Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i just bought a 22 mag rifle and i was wondering how often should i clean it ? i will be only shooting CCI Maxi Mag 22 WMR (22 Mag) 40gr JHP Rimfire Ammo . thank you

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I clean mine about once a year. It does not get shot often and then only one or two rounds. Mostly it get dust from sitting. 22 mag is a very under rated round. I'm sure you will enjoy it. As a rule you clean you weapon when it is dirty. Most debris is rather hard to see so clean it when in doubt. Of note, do not damage the barrel or crown. the crown can be damaged by cleaning and your accuracy will decline.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
OMG. You did it.:xeye:
I honestly can’t think of a worse .22 mag rifle.

.22 mag is not generally lead round nose, and it’s going fast, so the typical jacketed bullets can leave material behind, especially if you shoot lots, fast, and heat things up.

BUT. Since yours is a single shot, you could probably get away with once a year.

“Clean” it every few hundred rounds. Pull a Bore snake through after each multi round session.

“Cleaning” it every time you use it, after shooting 2 or 3 or 20 rounds, is not needed, and will wear the gun out faster than NOT cleaning at all.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Clean the barrel when you see changes in accuracy.
You can tell when the action needs it by simply looking.

A good dry lubricant will keep things working without holding debris.

Anything other than that is pointless.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have one of those,I like it,it's a beat around on tractor gun,I've had mine about a year or so,I gave it good cleaning when new,then a good cleaning after I sighted it in,I wipe it down every day or two with a oily rag. Time for another good cleaning bolts getting stiff,probably a collection of dust and dirt,yep I know it's to expensive for a single shot,and a hard bones rifle,however it does just what I wanted,small, light, and will fit about anywhere on tractor,and cheap enough I don't care if it gets buggered up.ive only shot a few squirrels with it and little bit of plinking,I thought about putting scope on it,I can shoot the peep sight good enough even with my eyes so I'll leave it be.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I clean my rifles periodically depending on how often they are shot.

My grandfather was a gunsmith and I remember many times a customer brought in a rifle and had him shorten it a bit and recrown because the muzzle was funneled out. Granted this was with lever action type rifles and rifles that were difficult to clean from the chamber. Bolt actions with easy to remove bolts are a different manner. Smokeless powder made a difference as well.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,378 Posts
hello i just bought a 22 mag rifle and i was wondering how often should i clean it ? i will be only shooting CCI Maxi Mag 22 WMR (22 Mag) 40gr JHP Rimfire Ammo . thank you
When you mentioned "Cricket," I pictured a tiny, pink, bolt action that
is less than 3 pounds. But I looked it up, and it actually looks like a
decent rifle for the price. It's only the 22LR that comes in pink.

This brand is often bought by people who want to teach their little
son or daughter to shoot.

Its a good habit to clean a rifle after every time you shoot it. But with
modern bullets, you can get away with just cleaning one to keep the rust
off and keeping the carbon from building up.

How often should you change your socks and underwear? If you live in
an igloo, don't have a change of clothes, and its a hundred below,
a lot less often than I would. Let your circumstances dictate how often
you clean that rifle. But when you put it away to store it for more than
a week, I suggest you clean it, put a light coat of Rem oil, and store it
in a gun sock.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
An old hunting friend started his ground squirrel shooting with a mossberg 22 mag single shot. By the time I met him the rifle was long gone. He sang praises to that rifle. That rifle gave him the ground work for the hunt, he was a good shot. When we shot together he shot a 223. Later went down to a 17 mag rimfire. We all started somewhere. I still have a 22 mag or two. Great guns, took one out two weeks ago. for most serious squirrel hunts, I bring a 22-250. Around the place I grab a 22 pcp. Think back to your first squirrel rifle, it will bring a smile to your face.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My issues are LOP is pretty short for normal sized person,I've been going to make a spacer to lengthen around a inch just havnt yet.Other issue is chamber opens just barely enough to fit .22Mag in there probably be just fine if I didnt have big fat fingers.
Considering the rifle is designed for small kids these are not problems for the rifle,they are problems for me using the rifle LOP is a easy fix,getting the round in chamber with big ol meat hooks isnt difficult with little practice.
I think youll like the little rifle.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I like the 22 mag round but not the CCI 22 mag ammo. Since CCI uses a soft lead plated bullet instead of a real jacket like Winchester, Remington and Armscor/Fiochhi does it will foul my barrels in about 25-50 rounds where I start to see the accuracy drop off.

I really like the CCI 22lr ammo just not the mag stuff. And the CCI is not loaded as hot as the Winchester 22 mag I normally use and will land about 3" lower at 100 yards so that I have to adjust the scope to use it. Now I will only shoot CCI 22 mag ammo in my Ruger single six and once I am out I will buy no more of it.

With the 22 mag loads that have a jacketed bullet I can go over 100 shots before I clean. I don't normally shoot hundreds of rounds in the 22 mag at one time anyway. And like a few others have stated I clean my rifles after every session. My 22 mag rifles are both Marlins. A model 783 I bought in 1982 and a used 883 SS/ laminate I bought 10 years ago. Fantastic rifles.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts