Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
About as well as possible. A CME is most likely to affect things connected to the grid. I have an emp/trash can with spare electronics, radios, short wave. Other than that not much. My cars are fuel injected, so we might be on foot. But in theory... a CME should not be as destructive as an EMP. Hoping we don't find out.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,899 Posts
How prepared can anyone be? It'll be a sh*tshow no matter what.

I'm better prepared than 99 percent of the population, and I tend to doubt it will matter much.

That said, I think the key to such an event, if one is to have any chance of surviving it, is to make it past the first 45 days or so.

Here's my guess about what would happen (and it will vary by location):

For the first 48 hours, people will hunker down hoping that the power will come back on.

By the end of the first week, chaos will reign; might even start by the 3rd day. People will be panicked to find sources of clean water, and any kind of food. Some will figure out they can purify water by boiling it (if they can find fuel), and some by using chlorine.

By the end of the second week, most local fauna will be hunted out. Our local deer population, which herd numbers about 22, will be decimated. They're pretty tame (they walk through our yard all the time), so they'll be easy pickings. That may stave off some panic, but people still will be very distraught. We might see a significant number of deaths by then, from dying of thirst, violence, and for those who depend on electricity to stay alive, a lack of sufficient services to sustain them. How much thirst will be a problem depends on the local sources of water. Upper midwest? Maybe ok. Around the great lakes? Also maybe OK. Desert southwest of the US? Problem.

Those dead people will be an issue. Most local places will likely figure out a location to take the dead bodies, but burying them will obviously be a problem. Hauling bodies will be an issue with few or no working vehicles.

By the end of the third week, we'll see a lot of people gone. We'll also see the beginnings of people on psychotropic drugs whose medications are running out, and there's no resupply. Paranoia, depression, crazy violence--these are all likely consequences, especially with the enormous stress from just trying to survive.

One would also, in many places, expect roving gangs trying to "live off the land" as they go through houses looking for food and water. Many of the deaths noted above will come from gunshot wounds and bow and arrow.

By the end of 30 days, death will be rampant. People will be eating whatever they can get their hands on. It depends on when such an event would happen--if in the early fall, then local crops could mitigate hunger for a time. Apples, berries, sweet corn--these would help. If in the dead of winter, there would be severe problems heating places up north. People would crowd together in dwellings just to share heat.

By the end of 45 days, there will be enough death that many of the threats from the first 30 days will no longer exist. In some cases, people may band together to provide both security and shared sustenance. Those with mechanisms to purify water will be much ahead of others.

And after that? New meaning will be given to "living off the land." It'll truly be survivalism. Those with much food stored will be way ahead, provided they can keep it and defend against others who will do anything in desperation to get it.

No internet. No electricity. No cell service. No natural gas. No deliveries of fuel oil. No furnaces work, because no electricity.

Next to a widespread nuclear war, in the pantheon of disasters this is the worst scenario I can imagine.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, the wine locker is looking a bit pathetic. Is 8 beers a day emough for hydration? Luckily our annual Trader Joe's run is soon. ;)

How prepared can anyone be? It'll be a sh*tshow no matter what.

I'm better prepared than 99 percent of the population, and I tend to doubt it will matter much.

That said, I think the key to such an event, if one is to have any chance of surviving it, is to make it past the first 45 days or so.

Here's my guess about what would happen (and it will vary by location):

For the first 48 hours, people will hunker down hoping that the power will come back on.

By the end of the first week, chaos will reign; might even start by the 3rd day. People will be panicked to find sources of clean water, and any kind of food. Some will figure out they can purify water by boiling it (if they can find fuel), and some by using chlorine.

By the end of the second week, most local fauna will be hunted out. Our local deer population, which herd numbers about 22, will be decimated. They're pretty tame (they walk through our yard all the time), so they'll be easy pickings. That may stave off some panic, but people still will be very distraught. We might see a significant number of deaths by then, from dying of thirst, violence, and for those who depend on electricity to stay alive, a lack of sufficient services to sustain them. How much thirst will be a problem depends on the local sources of water. Upper midwest? Maybe ok. Around the great lakes? Also maybe OK. Desert southwest of the US? Problem.

Those dead people will be an issue. Most local places will likely figure out a location to take the dead bodies, but burying them will obviously be a problem. Hauling bodies will be an issue with few or no working vehicles.

By the end of the third week, we'll see a lot of people gone. We'll also see the beginnings of people on psychotropic whose medications are running out, and there's no resupply. Paranoia, depression, crazy violence--these are all likely consequences, especially with the enormous stress from just trying to survive.

One would also, in many places, expect roving gangs trying to "live off the land" as they go through houses looking for food and water. Many of the deaths noted above will come from gunshot wounds and bow and arrow.

By the end of 30 days, death will be rampant. People will be eating whatever they can get their hands on. It depends on when such an event would happen--if in the early fall, then local crops could mitigate hunger for a time. Apples, berries, sweet corn--these would help. If in the dead of winter, there would be severe problems heating places up north. People would crowd together in dwellings just to share heat.

By the end of 45 days, there will be enough death that many of the threats from the first 30 days will no longer exist. In some cases, people may band together to provide both security and shared sustenance. Those with mechanisms to purify water will be much ahead of others.

And after that? New meaning will be given to "living off the land." It'll truly be survivalism. Those with much food stored will be way ahead, provided they can keep it and defend against others who will do anything in desperation to get it.

No internet. No electricity. No cell service. No natural gas. No deliveries of fuel oil. No furnaces work, because no electricity.

Next to a widespread nuclear war, in the pantheon of disasters this is the worst scenario I can imagine.
Great comment Goose!

About all I might modify of what you said is the time line in some places. My town has had several extended power outages in the past several years. The first was no problem. Everyone stayed home. But I think the brigands are getting it figured out. Early last summer we dropped out for 24 hrs, and there were two break ins. The second affected the entire area when 120 power poles took out the local grid for 1 to 7 days. They are still fixing stuff. We had several vacation homes broken into last time.

I think the criminals are starting to plan. A LOT more people know about EMP now, and when their phones, cars and lights don't work, ZOWIE! The S is gonna HTF. I think within hours. Basically the second the barbarians realize the police aren't coming, it's going to go crazy.

Water too. The city wells started running out on day two as the backup generators failed. (Didn't affect us as we are on a separate private system.) We are in the desert SW and lack of water will happen very fast and cause massive death. Especially in the summer and in cities.

They are WRONG about living for three days without water. That is in a temperate / cool environment. When it's 120 in the shade and 165 in direct sun, people die here every summer within a few hours OR LESS without water. Places like Phoenix, without constant hydration, most people will be debilitated within 3 to 6 hours, and most will go unconcious or die in 12-48 hrs of organ failure.

Forget rampant gangs fighting for resources. Unless they have a water supply it'll largely be over by the end of the second day.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
How prepared are you ?

A lot less than I should be. And I'm an electronics hobbyist and should be on top of this. I cant explain it either? Laziness, lack of concern? I have some small gear tucked away in tins but so much of our stuff today is electronic it's daunting to consider protecting even half of it.

Thank's for the post. I'll do some more research on the topic and find a simple EMP cage design, perhaps line some cupboards with tinfoil. That might work? Overlapping foil all around on a cupboard with a tight fitting door so when the door is closed the foil compresses and makes a good seal.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
This subject has come up before. 99% of prepping for SHTF is the same.
You need food & ability to grow more food, water, shelter, weapons and ammo, heat and backup heat, preferably at least two backup power sources, solar, wind, generator, medical supplies / meds etc.

May I ask that word "grow" be changed to something like "obtain" or "catch".

Weather and security permitting, we will be net fishing in Bay along with collecting eel grass (AOK when baked).

Note to self: check inventory of malt vinegar.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

May I ask that word "grow" be changed to something like "obtain" or "catch".

Weather and security permitting, we will be net fishing in Bay along with collecting eel grass (AOK when baked).

Note to self: check inventory of malt vinegar.
More like I'm addition too. Game and fish will quickly disappear in a total SHTF, ant least until the unprepared die off

·
Bugged out already
5,006 Posts
(60) How Prepared Are We For A Carrington Level Solar Storm? - YouTube

How many folks here are prepared or thought about such an event?
When I bought the old Alaskan homestead that I now call home some 8 years ago, I spent the first 4 years getting it fully functional as it was originally designed as a completely off grid/no electricity homestead. While a CME/Carrington Event wasn't the primary reason I did this, I certainly recognized that what I was doing would be a big plus if such an event happened. The last 4 years I have focused on adding the more modern conveniences most of us enjoy (running water, indoor toilets, etc), I purposely did so while ensuring I had the ability to convert back to the old ways if things happened.

While life will be inconvenient if I lost all of the modern conveniences, it is still livable. What will suck is when the gas runs out and I am walking to get to firewood sources and using old school saws and axes where I now use chainsaws and side by sides to harvest. Yep, that will be inconvenient if the gas runs out or gets too old to use.

·
Dirt Dweller
1,922 Posts
For any event preps are always the same:
Water
Food
Meds
Self defense
My wife and I are avid bicyclists. I recently added a Burley bike trailer.
Product Wheel Font Motor vehicle Tire

I
Im in Florida so winter is not a problem. Living in the hurricane zone we have a large collection of candles . Also have a holster/scabbard for the bike to hold my Shockwave or my AR pistol.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
4,720 Posts
While life will be inconvenient if I lost all of the modern conveniences, it is still livable. What will suck is when the gas runs out and I am walking to get to firewood sources and using old school saws and axes where I now use chainsaws and side by sides to harvest. Yep, that will be inconvenient if the gas runs out or gets too old to use.
I wonder if any of those big ATV or UTV can be converted to Propane.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have a three tier electric system. First is grid power. Second a generac backup system. Thirdly a moderately sized solar system. I recently installed a cutoff so I can hook up a small portable generator for needed systems.
I realize my first three tiers will be affected to greater or lesser degrees by a large EMP type event but how about the fourth tier. How do I need to store the smaller backup Ginny to keep it safe? Or will it not be affected if it’s in the box and not hooked up so to speak?

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a three tier electric system. First is grid power. Second a generac backup system. Thirdly a moderately sized solar system. I recently installed a cutoff so I can hook up a small portable generator for needed systems.
I realize my first three tiers will be affected to greater or lesser degrees by a large EMP type event but how about the fourth tier. How do I need to store the smaller backup Ginny to keep it safe? Or will it not be affected if it’s in the box and not hooked up so to speak?
Buy extra parts. Spare voltage regulator and ignition unit would be good, along with an air filter, fuel filter, brushes for the alternator, and carburetor. I would also think about spare parts for your solar system.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts