Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an upright freezer I bought new maybe 25 years ago and only used it 2 years.
So it has sat unused in the basement for 23 years.

I want to stock it with grass fed hormone free pork and beef this year but I'm unsure if it would be reliable.
What do you think?

·
Registered
325 Posts
It obviously needs a "test" run.. Will it maintain temp ? Will it keep bottles of water frozen ?? If it shows signs of being reliable, start filling a little at a time.. Nothing more than you can transfer to another freezer, if it fails..

Monitor the temp often, and the time it takes to get to temp.. Monitor it often once it gets to working temp..

At that age, even if dependable it may not be the most efficient and somewhat expensive to operate.. But then it is already paid for..

·
democrats = Hydra
6,183 Posts
as long as it has been kept upright (to keep the freon stuff in place) I'd think it would be all right. those things last for quite a while.
let us know!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Plug it in. If it keeps everything at the right temp. for a week I would say it would work long term. Try cleaning out any dust you see around the coils/motor before running it. A vacuum, air compressor with a air hose, or a swifter duster does a good job of getting in there.

·
Fixer
1,263 Posts
buy a temp alarm.
in case it quits then you have time to go get another replacement hours to days depending.
if it cant be replaced the alarm will allow you more time to cook or preserve what you can before it goes bad.
as an electronics /appliance repair tech it may very well outlast a brand new unit quality is a word rarely used on today's appliances.. was realy hoping tarifs would bring back a tubing mill so we would have reliable refrigeration again.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have an upright freezer I bought new maybe 25 years ago and only used it 2 years.
So it has sat unused in the basement for 23 years.

I want to stock it with grass fed hormone free pork and beef this year but I'm unsure if it would be reliable.
What do you think?
My guess is it will work fine. The refrigeration system is sealed and unlikely to fail with time. Condenser fan might be, check it you don’t feel air moving.

As someone said, invest in an alarm.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Im still running one I bought in 1997. Put in storage for a few years after I upgraded to a larger freezer. Only used it during hunting season for processing the past few years. It's been running full time again for 2 years now. I do check it weekly when I get stuff out or stock the in house freezer. Mines a kenmore, (not frost free). Keep it checked. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whole not exactly scientific, a cup of solid ice and with a penny on top will give you some ideas of whether the freezer is working properly or not.

In the event the freezer is a basket case, don't throw it out. Dead freezers make ideal storage for dry food storage. They moderate temperature swings nicely, have decent shelving, and are reasonably rodent and insect proof.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha ...well.......... freezer is running fine but I'm finding it difficult to stock it.

Called a well known local butcher about ordering a half a hog and they can't do it.
They were overwhelmed for business by the stimulus money.
They said call back in a week ...maybe.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a freezer that was bought in 1975 and ran on and off for years .
It keeps chugging a long , it dose burn a lot of power 550 watts running vs 120watts but it is a big up right unit vs chest freezer .
You would save money buying a modern unit now

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,922 Posts
Try the penny test, freeze a glass of water and put a few pennies on top. If it thaws out the pennies will drop.

In the interest of honesty I only have the standard fridge/freezer unit.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,459 Posts
I bought a Sears drop-in freezer in 1977. It's been in continuous use since then with zero problems. As long as the conpressor doesn't fail, it should run longer than I will.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts