or... get serious about knowing exactly where our food came from....

·
I have control issues
5,979 Posts
...Or... get serious about knowing exactly where our food came from....
If you grow/raise your own, then you DO know exactly where your food comes from. That, or know your local farmers and how they grow/raise their crops/livestock and buy from them.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,676 Posts
Usually ground beef recalls are for chubs rather than locally ground beef.
I avoid chub beef like the plague. My main reason is to avoid pink slime additives, but when outbreaks at these plants happen there is a lot of bad food out there.

I go for fresh grind from the stores and pester all of you regularly to have your own briskets ground.

I see my way as cheaper, purer, and better tasting all at once. The only hassle my way is the need for the bulk personal buys.

Maybe my way won't work for everyone, but more of you would benefit by trying.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Luckily I know a few butchers in my area. I trust them and they trust me kind of thing. I know what I’m saying doesn’t help most people but when it comes down to it.. it means the world for meats. I tell them what I want and they do the best to make it happen. How they trust me doesn’t really matter. I enjoy firing up one of the few smokers I have several times a year and loading up the freezer. Getting to know some folks really helps , even though some people don’t get the chance when it comes to a trustworthy meat source.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Why does it take sometimes 2 months before they do a recall but in reality they knew about the cultures in the lab within a few days

·
BASS
2,094 Posts
We have a limited supply of frozen meats and poultry. SHTF and even our GENERAC fails we will be eating and smoking those first.We have canned chicken, fish and SPAM and working on other items as we speak.

I plan for the worst of times. If it doesn't get that bad good, but I don't count on it.

My friends and I plan on harvesting fresh meat on the hoof or fish swimming. We can smoke them and save them. Winter time temperatures would help. ;)

·
Learning
6,627 Posts
I try to avoid purchasing meat at the grocery store...chickens, and pork...occasionally. I either raise it, get it from a friend or shoot it.

I definitely don't purchase burger at the store anymore.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
On the local news, much is being made of people getting sick from the hamburger that they are taking out of the freezer....

Apparently a lot of people bought hamburger that was later recalled.... but they didn't get the memo...

When I googled hamburger recall.... there were a lot more than seemed reasonable....

I recently watched a program called "The Poison Squad".... It documented the disturbing practice of the food industry to use unhealthful additives in their products to stretch shelf life and extend the volume of the products...

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/poison-squad/..m....
You caught that the entire story was about the food industry 1900-15 didn't you? Why it wasn't in full living color. Interesting historical story about the early history of the food safety industry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts