Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could a propane tank explode if punctured or shot? I know if the gas leak is exposed to a open flame, but is there anyother way to cause on explosion? I have been thinking of storing a few tanks in my basement.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
no, well maybe if there is a spark or open flame. most likely it'll take off like a rocket and do more damage hitting things.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
A slow leak probably would be more likely, I would find somewhere outside to store them. Better safe then sorry
If you gotta slow leak it's pretty easy to blow your house up that happens on a regular basis all over the country.

·
barking at the moon
243 Posts
As SESA stated you would probably be more prone to a slow leak, This is bad news in a small space like a basement, as propane is heavier than air and will lay on the floor in a layer. Under the right circumstance if there is an electrical spark or the flame from a pilot light you could get an explosion. Depends on how big a space and how much leaking propane etc. I know someone who had a sailboat blow up from leaking propane. The thing is that your head is usually above the level of the gas and you wont smell it, then you go and turn on a light or use a power tool or start an engine and then bang. Ive shot a couple of propane tanks and they usually just get a hole punched in them and they gas off, but most of those were almost empty. Only time we had one really explode was when we stuck a small exploding target on one of the cylinders and it peeled open with a pretty big bang and and a good sized ball of fire. That was a long time ago when you could go out and shoot just about anything in the desert and not get in any trouble. Build yourself a nice vented storage box for the patio, put a cushion on top and have a dual purpose seat.

Ed

·
The Game Is Rigged
261 Posts
If you have a gas furnace or water heater in your basement and there is a leaking propane bottle, you might want to put new batteries in your smoke detectors, leave your BOB next to your window, and don't park your car next to the house. The fire dept. will need to get close to save the foundation.;)

·
The Game Is Rigged
261 Posts
Sometimes houses go up with a gas leak because when you flip the light switch, it might spark in the switch.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
ive seen a 20lb half-full propane tank hit by a truck...or more specifically run over and crushed against part of the suspension or undercarriage. it collapsed and 'tore' along a crinkled seam. the sound was like a tire losing all its air and lasted <10 seconds. no fireworks, to my disappointment.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The boys at the Knob Creek Range routinely plant 20 lb. propane tanks in the junk cars they put out on the range. Tracers will fire them up.It takes a non-burning leak for a time,then a tracer to cause an ignition. Usually its not terribly violent.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
If you have a gas furnace or water heater in your basement and there is a leaking propane bottle, you might want to put new batteries in your smoke detectors, leave your BOB next to your window, and don't park your car next to the house. The fire dept. will need to get close to save the foundation.;)
If my house goes up they'd better just evacuate a 5 square mile area. 20k rounds of ammo, 100 gallons of gas, 3 propane tanks...I bet that'd make for a fantastic explosion! :D:

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Small arms ammo doesn't explode,but pops off round by round in a fire. Having bulk powder,whether black or smokeless,is the real danger.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
Yeah, I know. Still something fun to tell the fire department when they show up though. Makes things just that much more "interesting." ;)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
That stuff makes national news,where it gets twisted against people with the prep mindset. I pray you're not actually keeping gasoline or propane in your home. That is asking for disaster.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You'd be wise to invest in a propane/natural gas detector and position it at floor level, where the tanks should be stored. Do a search, they're common in the RV/Travel trailer business. Two things needed for ignition in the case of a puncture or otherwise, an explosive mixture of the gas with air and an ignition source. Most punctures won't provide the ignition source but will allow gas to be mixed with air, only lacking an ignition source for an explosion, until it weathers off or the area is ventilated. Initially the gas is heavier than air until it mixes with the room air and/or finds an ignition source, i.e., water heater flame/ignitor, furnace flame, or electric motor arcing. Reduce slow leakage occurence by keeping the plug in the valve outlet when not in use.
And since you're in an area with basements, the larger (100#, about 4-4 1/2 ft tall) propane tanks generally get cheaper this time of year. Bought one several years ago at a Tractor Supply retailer.

·
3 more years of this?
2,861 Posts
And if you have them stored outside chain them down to a eyebolt buried in concrete or something solid. If they go off they wont go anywhere and no one can steal them.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
That stuff makes national news,where it gets twisted against people with the prep mindset. I pray you're not actually keeping gasoline or propane in your home. That is asking for disaster.
Give me a break (and grow a sense of humor)...do you park your cars in the garage? Do they ever have full tanks of gas? Do you have some extra gas in the mower? Extra gas for the mower? That's 50 gallons of gas IN YOUR HOME right there. I'd be willing to bet the average person has at least this much at any given time and I don't see any homes exploding...if they do it is much more likely to be the natural gas that is actually piped in to their homes. And you think an extra propane tank and a few extra gas cans really makes a difference? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts